BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #1
hashtaghaash
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Problem: Acoustic Pedestrian Protection Failed on 2023 X5 45e

Hello,

I was driving home from the gym just now and was testing to see if it had lane change assist (I have DAP but don’t remember all the features), and when I set the turn signal car didn’t change Lanes and all of a sudden got warning on my screen saying acoustic pedestrian protection failed. I also got a notification from MyBMW app (attached) telling me I need to take it in to service. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I got the car 3 weeks ago put 700 miles on it so far. Any insight is appreciated thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 06:56 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
first time I’ve seen someone report this issue since I’ve been on this forum (2 years). I’d take it in just as notified.

in the meantime, can perform an iDrive reboot
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #3
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

"Acoustic pedestrian protection"? Does that shield you from hearing the guy in the crosswalk curse at you?
Appreciate 3
      12-08-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
hashtaghaash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
first time I’ve seen someone report this issue since I’ve been on this forum (2 years). I’d take it in just as notified.

in the meantime, can perform an iDrive reboot
Thank you for that suggestion. Did the reboot. It still shows to set up service appointment which I did so I’ll update here tomorrow afterwards hopefully nothing serious. It’s a weird problem to come up I couldn’t find much on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #5
hashtaghaash
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by streborx View Post
"Acoustic pedestrian protection"? Does that shield you from hearing the guy in the crosswalk curse at you?
LOL it has to do with the DAP features seems like. Guessing all of the DAP features aren’t working anymore. Taking in to service tomorrow to see what’s up.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #6
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I think it’s the speaker that makes noise when in electric mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 08:22 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Starting a few years ago, in the USA (and longer ago elsewhere) there has been a requirement for EV/PHEV vehicles to have a pedestrian safety alert sound to help prevent them from not hearing an EV or PHEV approaching. It turns off at about 18-mph, as tire noise is then generally loud enough for someone paying attention to realize a vehicle is approaching.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 02:30 AM   #8
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
Starting a few years ago, in the USA (and longer ago elsewhere) there has been a requirement for EV/PHEV vehicles to have a pedestrian safety alert sound to help prevent them from not hearing an EV or PHEV approaching. It turns off at about 18-mph, as tire noise is then generally loud enough for someone paying attention to realize a vehicle is approaching.
Yet another collateral consequence of beneficial high tech. Several years ago, the town in which I lived changed out all traffic lights to LED as a measure to reduce maintenance and electric power costs. Worked well until the first snow storm when it was discovered the lights didn't generate enough heat to self defrost. Lights had to be retrofitted with heaters.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #9
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Yet another collateral consequence of beneficial high tech. Several years ago, the town in which I lived changed out all traffic lights to LED as a measure to reduce maintenance and electric power costs. Worked well until the first snow storm when it was discovered the lights didn't generate enough heat to self defrost. Lights had to be retrofitted with heaters.
Good point. We should go back to horse and buggy...nobody would ever worry about the price of gas!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
ugh, that lack of forethought was a costly mistake, i'm sure!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 08:46 AM   #11
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
ugh, that lack of forethought was a costly mistake, i'm sure!
FWIW, windmills used all around the world in colder climates work well throughout the winter when it is super cold out. Texas chose not to install heaters on either their windmills OR the gas inlets to the gas-fired power plants, and the windmills froze up going offline, and the (slight) moisture in the gas inlets to their power plants did as well, shutting them down. The governor blamed the failures on the unreliable windmills. As far as I can tell, they've not retrofitted any cold weather remediation equipment to their power plants, or windmills, so an extended cold snap could precipitate the same power crisis...hopefully, I'm wrong.

It gets below zero where I live, and our windmills work, as do those in Germany, and Scandinavia and many other places that have a head on their shoulders and aren't run by the Texas Railroad Commission. The heaters were recommended ages ago, but they ignored the warnings to save some money for their partisan power companies.

Pedestrian warning systems have been in use now for about 8-years outside of the USA...I think it was about 2-years ago when it became mandatory, so the vehicle tech is not particularly new...I think, like anything else, the infant mortality issues happen on occasion, which is why we have a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 09:17 AM   #12
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e; 20 Cayenne S; 17 Q7

I hope OP issue will go away. I had a warning over the weekend, saying 'Chassis Warning: Continue Driving Possible'.

It's silly, the car is showing the warning, and doesn't let you get to the details easily at least to me as I was on the move already.

Got home, looked at myBMW apps, it said Headlight Vertical module malfunction, please schedule a service. I was thinking 'Stupid BMW'.

I shutdown the car, locked it. Waited 30 minutes. Unlocked the car, start the car. The error went away and hasn't come back since.

Hopefully, it's just glitch with the weather...
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2022, 11:29 PM   #13
hashtaghaash
Rep

Update: took it in to service and they told me all systems and sensors look good. It was apparently just a fluke but I’ll watch to see if it happens again hopefully not.
Appreciate 0