BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #23
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
One more questions. Did the kit come with specific color speakers? how else are they lighting up the cone?
The tweeter covers came with tweeters from the seller that I bought from, but you would need to pay extra if you would like to have speakers with your kit. I personally do not recommend the speakers, and have already replaced tweeters and the front door speakers. The combination of Alpine tweeters and Kicker speakers sound WAY better.
The cone lights up by ambient lighting that comes with the new covers. Name:  IMG_0760.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  429.7 KB
Appreciate 3
      01-30-2021, 01:57 PM   #24
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus2002 View Post
Quote:
One more questions. Did the kit come with specific color speakers? how else are they lighting up the cone?
The tweeter covers came with tweeters from the seller that I bought from, but you would need to pay extra if you would like to have speakers with your kit. I personally do not recommend the speakers, and have already replaced tweeters and the front door speakers. The combination of Alpine tweeters and Kicker speakers sound WAY better.
The cone lights up by ambient lighting that comes with the new covers. Attachment 2516990
Quote:
Quote:
The cone lights up by ambient lighting that comes with the new covers. Attachment 2516990
Do the ambient lights change with idrive? Or is there a separate controller?

I'm heavily considering this for primarily the lights in the grills.

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #25
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post

Yes, the lights change with iDrive. Lights in the speaker covers were the only reason I got the covers, not the logo on the covers.
Name:  IMG_0741.jpg
Views: 2097
Size:  378.5 KB
Appreciate 3
      01-30-2021, 10:37 PM   #26
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, the lights change with iDrive. Lights in the speaker covers were the only reason I got the covers, not the logo on the covers.
Attachment 2517587
I wonder if they have an x6 version. All covers and different sizes.

Plug and play on the lights?

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:13 PM   #27
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I wonder if they have an x6 version. All covers and different sizes.

Plug and play on the lights?
My quick search shows no sign of speaker covers for your X6, I could have missed it, but I can't find any.
For the lights, it is all plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 11:27 PM   #28
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

I just would like to give an update to anyone who is interested. I replaced the tweeters and the speakers that I bought with the kit. I also installed an 8 channel JBL amplifier, and the outcome results are AWESOME. The amp is totally concealed, and hidden once I put on the first aid lid/door compartment.

Name:  IMG_0737.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  730.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0748.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  627.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0765.jpg
Views: 2323
Size:  358.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0750.jpg
Views: 2290
Size:  288.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0755.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  499.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0766.jpg
Views: 2315
Size:  217.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0769.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  274.6 KB

Last edited by Maximus2002; 01-31-2021 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 2
ladra17.50
      01-31-2021, 03:35 AM   #29
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 50d

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
I just would like to give an update to anyone who is interested. I replaced the tweeters and the speakers that I bought with the kit. I also installed an 8 channel JBL amplifier, and the outcome results are AWESOME. The amp is totally concealed, and hidden once I put on the first aid lid/door compartment.

Attachment 2517839

Attachment 2517843

Attachment 2517844

Attachment 2517845

Attachment 2517846

Attachment 2517847

Attachment 2517848
Great job thanks for sharing! Was it simple to take the cover off the tweeter casing? Just a few screws?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 12:09 PM   #30
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pringle View Post
Great job thanks for sharing! Was it simple to take the cover off the tweeter casing? Just a few screws?
My pleasure. The tweeters are secures in the housing with three prongs that snap in, and it isn't hard to remove them. The Alpine tweeters went in with no problem, and I was able to install everything back in, just had to use a few dots of RTV Silicone to make it secure ant tight in place.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 02:54 PM   #31
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure. The tweeters are secures in the housing with three prongs that snap in, and it isn't hard to remove them. The Alpine tweeters went in with no problem, and I was able to install everything back in, just had to use a few dots of RTV Silicone to make it secure ant tight in place.
Fantastic pictures man!

Quick question re: install:

1. How easy was wiring? Did you have to splice or do any additional wiring for the lights?

2. Do you recommend any tools to help pry the speaker covers?

I'm thinking of just replacing the HK covers cause I really like this lighting effect but I'm perfectly fine with the audio
      01-31-2021, 03:51 PM   #32
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smomin23 View Post
Fantastic pictures man!

1. How easy was wiring? Did you have to splice or do any additional wiring for the lights?

I'm thinking of just replacing the HK covers cause I really like this lighting effect but I'm perfectly fine with the audio
Thank you.

Answers to your great questions:
1- Very easy, no splicing, no cutting at all. There are three or four different ambient light plugs to choose from, you gently pry one plug out and install the provided wire harness in series with the one you just unplugged, remember to not put any force on the door panel light plugs.

Name:  IMG_0759.jpg
Views: 2287
Size:  195.1 KB

2. T20 hex drive. Plastic pry tools. Long nose pliers. The covers were glued to the door panel with molded plastic, so you would need some different size wire cutters. I had to remove the light panels in order to be able to replace the original speaker covers. The covers come with screws and washers, so a Philips screw driver would be needed.

Name:  IMG_0736.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  441.7 KB

You would not need to replace your original speakers. I had HiFi speakers, so had to upgrade. In total, it took me almost 5 hours to finish the project on two different days. I took my time to make sure not to break anything. The outcome satisfied me a lot, specially with the amp upgrade.
Let me know if you have any other question.

Last edited by Maximus2002; 05-16-2021 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 4
smomin23311.00
ladra17.50
seoul32.00
      01-31-2021, 05:06 PM   #33
smomin23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Fantastic pictures man!

Thank you.

1- Very easy, no splicing, no cutting at all. There are three or four different ambient light plugs to choose from, you gently pry one plug out and install the provided wire harness in series with the one you just unplugged, remember to not put any force on the door panel light plugs.

Attachment 2518245

2. T20 hex drive. Plastic pry tools. Long nose pliers. The covers were glued to the door panel with molded plastic, so you would need some different size wire cutters. I had to remove the light panels in order to be able to replace the original speaker covers. The covers come with screws and washers, so a Philips screw driver would be needed.

Attachment 2518252

You would not need to replace your original speakers. I had HiFi speakers, so had to upgrade. In total, it took me almost 5 hours to finish the project on two different days. I took my time to make sure to not break anything. The outcome satisfy me a lot, specially with the amp upgrade.
Thank you so much man! Takes a load off knowing I don't have to deal with splicing etc.

Truly plug and play and sounds like the hardest part is the actual removal of the covers which just requires patience.

Thank you again!
      01-31-2021, 05:26 PM   #34
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much man! Takes a load off knowing I don't have to deal with splicing etc.

Truly plug and play and sounds like the hardest part is the actual removal of the covers which just requires patience.

Thank you again!
That is exactly right, having the patience is the hardest part, otherwise all plug and play with a great result

Always my pleasure to help
Appreciate 3
smomin23311.00
seoul32.00
      02-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #35
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure. My BMW came with Hi-Fi speakers, so I don't have the option of changing the colors individually, but I have no complaints. I haven't bought the center cover yet. My plan was to purchase those covers individually, first to try them out and make sure that I could install and like the outcome, but it would be on my to do list.
Attachment 2516605
Yep it comes with silver speakers, but according to Maximus they don't sound great.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #36
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yep it comes with silver speakers, but according to Maximus they don't sound great.
Correct, you have the option to purchase the speakers as well with the kit. I mean, the speakers with the kit sound way better than the HiFi speakers, but didn't satisfy me all the way, specially the tweeters were a downgrade to the factory tweeters.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #37
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Correct, you have the option to purchase the speakers as well with the kit. I mean, the speakers with the kit sound way better than the HiFi speakers, but didn't satisfy me all the way, specially the tweeters were a downgrade to the factory tweeters.
I am interested to see what they'll look like with different cones, which colour cones will you be replacing them with? I'm planning to keep my HK's at first so will upload pics also.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #38
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

These look very beautiful! I first saw B&W with the beautiful silver grilles on the Volvo XC90 with the stunning contrast light yellow cones, and now these! I have the Harman/Kardon on mine. I agree there's plenty of room for improvement but it does the job sufficiently for me, and I enjoy the sound. BUT I would really like one with silver grilles and which light up with ambient light colours!

Nothing against you modding up your car to your liking, but like some others here, the fact that they have some other brand on it puts me off enough not to change them. I consider myself a bit of a traditionalist who prefers keeping everything factory-spec, even if it means being not as good or more expensive. If H/K made silver grilles which light up I'd certainly be very interested.

The Volvos (just a Google screen grap) in case anyone hasn't seen them:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #39
Maximus2002
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I am interested to see what they'll look like with different cones, which colour cones will you be replacing them with? I'm planning to keep my HK's at first so will upload pics also.
I have already replaced the front door speakers with 3.5" Kicker speakers. No need to purchase the speakers with the kit, just the covers would be enough, but you might want to replace the tweeters that come with the kit. These pictures are taken with the Kicker speakers installed in the front doors.
Have you ordered the kit yet? Definitely update us with your pictures

Name:  IMG_0751.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  592.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0790.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  404.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0793.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  347.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0794.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  304.2 KB
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 05:04 AM   #40
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have already replaced the front door speakers with 3.5" Kicker speakers. No need to purchase the speakers with the kit, just the covers would be enough, but you might want to replace the tweeters that come with the kit. These pictures are taken with the Kicker speakers installed in the front doors.
Have you ordered the kit yet? Definitely update us with your pictures

Attachment 2521211

Attachment 2521212

Attachment 2521213

Attachment 2521214
Wow so much more colour even with the black speakers than I expected! Nice looks awesome!
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #41
otommytruongo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 g05

Quote:
Thank you.

Attachment 2518245

Attachment 2518252

You would not need to replace your original speakers. I had HiFi speakers, so had to upgrade. In total, it took me almost 5 hours to finish the project on two different days. I took my time to make sure to not break anything. The outcome satisfy me a lot, specially with the amp upgrade.
Just fot the whole kit today from aliaexpress. Quality of these cover are very good. I have a few questionsto ask to help withmy install if u dont mind helping me?. Also. To replace the silver speaker wire. D i use the original screws from the factory or i need to buy addition sceew to mount the silver cover on?. Also it came with 4 diffrents connector wire. Can you show me which wire connecter to use and goes where? Thank alot
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 02:34 AM   #42
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My pleasure. My BMW came with Hi-Fi speakers, so I don't have the option of changing the colors individually, but I have no complaints. I haven't bought the center cover yet. My plan was to purchase those covers individually, first to try them out and make sure that I could install and like the outcome, but it would be on my to do list.
Attachment 2516605
They're connected to the ambient light, so they change with whatever colour you set your ambient lighting to.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 02:35 AM   #43
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Just got mine fitted, have to say they look great!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 02:37 AM   #44
Mr.Pringle
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
The main reason for me buying it is the original dash plate seems to have felt sticking out, which really bothered me. This one is a lot better, plus I'm going to modify the sound system ✊🏻
Attached Images

Appreciate 0