GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

06-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #1
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

active audio vs passive audio

Hello. I do not have a f8x and having only just stepped from my 335i into a '12 m3 I am a little way off getting the newer model. I tend to keep my cars 5 years +.

Reading around however I have a question. Active audio is injected by the idrive controller correct? Does anyone know if it is active in so far as listens to itself and calibrates based on number of occupants and other contents of the interior? Or is it active only based on engine parameters and it's otherwise a passive system?

What about if someone wants to upgrade the audio in some way with speakers, or with HUD? will it auto calibrate or will that audio fan suddenly find themselves with active sound that no longer matches the car and is too directional breaking the illusion?

I realise that this is very early days but I am genuinely interested in how BMW manages a consistent user audio experience in light of varying conditions.

So perhaps someone with more experience can come in here. I would imagine if you have experience with the noise cancellation - rather than enhancement technologies - as used on some of the exec rather than sport marques those would be similarly affected.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hi Chris, not sure what HUD has to do with audio, but I think I read the active audio has it's own speakers. Thus upgrading the audio speakers has no effect. There's an excellent interview with BMW on the subject somewhere.
      06-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
minus9
Grand Poobah
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am still debating whether to add the HK sound. If a speaker upgrade to the base system is easy enough, maybe I'll go that route instead.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
crypticc
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT + Comp

I meant what if someone subsequent to OE switches the head unit. My Swype auto replaced to HUD. Sorry.

I'll hunt down this review and if I find it post here
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I wondered if the engine will sound better with HK ? More bass?
Appreciate 0