Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

09-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
OddJobs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 E82 Mineral Grey M4

Switched power inside the passenger compartment

Searching out ideas/options for switched power inside the passenger compartment for the F82 M4 to run a radar detector, laser jammer and maybe dash cam.

The fuse box is now under the hood, which makes using the favourite method of an "add a fuse" difficult. (Actually the fuse box access in general is difficult with the alum bracing.) I think one could route into the cab from the fuse box if you could get access to the underside of the fuse board. Which I could not. It wiggles like you could remove it, but I couldn't get it out. Not sure if it can even come out.

V1 has a cute "Savvy" device that uses the OBD port.

Not sure if there is a switched source from the truck.

I have figured out how to get to the 12V power plug at the front of the centre console but it doesn't seem "switched" in the usual sense. Seems to stay on for a bit after I leave the car, and switches on soon as the door is open.

Right now I have a "mirror tap" supplying the radar detector which is mounted high. For the jammer I would want power buy the glove box/console. I guess I could run a line allllll the way down from mirror via the A pillar, but would have to see if the load of the detector and jammer would be to much.

Advice? Ideas?

Tx

Odd Jobs
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
i used the 12v outlet underneath the passenger side dashboard in my F30 to wire up my V1. The F8x has one in the same spot. Just drop the panel and then you can splice into the wires.
It will stay on for a moment after you get out of the car and will turn on when you unlock the car but that didnt bother me.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
My installer ran a separate fused switched wire from the fuse box in the boot. He said that's the best way as it completely avoids any can bus problems.

BTW, my Valentine 1 is on it, and despite deactivating the rear K band sensor, I'm still detecting rear K band as I drive.
      10-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i killed my kband and well on both the front and the back and dont get any warnings for K at all.. I think there was 2 areas on the V1 programming i changed.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
OddJobs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMB_M3_j2 View Post
i used the 12v outlet underneath the passenger side dashboard in my F30 to wire up my V1. The F8x has one in the same spot. Just drop the panel and then you can splice into the wires.
It will stay on for a moment after you get out of the car and will turn on when you unlock the car but that didnt bother me.
You want to hear something strange???? Canadian spec M4 do not have that extra outlet under the glovebox.

Im gonna work on it this weekend.

Odd
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJobs View Post
You want to hear something strange???? Canadian spec M4 do not have that extra outlet under the glovebox.

Im gonna work on it this weekend.

Odd
weird..sometimes i dont understand the differences between cars in different markets. there is no way the Canadian Government gives a shit if there is a power outlet there.. why BMW chose to remove it is beyond me.. You can always buy the V1 Savy...its applicable on any car.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
OddJobs
Enlisted Member
Rep

In the end I piggy backed onto the truck 12v power outlet with an "add-a-fuse" via the trunk fuse box.

Ran a lenght of wire under the rear seat, and door sill to the kick panel then finally the consol.

I didn't want to splice into the front consol 12V power supply because the car is a lease. There is a connector there, and if I could source the connectors, I could have made a short jump cable to splice into....but in the end I went trunk.

Maybe I will post some pics of the install.

Odd
Appreciate 0