BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #1
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota 4runner TRD Pro

Has anyone put AT tires on their 20" rims.....

I live in the mountains and before I place my build order, I'm curious to know if anyone else has done the following (I plan on doing some light off road trails --certainly no serious rock crawling):

specifically, swap out their AS Run flats on 20" 275's for some AT tires.
I went to tire rack and saw this is feasible, as there is a set of General Grabbers that can be fitted on the stock 20" M sport wheels on either the 40i xdrive or the M50i, which was reassuring.
I'm curious to know if there are any issues with the drive train or ride after any of you have made this swap.

I'm also curious to know if the space saver tire compartment is big enough to keep a full sized AT tire in there (I'm guessing no). That could be problematic in that if I got a flat on an AT tire, I'm not sure if the RF spare would be compatible.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 30d

Yes. I put a set of grabber AT3 s on a set of 20 inch. 275/45 square set up. I only use them in the winter as they are m+s rated with the 3 peak snowflake certification. Ive used them on some pretty muddy off-road tracks and they performed fine . The Atx are better for more serious off reading. I put the 22 inch wheels back on for the summer with the contis prem contact.
I have 7 seats so no room for spare .
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro55 View Post
Yes. I put a set of grabber AT3 s on a set of 20 inch. 275/45 square set up. I only use them in the winter as they are m+s rated with the 3 peak snowflake certification. Ive used them on some pretty muddy off-road tracks and they performed fine . The Atx are better for more serious off reading. I put the 22 inch wheels back on for the summer with the contis prem contact.
I have 7 seats so no room for spare .

That's helpful, thanks How did the General Grabbers do in dry weather? Were they rough on pavement? I won't have air suspension and will likely keep them on year round.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No noise difference between the 22 and the 20 At3s.
I think these latest incarnations of general grabbers have improved no end from the originals. Good road manners. I read that BMW use them for their off road driving course and it says in the literature that they provide a marketing recommendation for them whatever that means.
Probably it’s too expensive to get them a star rating but you can officially use them anyway.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #5
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

AT3 grabber. Wheels were third party but suitable for winter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:44 PM   #6
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

They look really good. And it doesn't seem as though having M brakes are a hindrance to fitting AT tires on OEM wheels?

My use case is going to be as a DD with very short trips to work (about a mile each way), along with 350 mile round trips about 2 weekends a month, the occasional 900 mile road trip every couple of months, and exploring lots of outdoor places for hiking, etc, which will be anywhere from 45 min to 90 min trips each way on some weekends.
I live about 7k feet above sea level in the mountains as a fyi.

Ergo, I'm going with 20" wheels so I can fit some 275 AT tires on there and get rid of the RF's.......... perhaps after about a year or so (haven't decided on that one).
To make AT tires work on the X drive system, I know I can't have staggered wheels, and I thought I had to opt out of the M brakes as wel, but that doesn't seem to be the case looking at your set up.

That's the other reason I'm not sure the M50 -- with that added power-- makes a lot of sense for me. But damn, would it be fun to be able to have perhaps one of the last of the TT V8's and still be able to make it somewhat off road capable.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin1md View Post
They look really good. And it doesn't seem as though having M brakes are a hindrance to fitting AT tires on OEM wheels?

My use case is going to be as a DD with very short trips to work (about a mile each way), along with 350 mile round trips about 2 weekends a month, the occasional 900 mile road trip every couple of months, and exploring lots of outdoor places for hiking, etc, which will be anywhere from 45 min to 90 min trips each way on some weekends.

Ergo, I'm going with 20" wheels so I can fit some 275 AT tires on there and get rid of the RF's.......... perhaps after about a year or so (haven't decided on that one).
To make AT tires work on the X drive system, I know I can't have staggered wheels, and I thought I had to opt out of the M brakes as wel, but that doesn't seem to be the case looking at your set up.

That's the other reason I'm not sure the M50 -- with that added power-- makes a lot of sense for me. But damn, would it be fun to be able to have perhaps one of the last of the TT V8's and still be able to make it somewhat off road capable.
Couple of clarifications on your comments.

1. 2NH M Sport brakes doesn't have bearing on your tire selection - summer performance/all-season/snow, only wheel size as long as it clears the brake calipers.

The smallest factory wheel size that will clear the factory brakes is 9Jx19 ET38 eg BMW Style 735:

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6...EEL---TIRE-SET

2. You can have staggered 20" wheels 9" front 275/45R20 x 10.5" rear 305/40R20 as this is the staggered set for international markets - as the overall wheel + tire diameter is identical front and rear.

As long as your overall wheel + tire diameter is within 1% front and rear, there are no xDrive issues.

Appreciate 1
      11-27-2021, 09:41 PM   #8
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
I live in the mountains and before I place my build order, I'm curious to know if anyone else has done the following (I plan on doing some light off road trails --certainly no serious rock crawling):

I went to tire rack and saw this is feasible, as there is a set of General Grabbers that can be fitted on the stock 20" M sport wheels on either the 40i xdrive or the M50i, which was reassuring.
I'm curious to know if there are any issues with the drive train or ride after any of you have made this swap.

I'm also curious to know if the space saver tire compartment is big enough to keep a full sized AT tire in there (I'm guessing no). That could be problematic in that if I got a flat on an AT tire, I'm not sure if the RF spare would be compatible.
maxemus has Nitto Ridge Grapplers
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=451
      11-28-2021, 11:24 PM   #9
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post

1. 2NH M Sport brakes doesn't have bearing on your tire selection - summer performance/all-season/snow, only wheel size as long as it clears the brake calipers.

The smallest factory wheel size that will clear the factory brakes is 9Jx19 ET38 eg BMW Style 735:

2. You can have staggered 20" wheels 9" front 275/45R20 x 10.5" rear 305/40R20 as this is the staggered set for international markets - as the overall wheel + tire diameter is identical front and rear.

As long as your overall wheel + tire diameter is within 1% front and rear, there are no xDrive issues.

So in essence, with the stock 20" wheels, I shouldn't have any issues with installing those General Grabber AT tires, regardless of whether I add M sport brakes or not?

Curious to see if there are other AT tire options that weren't on tire rack. Generally, they do a good job of including all options that are compatible, but I'm sure there must be other options that fall within the 1% diameter specs you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So in essence, with the stock 20" wheels, I shouldn't have any issues with installing those General Grabber AT tires, regardless of whether I add M sport brakes or not?

Curious to see if there are other AT tire options that weren't on tire rack. Generally, they do a good job of including all options that are compatible, but I'm sure there must be other options that fall within the 1% diameter specs you mentioned.
With 20" BMW stock G05 wheels, they're guaranteed to clear. Tires don't have any bearing on clearing 2NH M sport brakes.

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
bruin1md
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

How do you like the M sport brakes for winter driving? Do you think they provide any decided advantage over standard brakes on slippery/icy roads? Any downsides?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:42 AM   #12
Pro55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ive found the M sport brakes to be sharp and precise. I would definitely choose them over standard. It’s a 2 tonne suv and does require stopping from speed. Only downside I guess is rotors and pads probably cost a little more than standard to replace. On an icy road they will make no difference though to stopping as you won’t have the traction anyway, but you will be braking many more times on a non icy road.!!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:00 PM   #13
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

In the attached, see pages 76 & 77
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 02_G05 Powertrain-Chassis.pdf (3.61 MB, 26 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #14
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:

Does that mean 18" wheels won't work on an X5 45e? I have the 19" Alenza RFs with 25,000 miles on them. I'm thinking about what next when it's their time to go. Planning some trips up into northern NM, AZ and CO, so looking at ATs or All Weathers. Can't find any in 19", only 18 or 20".
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 06:31 PM   #15
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwainA View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Does that mean 18" wheels won't work on an X5 45e? I have the 19" Alenza RFs with 25,000 miles on them. I'm thinking about what next when it's their time to go. Planning some trips up into northern NM, AZ and CO, so looking at ATs or All Weathers. Can't find any in 19", only 18 or 20".
Correct, 18" wheels won't fit in front due to 45e's standard larger front 2-piston calipers which are identical to 2NH M Sport calipers (but without the ///M branding and color)

Appreciate 1
DwainA171.00
      12-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #16
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Correct, 18" wheels won't fit in front due to 45e's standard larger front 2-piston calipers which are identical to 2NH M Sport calipers (but without the ///M branding and color)
Anyone have suggestions for an "aggressive " RF in 19"?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:42 AM   #17
DwainA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So, I've found 19" AT tires to put on my OE Style 734 wheels. I'm also waiting for my hitch mounted spare tire carrier to arrive. Thinking through that spare, can the 45e monitor the TPMS in the spare? Will having a TPMS in the spare confuse the 45e?
Appreciate 0