European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

11-02-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Suspension Check

Morning fellas,

Need some help diagnosing my perceived problem. I took delivery of my F80 M3 last night (passive suspension, not active), driving it around for 100 kms the suspension seems ridiculous. It rebounds and clunks just as hard as my old 06 sti. Since the dealer is closed today, I jacked up the car to see if there is any suspension blocks left over during the transportation phase. The back end seems to be fine, as there is maybe a 1.5 finger gap between the wheel well and the 19" tire. The front has a 4 finger gap from the fender to the tire.

Upon inspection, there is a black top hat sitting at the bottom of the shock (where the shock meets the coil arm near the caliper), its on there pretty good I wasnt able to move it by hand, I'm wondering if this piece is on all your cars?

My e92 with passive suspension didnt ride this hard by any means, I would find it hard to believe they would have firmed up the ride by nearly 50%.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Morning fellas,

Need some help diagnosing my perceived problem. I took delivery of my F80 M3 last night (passive suspension, not active), driving it around for 100 kms the suspension seems ridiculous. It rebounds and clunks just as hard as my old 06 sti. Since the dealer is closed today, I jacked up the car to see if there is any suspension blocks left over during the transportation phase. The back end seems to be fine, as there is maybe a 1.5 finger gap between the wheel well and the 19" tire. The front has a 4 finger gap from the fender to the tire.

Upon inspection, there is a black top hat sitting at the bottom of the shock (where the shock meets the coil arm near the caliper), its on there pretty good I wasnt able to move it by hand, I'm wondering if this piece is on all your cars?

My e92 with passive suspension didnt ride this hard by any means, I would find it hard to believe they would have firmed up the ride by nearly 50%.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Have you checked your tyre pressures? While in transit sometimes tyres are over inflated to stop flat spots and perhaps yours haven't been reduced prior to delivery. My tyres were massively over inflated when I took delivery which resulted in a harsh ride.
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

good idea, I'll check this as well!

edit: All tire pressure at 31 psi.

Last edited by Kartelli; 11-02-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I have an F80 with passive suspension that replaced an E90 M3 with passive suspension. The F80 is significantly firmer and rebounds harder/faster. It results in a few more clunks but nothing alarming in my car. I love the firmness level, just about perfect for my taste.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #5
LibinLu
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 / 435i Gran Coupe

Please check if they forgot to take those white plastic rings off during PDI... Otherwise check tire pressures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Here is the "top hat" item i'm describing in the original post.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

going to investigate further, I was looking at the wrong side of the shock Will report back shortly,
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I think I found the culprits. On the front and back, there are these cream donut looking things at the top of the shocks. I believe these are preventing the shock from rebounding properly. Could someone confirm on their car if these are intact, or are they removed from your car?

Only way to take them off is to cut them off...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
I think I found the culprits. On the front and back, there are these cream donut looking things at the top of the shocks. I believe these are preventing the shock from rebounding properly. Could someone confirm on their car if these are intact, or are they removed from your car?

Only way to take them off is to cut them off...
Dude, those are bump stops. They work with shocks and springs to keep your suspension working properly. Do NOT cut them off. Take it to the dealer and stop trying to diagnose the problem your self.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
Dude, those are bump stops. They work with shocks and springs to keep your suspension working properly. Do NOT cut them off. Take it to the dealer and stop trying to diagnose the problem your self.
+1

OP, take the car in to the dealer. I wouldn't cut anything off the car

I find the F8X to be slightly firmer than the E9X. By no means is it significantly harsher but it is firm. It's the price we pay for better handling
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I was abit haste in my judgement, yeah I realized they were bump stops after taking a moment to think. Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated.
Being new with the car gave me some jitters. I haven't driven a car with pilot sport tires in ages, they definitely stiff and transfer more road feedback into the car.

Going to give it a few months let everything settle/break in then make judgement. Worst case scenario swap over to a coil over suspension focused on comfort rather than performance.

The car is amazing, coming from other turbo cars, the exhaust note is perfect.

Last edited by Kartelli; 11-02-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #12
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
I was abit haste in my judgement, yeah I realized they were bump stops after taking a moment to think. Thanks for the help fellas. Much appreciated.
Being new with the car gave me some jitters. I haven't driven a car with pilot sport tires in ages, they definitely stiff and transfer more road feedback into the car.

Going to give it a few months let everything settle/break in then make judgement. Worst case scenario swap over to a coil over suspension focused on comfort rather than performance.

The car is amazing, coming from other turbo cars, the exhaust note is perfect.
Seems like a 320 is a little more what you need.
Appreciate 0