M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

07-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Ferrari Califonia T (2014) CAR video review

One of the first reviews I've seen. Looks like this guy is about to crash the California like 4 times in the video! LOL!

It strangely sounds a lot like our S63tu engine in my opinion.

I need a better exhaust sound sample, but based on what I can hear in the video I'm going to go ahead and pronounce that the Twin Turbo V6 sound I've heard on the Maserati Ghibli in real life sounds better than the new California.

I hope that he is right though in his last statement, that basically Ferrari better not mess up the sound of the Turbo Engine in the next 458.

LOL at his comment at 3:21 too!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Thanks for posting
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #3
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
LOL at his comment at 3:21 too!
LOL... I recall the guy in M3 forum said "sounds like Ferrari" lol

Or maybe the minute 2:27 of this lol

Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
LOL... I recall the guy in M3 forum said "sounds like Ferrari" lol

Or maybe the minute 2:27 of this lol

Maybe with the proper software the M3 can match the Aventador?

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Dionysus
Captain
Rep
Drives: TBC

Quote:
It strangely sounds a lot like our S63tu engine in my opinion.
Check out the sound in this video of a sedately driven Cali T...

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Watching these two videos, looks like Ferrari California in Blue sounds like M3; however in Red sounds like M4
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Maybe with the proper software the M3 can match the Aventador?
With the special Tropicana Juice Box it just may ....
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
NullCheck
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It does sound like S63tu. Which is really boring. Very Bassy. Very throaty. And very lazy, not aggressive. It means business, but it's not as exciting or thrilling as the M3. I never really liked how the V8 in the M5 sounded, so maybe I'm biased, but this is what I think
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullCheck View Post
It does sound like S63tu. Which is really boring. Very Bassy. Very throaty. And very lazy, not aggressive. It means business, but it's not as exciting or thrilling as the M3. I never really liked how the V8 in the M5 sounded, so maybe I'm biased, but this is what I think
hey "null" why your footprint is all over the place in bimmerpost?? I mean everywhere and everytime you get appeared??? and what's the reason of this much "bigotry" ? Dude here is not M3/M4 forum and people have a friendly relation and we tease each other!!! you should go back to your forum with your silly friends... BTW what happened to soft close option? I heard M3/M4 does not have this option, not butt massage either... is the steering adjustment manual?? I heard that too.... do you still turn up the stereo to avoid hearing wind noise??? I heard your door strip is damaged. correct? what happened to that guy raced an M6 and his DCT broke down while had just few hundred miles on it? what about hood?? I heard somebody discovered there is hoods alignment issue ... and I don't want to talk about that silly "turbo hose"... but you know what?? it doesn't matter. please please please don't worry and don't let these things disappoint you.. M3/M4 is not supposed to be M5/M6 AT ALL... it's 70K sport car... no needs to luxury options... and instead it has better gas mileage which is a big advantage .. and yesss it has good braking system... better than M5??? you tell me since you had M5 CP and now you have M3
as you said in other thread the other day -->> enjoy your M3 and I enjoy my M6
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

Quote:
It does sound like S63tu. Which is really boring. Very Bassy. Very throaty. And very lazy, not aggressive. It means business, but it's not as exciting or thrilling as the M3.
Please tell me you are a F80 product manager. Only way this makes sense at all....
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
hey "null" why your footprint is all over the place in bimmerpost?? I mean everywhere and everytime you get appeared??? and what's the reason of this much "bigotry" ? Dude here is not M3/M4 forum and people have a friendly relation and we tease each other!!! you should go back to your forum with your silly friends... BTW what happened to soft close option? I heard M3/M4 does not have this option, not butt massage either... is the steering adjustment manual?? I heard that too.... do you still turn up the stereo to avoid hearing wind noise??? I heard your door strip is damaged. correct? what happened to that guy raced an M6 and his DCT broke down while had just few hundred miles on it? what about hood?? I heard somebody discovered there is hoods alignment issue ... and I don't want to talk about that silly "turbo hose"... but you know what?? it doesn't matter. please please please don't worry and don't let these things disappoint you.. M3/M4 is not supposed to be M5/M6 AT ALL... it's 70K sport car... no needs to luxury options... and instead it has better gas mileage which is a big advantage .. and yesss it has good braking system... better than M5??? you tell me since you had M5 CP and now you have M3
I love NullCheck. Without people like him the forum would just be boring.

Now back to business, I'll just say this since I've driven both the M5 and M3. If were just talking about 100% stock cars, I'll take the real exterior sound of the M5 and the artificially enhanced interior sound of the M3.

The exterior sound of the M5 is fantastic, you just can't hear it all that much from the inside. While the interior sound on the M3 is fantastic because they did a better job enhancing the sound from the engine, where as in the M5 it's just pre-recorded.

Now aftermarket, the M5 wins hands down on all accounts.

The stock Maserati Ghibli exhaust note on the other hand trumps both the M5 and M3.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
NullCheck
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
It was you who out of nowhere made this comment

"LOL... I recall the guy in M3 forum said "sounds like Ferrari" lol "

If the thread is about M5s and Ferraris, then why do you need to say that about the M3?

And I am so happy that I don't have those fat sofa looking seats under my ass anymore. I am just being frank with you. I never liked soft closing doors because I always managed to shut them properly with the right amount of force. One thing I do miss is ventilated seats. Now that was a cool and useful feature and I loved that. The other thing I miss is the large LCD screen, yes the M3's screen looks too tiny. Oh and the trunk that closes by itself.

But you see, the problem is, these features so to speak are like a new model of the iPhone. A new one comes every year and you change. They don't make you feel attached or in other words feel passionate about a car. A car to me is 99% communication. 1% is everything you said. M5 to me was not a car that communicated, at least not in my language.

I was not going to respond in the first place, but you guys just look so funny all of you in one forum attacking the little kid brother every chance you get. Not fair now is it? People in the M3 forum don't do that though, that's the difference! It's the M5 crowd that constantly comes there and compares every little thing and starts a fight. How about we stop attacking one another and get along well?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
Mbdurham17
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell_1
Quote:
It does sound like S63tu. Which is really boring. Very Bassy. Very throaty. And very lazy, not aggressive. It means business, but it's not as exciting or thrilling as the M3.
Please tell me you are a F80 product manager. Only way this makes sense at all....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #15
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It was you who out of nowhere made this comment

Quote:
"LOL... I recall the guy in M3 forum said "sounds like Ferrari" lol "
you got it

Quote:
If the thread is about M5s and Ferraris, then why do you need to say that about the M3?
I was talking to @RPiM5 and not you

Quote:
And I am so happy that I don't have those fat sofa looking seats under my ass anymore.
this one was so funny!

Quote:
I am just being frank with you. I never liked soft closing doors because I always managed to shut them properly with the right amount of force.
really? so your M5 CP didn't have executive package?

Quote:
One thing I do miss is ventilated seats. Now that was a cool and useful feature and I loved that. The other thing I miss is the large LCD screen, yes the M3's screen looks too tiny. Oh and the trunk that closes by itself.
here you go! it's not luxury car so your expectation is too much

Quote:
But you see, the problem is, these features so to speak are like a new model of the iPhone. A new one comes every year and you change. They don't make you feel attached or in other words feel passionate about a car. A car to me is 99% communication. 1% is everything you said. M5 to me was not a car that communicated, at least not in my language.

Quote:
I was not going to respond in the first place, but you guys just look so funny all of you in one forum attacking the little kid brother every chance you get. Not fair now is it? People in the M3 forum don't do that though, that's the difference! It's the M5 crowd that constantly comes there and compares every little thing and starts a fight. How about we stop attacking one another and get along well?
lol read your thread again. you compared F80 M3/E92 M3/F10 M5 at the first place... so yes you started this fight

Quote:
How about we stop attacking one another and get along well?
I think we finally found something to be agreed
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #16
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
It seems like I am seeing the RealStig all over the place. I don't know if you guys remember him.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 08:55 AM   #17
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
... but you guys just look so funny all of you in one forum attacking the little kid brother every chance you get. Not fair now is it? People in the M3 forum don't do that though, that's the difference! It's the M5 crowd that constantly comes there and compares every little thing and starts a fight. How about we stop attacking one another and get along well?
To be fair, there are bigots from both sides of the camp. I basically can't stand it when either side puts the other down. Stuffs like "downgrading", "fat boat", etc just shows bigotry. Both are amazing cars and I love them both to bits. They are complimentary rather than mutually exclusive. I have had the good fortune of owning both until a while back and I loved every minute of it. I hope to add the new M4 to the family some time next year if not the M2. People just need to stop loading cars with their egos. They are such fine machines and should be respected and enjoyed!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #18
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

As I have remarked before, the Cali T sounded very similiar to the M4 that i heard. Both were static revs though with the Cali having the edge. Ferrari really ought to have something up their sleeves if the next 458 is going turbo. They are gonna loose big if it sounded anything like the Cali T.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i will say this. Lamborghini and Ferrari make cars that are based off emotion and performance. If they cannot make a turbo engine be just as emotionally as a high revving N/A engine. They i have zero hope for turbo engines any time soon.

I will add, if they cant do it. Then we are seeing a massive overnight classic cars being created.

because if good sounding and emotional engines are a thing of the past. Then it only makes sense there will be a demand for them." the greats"
Appreciate 0