BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-19-2021, 07:02 AM   #1
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Lightbulb Cabin air filter. Here is how you change it. (DIY) Also access to internal fuse box.

G05 X5 Cabin air filter access:
I took some time around our ventilation system to see where the cabin air filters were and how to change them. First, the new G05 does not have a exterior pollen filter in front of the windshield under the hood.
What we have is two charcoal panel filters located under the front passenger foot well. This is where the blower motor is located, cabin air filter box, and the fuse box.

To access these items you must remove the plastic panel in the front passengers foot well. It is located around the lower airbag unit. The panel has the foot well light attached to it. There are two thumbs screws that you turn 90°. Pull the panel slightly down in the front and pull it toward you as the rear has guide hooks it will release from.
Unhook the plug to the footwell light and pull off the wire ring plug holding it to the panel. Now the panel is free and remove it from the car. Before doing this lay at towel down across your door sills to avoid scratching the aluminum. You are going to be half laying inside and out on top of them

This is the back of the footwell panel. Note the heavy sound insulation BMW uses in the G05.

You can now see the fuse box, fan blower motor and cabin filter housing.

Unscrew the two torx bolts from the panel lid. Once removed, pull the white rubber drain tube off the panel lid.

At this point the two panel filters probably fell from their housing. Note the direction they came out as the filters are airflow specific.

Inspect and clean or just replace the two panel filters. You can use a soft brush and vacuum the pleats if they are not too dirty. Mine were really clean after 2500 miles. I gave them a quick vacuuming and sprayed both sides with lysol to kill any germs or odors.

Reverse the process to reinstall. Remember to reconnect the white rubber drain tube. It’s pretty ease to replace the cabin air filters and I see this being done more often since we don’t have a pollen filter under the hood.
Appreciate 2
ewizzle34.50
thezarb14.00
      07-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
tkisir