EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

11-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Houston BMW Ultimate Driving event

Anyone going? Its November 9-17th at NRG park.

Spots are all booked, but I called my salesman to get details. He said its basically an autocross course with 2 & 5 series. He told me to not get my hopes up, but it sounds like something I would still like to do.

EDIT: Got the details. It actually seems fun. You get a 2 hour class in either a 2 or 5 series with a trained BMW instructor from SC. Lots of spots still open on http://ude.bmwusa.com/

Last edited by Damasconian; 11-05-2014 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: More Data
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
UH_TX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///AMG C63

I am going on sunday the 9th. I am doing the autocross with a 2 series. I originally signed up to get a 1000 incentive, but just found out it wont work with current production car.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Swancoat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'm booked (or I think I am - I just filled out the web form they sent me - haven't spoken to my dealer). Anyway, I was hoping I'd be able to test drive an M3 there. Autocross with 2 and 5? not really in the market for either of those cars, so I'm getting a lot less interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 MG

I'm doing the free auto-x Sunday 11/9 at 2:30pm... also doing the all day "car control clinic" Tuesday 11/11.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7andy View Post
I'm doing the free auto-x Sunday 11/9 at 2:30pm... also doing the all day "car control clinic" Tuesday 11/11.
I would have really liked to have known about the car control clinic before signing up for one in Greenville on December 31st. Wife's not that pleased Ill be out for new years.

Have fun. Send a report if you can.
      11-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep

$1000 off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UH_TX View Post
I am going on sunday the 9th. I am doing the autocross with a 2 series. I originally signed up to get a 1000 incentive, but just found out it wont work with current production car.
the bmwusa.com site is showing a $1000 holiday credit for M3... may be we can ask our sales guy to see if it can be applied to cars already ordered but not delivered...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
pdramarocks
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 (SO/SO)

Auto x on Sunday 11/16 @ 830 for me
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Rx7andy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
I would have really liked to have known about the car control clinic before signing up for one in Greenville on December 31st. Wife's not that pleased Ill be out for new years.

Have fun. Send a report if you can.
Car Control Clinic Report

Max 16 people split into 2 groups and proceeded with the activities listed below in parallel (e.g. while team 1 doing slalom, team 2 is doing full braking, then we'd switch). Our group had 7 people.
13 or 14 instructors plus a bunch of cone and course workers. All driving done with instructor sitting next to you.
BMW provided 4 M3s, 5 M235s, and a couple of 328s

09:00am registration
09:30am watch Harmon Karon promotional video, classroom instructions
10:00am - 12:30pm
slalom in M235,
full throttle and full braking in M3,
quick/emergency lane change in M235,
full ABS braking + turning to a stop in M3
12:30pm - 01:30pm box lunch - decent food
01:30pm - 05:00pm
auto cross in the M235,
skid pad/figure 8 in a 328 with special slippery rear tires,
auto cross in a M3 (each person went may be 6 laps, I got lucky being the single person in a car and did may be 12! 3 sessions of 4 haha!),
lane changing exercise in the M235,
team 1 vs. team 2 autocross time trial competition in M3s. The first team will have each member drive one timed lap and switch driver with a hand tag... use total time so had to switch drivers quickly.

Impressions:

1. Most instructors are very professional and helpful. Constantly giving tips/teaching.
2. Really got a chance to throw around the M235 (very precise and fun car) and plenty of seat time in the M3 (a beast and really I thought a bit too powerful for the auto cross course).
2. Learned some good tips such as looking far down the course and the direction you will be heading, rather than looking at your fender.

Andrew
MG F80 (my ship arrived port today!)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's a great report. I had to cancel at the last hour yesterday and called BMW to open up my spot. Didn't regret it until I read what they offered in your summary. Glad you got to so much seat time too, I was worried it would be more commercials than classes.

And congrats on the ship arrival. My ship arrived Sunday and has cleared customs. Should be done with BMW inspection Thursday, on a truck this weekend. Finally back with about a week from now I hope.

See you around.
      11-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

So I got to attend the UDE and one of the Autocross sessions on Monday. I have to say it was fantastic as usual.

I had originally gotten an invitation to the UDE from BMW Woodlands. When I signed up, I saw the car control clinics as well as the free autocross. As much as the car control clinics would have been fun, I don't really have a full day to devote to it. Not to mention that it is $600 and while that is something of a deal, I'd rather spend a few grand on a 2 day M school. So when I signed up, they had the 5 series and 2 series open for autocross. Having owned an F10 535, I know that it's not really the autocross type of car. 2 series is much more appropriate.

The autocross session was noted to start a 3:30 and the "VIP" event as they kept calling it was scheduled to start at 6:30. So knowing they'd have cars to look around, I showed up a little early at 3:15. It was in the Yellow parking lot at NRG Park, over by what I guess is the practice bubble? Turns out I was outsmarting myself. They wanted you to arrive at 3:30 but it really didn't start until 4:00. No bother, there was a parking lot full of cars to take out on a street drive.

The mix of cars was ok. There was a 3 series, a 528, an X5, an i3, but there were also two 6 series. One of which was a Sakhir Orange / Merino White convertible. Monday was still beautiful, in the 70's, and perfect ragtop weather. The person signing out cars told me their'd be better ones later. She was right...

In any event, I went off for a loop around the stadium in the very nice 650i MSport. Up Main, right on Old Spanish Trail, Right on Fannin, right on Buffalo Speedway and another right on Main. Just enough to wind it up a little. No traffic per se yet, so I had it roaring pretty good. I've driven a 650i ragtop before and it's a nice big old barge, a little cowl shake but not awful, and a very nice place to be. Back seats are a joke, though.

So when I got back, I was more or less in time for the Auto-x to start. There was the usual chalk talk session, which I could give by now I have been to so many of these. And then we went out to the track. Since it was kind of an odd time, our session was pretty light. There were 3 instructors to only 5 students! I got placed by myself since I was solo, with Leslie Studdard, a Rally driver from Delaware. She was pretty cool and a good instructor. I started off slow and built speed up since I had "double time" as a solo driver. Eventually I got into something of a rhythm although my feet kept getting caught on the pedals (I wore the wrong shoes, and my feet are a size 13) and I'd hit the throttle and brake at the same time and push wide. Her instructions kept me calm, and kept me moving.

Soon it was time to do the real flying lap. They stuck a camera on the dash to record us (iPhone with two cameras) and emailed us a video of the lap. It was kind of silly, but cool. We got a warmup lap and this time I was with a different instructor. He wanted me to be a little more rough, while Leslie was emphasizing smoothness, so on my warmup lap I was kind of confused. But the second lap I shaved a full 2 seconds off and managed to win the group. Given the people in the group, I wasn't surprised, but everyone seemed to have fun.

So it was about 5:40 by the time we were done. I got myself registered for the "VIP" event and they told me they were bringing in the nicer cars for the street drive. They said that would start at 6. So I sat around for a little while and caught up on work emails while they rolled in the nicer cars for the street drive. And nicer they were! There was a Austin Yellow M3, an M6 ragtop an M6 GC, a 750i, an Alpina B7, an X5 50i, the same 650 ragtop I had driven before, a frozen silver 650 coupe and one or two others. So of course, the M3 caught my attention and I asked the lady when we could start driving and she told me 6. So I sit back down, in full view of the area, and go back to my emails. Next thing you know I look up and she's showing a dude and his wife to the M3. I was like, WTF, I already asked you about that car and you put someone else in first? SO I went over and politely reminded her I was still there. She apologzied, and said she would put me on next for the M3, but would I like to drive the M6 droptop while I waited? Well, that's a pretty nice consolation prize....

I've driven an M5 before but not an M6. This car felt a little different, but not much. The car had 8k miles and the tires must have been shot. The M5's I've driven before have had SOME traction issues, but this car was all over the place. I couldn't even pull away normally from a stop without the traction light flashing away. And never mind getting on it...wait until 3rd gear. That, combined with the 6PM traffic had me spending more time checking out the HUD and the latest version of iDrive than driving, but I still managed to get on it hard. And man, that car is still fast as hell.

So I pulled in the lot right behind the M3. The lady knew I had been waiting and so I just walked right over. They didn't set the nav for the route since they knew I had just been on it. Traffic was still kind of heavy but....

Holy crap, I love the M3. It's just such a well put together machine. I don't have much time in the E90, but from what I remember, this car seems much more planted and tied down. And even though it's down on HP compared to the F10/F11, It seems just as fast because it can actual use the power. With the DCT set to 3, I was able to chirp the tires into third with only part throttle. Make no doubt, the car is quick.

But it also is just better all around. The car I was in was pretty well loaded with Exec and full leather, and the full safety gear. Personally, I'm not sure I'm sold on the HUD. It's nice, but I had never used it at night and in the dark it seems more distracting than not. But that's not really that pertinent. To me, the car feels very, very well put together. It feels almost Porsche like in it's solidarity and it's purposefulness. It really feels like a 4 door sports car, to beat that cliche to death.

I have only previously driven an F8X once, and that was a not so spirited drive in a fellow forum member's car. I took it easy since he had so few miles at the time, but even then I could tell it was a beast. This car had a few thousand miles on it and it was BMW's so I didn't mind thrashing on it. The car egged me on every time! Of course, if you know Houston and the arena area, you know the roads (both traffic and physical condition) are not conducive to speed or any test of handling. But it was fun as hell.

When I got back, I ended up doing a hot lap (two) with the M3 driven by an instructor. That was pretty damn fun, but then they let us do two hot laps in it as well! The differences between it and the two series were crazy! Besides the power, which you can't use, the grip is just outstanding.

So after that, I made it my mission to drive as many as the street drive cars as was practical. I ended up driving the X5 50i (fast, aloof, seats suck) and the Alpina B7 (where's the power, super laggy, needed the active suspension, hate the thin steering wheel). Went inside and had a few snacks and decided that I really didn't want to sick around until 9:00 watching the "celebrity chef" demonstration when I had already been there over 5 hours.

All in all, awesome day and I loved it! I have a few crummy pics that I can post up later, but nothing good.

Now, when can I order that M3?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

What an awesome report. If I was regretting skipping out before, you've ruined me now. I am very impressed with the wide selection of vehicles and the various things you could do with them. Hopefully they bring this back next year.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that my M4 is headed to Houston this weekend and I should be able to pick it up Monday.

As I've told you before I grew up in the Woodlands and am up there a lot. If you have yet to drive a 6-MT, you're welcome to try it. Thanks again for all the details.
      11-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
I'm signed up for the drive event on Saturday and the Auto-X on Sunday. The only problem is that there's the Christmas market thing at Reliant this weekend which usually causes a ton of traffic in the area. If it turns out to be too much, I'll turn back around.

Hopefully I can get back into an M3 to help me during this long waiting period. @Damasconian, next week will make it 6-7 weeks after ED dropoff?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor///M View Post
I'm signed up for the drive event on Saturday and the Auto-X on Sunday. The only problem is that there's the Christmas market thing at Reliant this weekend which usually causes a ton of traffic in the area. If it turns out to be too much, I'll turn back around.

Hopefully I can get back into an M3 to help me during this long waiting period. @Damasconian, next week will make it 6-7 weeks after ED dropoff?
If I get the car on Monday as planned the general timeline is:

-Dropped the car off in Paris September 30th
-Showed up on the tracking website October 10th
-Loaded onto a vessel October 23rd
-Arrived in Brunswick November 10th
-At my dealer November 17th

That makes it exactly 1 day shy of 7 weeks. More than acceptable considering my out of Germany drop-off point. Has been a great process from start to finish, just hoping there are no issues in the last day or two. You have your car in yet?
      11-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
If I get the car on Monday as planned the general timeline is:

-Dropped the car off in Paris September 30th
-Showed up on the tracking website October 10th
-Loaded onto a vessel October 23rd
-Arrived in Brunswick November 10th
-At my dealer November 17th

That makes it exactly 1 day shy of 7 weeks. More than acceptable considering my out of Germany drop-off point. Has been a great process from start to finish, just hoping there are no issues in the last day or two. You have your car in yet?
Nope, only dropped mine off last Saturday in Munich and I'm doing PCD. Looks like that will put my delivery in late Dec/ early Jan if all goes well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian
What an awesome report. If I was regretting skipping out before, you've ruined me now. I am very impressed with the wide selection of vehicles and the various things you could do with them. Hopefully they bring this back next year.

The only thing that makes me feel better is that my M4 is headed to Houston this weekend and I should be able to pick it up Monday.

As I've told you before I grew up in the Woodlands and am up there a lot. If you have yet to drive a 6-MT, you're welcome to try it. Thanks again for all the details.
Definitely, always happy to meet a forum member, and the drive is a bonus! Let me know when you are here!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #16
RyanD
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7andy View Post
I was there on Tuesday too! Team 2
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 06:25 AM   #17
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
I went to the Friday night session.....did the laps with the driver in an M3 -- wow that was fun....then got to drive the M6, B7, and 760.....as said above, the B7 was a huge disappointment...you pressed the accelerator pedal and nothing happened for a second or two and then it took off....huge lag....

Iron Chef Morimoto gave a good cooking demo afterwards. He made some killer sushi dishes.

This was one of the better driving events I have been to....the best selection of cars by far.....usually they have base models, this time they had the hi-po versions !

I went to the Lexus RC-F event the next day to drive the RC-F and M4 (along with base RC, C350, 435, A5). I came out of that event really liking the way the RC-F drives, but still don't like the way it looks. It was fun to hear the M4 and RC-F on the track at the same time - nothing sounds like a V8
Appreciate 0