12-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
Goop leaking out of doors and rear hatch?

I've noticed that there are trails of a greyish goop that are leaking out of the front doors and also out of the centerline drain of my rear hatch.
I've never seen that on a new car and haven't seen references to this on the board, but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms...

I'm figuring that it is some sort of internal panel coating that was applied a bit too liberally at the factory.

Just take it back to the dealer for a bath and detail?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
keep up with it cuz it's already left a permanent 'scar' on my ppf after my car sat at the dealer for almost 2 months. my saving grace is that my car is Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 06:27 AM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Hund View Post
I've noticed that there are trails of a greyish goop that are leaking out of the front doors and also out of the centerline drain of my rear hatch.
I've never seen that on a new car and haven't seen references to this on the board, but maybe I'm using the wrong search terms...

I'm figuring that it is some sort of internal panel coating that was applied a bit too liberally at the factory.

Just take it back to the dealer for a bath and detail?

TIA
Waxy gunk coming out of the door drain is Cosmoline (rust preventative) applied during manufacturing. Most of it gets washed off at VPC and ends up inside the door where it seeps out - more so during summer months when it gets hot.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1640959
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      12-08-2021, 04:23 PM   #4
RC_Hund
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Garage List
  [0.00]
Thanks for the better use of search engine. I'd rather be cleaning that off of an old ma deuce instead of my X5...

-R

[QUOTE=Auricom;28338270]Waxy gunk coming out of the door drain is Cosmoline (rust preventative) applied during manufacturing. Most of it gets washed off at VPC and ends up inside the door where it seeps out - more so during summer months when it gets hot.
Appreciate 0