BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #67
Nubs61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix

Looks great....sorry you had to be the guinea pig. The light means everything at night. Based on all the coding exoerts on this forum it didnt sound that cut and dry and effects many other components. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 07:11 PM   #68
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs61 View Post
Looks great....sorry you had to be the guinea pig. The light means everything at night. Based on all the coding exoerts on this forum it didnt sound that cut and dry and effects many other components. Good luck!
90min later the cameras came to live, one weird thing I noticed when I engaged reverse, CarPlay suddenly opened with no reason and then the warning came on.
who knows if the problem was caused by CarPlay instead of the installation of the crystal knob?

Can you explain in easier words what do you meant when you wrote "the coding experts on this forum it didnt sound that cut and dry and effects many other components"
      03-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #69
Nubs61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550ix

I just meant I thought others had mentioned that retrofitting the knob (not installed at build) could impact other electronics/coding since it may not be a simple and direct conversion. I am not the expert in this area and have learned a lot by the true tech/mod folks on this forum. I still have to ask my adult children to help me with my iphone.

Sorry if I confused you.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:44 PM   #70
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs61 View Post
I just meant I thought others had mentioned that retrofitting the knob (not installed at build) could impact other electronics/coding since it may not be a simple and direct conversion. I am not the expert in this area and have learned a lot by the true tech/mod folks on this forum. I still have to ask my adult children to help me with my iphone.

Sorry if I confused you.
No confusion, just a lack of good English from my side, thanks for taking your time explaining.

I just hope it's not the beginning of electronic bugs, and it was just an isolated case
      03-12-2020, 03:58 AM   #71
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by motex View Post
As promised, here's the the crystal knob installed.
We found an issue during installation, the "X" inside the crystal has no illumination, they tried re coding the car without any luck, so the knob will have no illumination at night until they find a way to activate it (if there is one.....)
The "P" from the little square "parking" button works fine (red color), for me is not a big deal, I love the look of it, check it out:

UPDATE: All cameras stop working, going back to the dealer......

Attachment 2257491
Does yours illuminate white during the day at all?

Mine is illuminated round the clock, only the colour changes to white in daytime.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 01:07 PM   #72
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
No illumination at all, just the little "P" button in red color, but the knob itself has no illumination.
Can you post pictures how it looks at night mostly?
      03-13-2020, 03:42 AM   #73
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Here is the night illumination

Its odd that its not lit on yours - clearly there is power going to the light circuit as the P is lit, unless the P and the X are on different circuits
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 05:07 AM   #74
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Its odd that its not lit on yours - clearly there is power going to the light circuit as the P is lit, unless the P and the X are on different circuits
I remember looking on real oem for these parts when this subject was first introduced. It seems on real oem that the control panel is a different part number when you have the glass controls. Wonder if he's missing the correct circuitry because he didn't replace the control panel too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #75
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

I remember looking on real oem for these parts when this subject was first introduced. It seems on real oem that the control panel is a different part number when you have the glass controls. Wonder if he's missing the correct circuitry because he didn't replace the control panel too.
Thanks for the picture, I think you and the previous poster are right, probably my car is missing a circuitry that illuminates the X on the knob since the car was not built with this feature
      03-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #76
motex
Costa Rica
Rep

Garage List
This is the old knob that came from factory
Attached Images

04-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #77
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

The color of the 'X' logo inside the crystal shifter does not change with the color of the ambient lighting does it?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #78
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
The color of the 'X' logo inside the crystal shifter does not change with the color of the ambient lighting does it?
No. It's white during the day and amber at night.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:33 PM   #79
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5 40i mSport

Question So torn...

Glass controls better value over sky lounge or leather dash?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #80
Bilajio
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpitts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
My wife wants to order the glass controls in X5. Just wondering if we can still write on top of the iDrive glass controller for entering addresses in navigation? The top of the regular iDrive acts like a touch track mouse to enter stuff in navigation, so not sure if this feature is still available with glass controls. Otherwise it's a downgrade.
Yes you can. No issues at all as there is no crystal on top of the iDrive wheel/mouse. That said, you can enter the address by voice as well, which I find to be even more convenient.
Quote:
Quote:
My wife wants to order the glass controls in X5. Just wondering if we can still write on top of the iDrive glass controller for entering addresses in navigation? The top of the regular iDrive acts like a touch track mouse to enter stuff in navigation, so not sure if this feature is still available with glass controls. Otherwise it's a downgrade.
Yes you can. No issues at all as there is no crystal on top of the iDrive wheel/mouse. That said, you can enter the address by voice as well, which I find to be even more convenient.
Did you know if you however your finger over the centre screen a virtual keyboard appears, I've been using this and it's easier than using the write/I drive controller function
      05-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #81
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwong View Post
If only choosing one out of three I would chose:

1st sky lounge

2nd crafted clarity

3rd leather dash

I have all three. Happy with all of them

If the normal moon roof is available in your country and you have it I would chose differently:

CC
LD
SL
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:51 PM   #82
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for sharing. I live in Toronto (Canada), and the panoramic roof comes standard. The Sky Lounge would be for the lighting only.

All three are beautiful together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

1st sky lounge

2nd crafted clarity

3rd leather dash

If the normal moon roof is available in your country and you have it I would chose differently:

CC
LD
SL

Last edited by Jwong; 05-18-2020 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #83
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing. I live in Toronto (Canada), and the panoramic roof comes standard. The Sky Lounge would be for the lighting only.

All three are beautiful together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post

1st sky lounge

2nd crafted clarity

3rd leather dash

CC
LD
SL
For me sky lounge was part of a package.

I don't think I would have picked it separately. I would have just chosen the normal moon roof. You don't really see it as a driver.

The cristal knob and leather dash you see all the time.

I didn't see a sensatec dash in the x5. I had one in my 6 GT. It wasn't bad either.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      05-19-2020, 12:21 AM   #84
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

Quote:
Yes, IMO. I have all 3 as well...If I could only pick one, I'd go with the Glass Controls. It's all about personal preference, but II'd rank them as follows:
1. Glass Controls (Very cool and really dresses up the interior)
2. Sky Lounge (Very cool at night, but during the day, it initially seemed a bit odd to see all of the tiny "bubbles" that catch the light. I've gotten used to it. You certainly lose some clarity in the roof with the Sky Lounge. Note: I have a GO6, so the overall Panoramic Moonroof is smaller. Same is true for the Panoramic Sky Lounge.)
3. Leather Dash (I loved my leather dash in my F15. In the G06, it doesn't seem quite as nice...)
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      05-19-2020, 02:16 AM   #85
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:
Quote:
Is this true it acts like a touch pad. ????
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:12 AM   #86
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Is this true it acts like a touch pad. ????
Yes you can write on it to enter an adres for navigation or name for phone

Only works in idrive not in CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #87
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I agree with X5 45e. I have all 3 opitions and I would list them in this order, most "impactful" first

1) Glass controls - I love them - they make the cabin look next level. Everyone who rides in my car comments on them.

2) Leather Dash - Post MY2019, the sensatec dash is standard, which has the appearance of leather. IMO they look very similar so the only advantage of leather would be the tactile and smell. The only time I touch the dash is when I clean it, so really, for me, hardly any difference b/w the two.

3) Sky lounge - this is only apparent at night, granted it looks very cool at night, however I do most of my driving during the day, so this feature is pretty much lost on me and my family.
Appreciate 1
Jwong10.00
      05-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #88
Jwong
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Smile

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I agree with your perspective on "impact" from a driver's/passenger perspective.

I have two young children and so the logic of Sky Lounge is for them. However in other threads, I read how the novelty wears off rather quick as it's only visible at night, which limits when the feature can be used.

Regarding the Leather dash, my concern is that I cheaped out and got Vernasca leather vs. Merino (young children + nice leather = disaster). So wasn't sure whether the Leather combos would look odd as it's different textures.

Regarding Glass Controls, I think they look stellar. Coming from a 5 Series and ceramic controls, I hated the stock iDrive controller...especially the surface. It felt uber cheap and plastic. Since I'm driving 90% and touching those controls most of the time, I figured I'd splurge on something I want. But feel guilty that I may be taking away Sky Lounge from the kiddies for my guilty pleasure.

First world problems I know. I guess I'm just messed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
I agree with X5 45e. I have all 3 opitions and I would list them in this order, most "impactful" first

1) Glass controls - I love them - they make the cabin look next level. Everyone who rides in my car comments on them.

2) Leather Dash - Post MY2019, the sensatec dash is standard, which has the appearance of leather. IMO they look very similar so the only advantage of leather would be the tactile and smell. The only time I touch the dash is when I clean it, so really, for me, hardly any difference b/w the two.

3) Sky lounge - this is only apparent at night, granted it looks very cool at night, however I do most of my driving during the day, so this feature is pretty much lost on me and my family.
Appreciate 0