BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-18-2023, 08:49 PM   #45
mgmavant
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi, 2023 X5M50

To be honest, a set of ramps makes this one of the easiest oil changes. There's probably enough room to get the filter off, but that wouldn't leave a lot of room for an oil catch pan.

I've been changing oil for 35 years, and I just bought a set of ramps about a year ago - can't believe I waited so long! It honestly makes changing the oil so easy. I got the RhinoRamps Max for like $80 and they've been great. I've used them for the X5, a 328, a Ford Flex and a Toyota Prius. They take up very little space so they stow away nicely when I'm not using them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 07:54 AM   #46
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Useful pic MGM. Might add a couple of minutes but it probably be the usual fare of jack stands. I know there's a huge fanbase for the Rhino's, but between plastic ramps and if not the extra space it takes up - yeah, I know they stack, I figured this was probably going to be the next recommend option
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 05:54 PM   #47
mgmavant
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi, 2023 X5M50

For me, using the rampa makes things go much faster - not to mention more enjoyable because I'm not dripping oil all over the place. The nice thing about those ramps is that I just stand them up on end and they take up very little space (I have very little storage *******. I'm honestly kicking myself for not getting a set years ago. Previously, I've always used a jack and jack stands to do a job like this.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2023, 06:57 AM   #48
slilley
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

For anyone who's considering ramps, be sure to check out Race Ramps! I've purchased a lot of their products over the years, because I've found that the older I get, the more clearance I want when working under my cars. I'd strongly recommend the 2-piece ramps, the 2-piece cribs, and a set of wheel chocks for anyone new to Race Ramps. Here's a picture showing the 8" high Race Ramps that I had. This may have been the project that convinced me I needed another set of taller Race Ramps which raised the car an additional 2". Fortunately, it was super-easy selling this set locally on Facebook Marketplace for probably 70% what I originally paid for it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0