E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times for Dinan yet?

01-09-2008, 07:17 PM   #1
samsamwu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times for Dinan yet?

I've been searching but haven't found any times for the dinan reflash
please post here if you've done it
please list all pertinent info as well
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamwu View Post
I've been searching but haven't found any times for the dinan reflash
please post here if you've done it
please list all pertinent info as well

I think you will be hard pressed for someone to post 1/4 mile times b/c of warranty issues.
      01-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
I think you will be hard pressed for someone to post 1/4 mile times b/c of warranty issues.

man that kinda takes some of the fun out of owning the car........

people run their cars stock at the track....whats the difference?
      01-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
It isnt like they have to post their VIN number along with it...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Why does is say in the Dinan warranty that "using the ultimate driving machine and the high performance Dinan upgrade in one of the ways this car was intended to be driven will void your warranty"?

To the OP.

Look at the times for the PROcede v1.47, the Dinan tune makes VERY similiar power and therefore will produce VERY similiar acceleration results.

Ie: everything else on the car being stock

12.8-13.2 @ 107-110 mph (depending on conditions, elevation, etc)

0-60 is a pretty antiquated and very narrow test of acceleration....
But if stock the car does 4.8-4.9, I think you'd find with the Dinan, v1.47, JB2, Xede, etc on an otherwise stock car the times would be
4.3-4.5 seconds (I did 4.4 on the Racelogic VBox at 1425 feet in elevation, and with 3/4 tank of 91 Octane with just PROcede v1.47 everything else stock in 60 degree weather).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
tracking your car does not void your warranty. we're not talking evos here...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusion View Post
tracking your car does not void your warranty. we're not talking evos here...
Quote from Dinan "any vehicle operated in any competitive event,"

Draw your own conclusion on this. To me if you do anything that is timed against other cars Dinan can call foul.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
Quote from Dinan "any vehicle operated in any competitive event,"

Draw your own conclusion on this. To me if you do anything that is timed against other cars Dinan can call foul.
How will they know which cars have done that?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
man that kinda takes some of the fun out of owning the car........

scared to drive my car........doesn't work for me
Who says Dinan owners are scared to drive and don't have fun? Posting your numbers here on the internet does not correlate to fun (for me at least).
      01-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Rider View Post
the following quote was lifted directly from dinan's site:

Quote:
This warranty shall be null and void if the vehicle identification number has been altered or cannot be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.
so, there's no debating that point. i think what is up for debate is what the definition of competitive event is. i think it's pretty clear that if you're racing another car on a track where passing is allowed and laps are timed, you'd void your warranty. i can totally see how running an auto-cross against a clock could not be perceived as competitive. maybe someone can call them and confirm. i'd do it if they were still open. fwiw, i've participated at a track event w/ the drivers edge where there were no clocks. it was clearly not a "competitive event". what would dinan think of that? anyway, thanks for pointing that out. seems dinan is more restrictive than my local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

so, there's no debating that point. i think what is up for debate is what the definition of competitive event is. i think it's pretty clear that if you're racing another car on a track where passing is allowed and laps are timed, you'd void your warranty. i can totally see how running an auto-cross against a clock could not be perceived as competitive. maybe someone can call them and confirm. i'd do it if they were still open. fwiw, i've participated at a track event w/ the drivers edge where there were no clocks. it was clearly not a "competitive event". what would dinan think of that? anyway, thanks for pointing that out. seems dinan is more restrictive than my local dealer.

That's a BIG hit against the reason to get the Dinan flash.

Good God, you can't take your BMW even to a BMW sanctioned, sponsored, club event without losing your warranty, much less a little drag strip to go in a straight line for 12-13 seconds.

Heck, BMW themselves don't void warranties for using the "ultimate driving machine" in a way it was INTENDED to be used from time to time.

Man, how can Dinan compare doing a few full throttle runs for 12-13 seconds at a drag strip to say running these cars on the Autobahn???

Why buy a BMW then, and why pay Dinan (a BMW authorized PERFORMANCE company) their big bucks if you have to drive the car like a Camry?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #12
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleh4852 View Post
How will they know which cars have done that?
I don't know. Ask them. Have you seen how many loop holes they have in their warranty?

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #13
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

When are you Dinan flash guys going to a strip??

Can't believe we haven't seen any performance numbers!

When you guys decide to run your Trailer-Queens, post the numbers, unless of course you are ashamed.
      01-09-2008, 09:35 PM   #14
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
That's a BIG hit against the reason to get the Dinan flash.

Good God, you can't take your BMW even to a BMW sanctioned, sponsored, club event without losing your warranty, much less a little drag strip to go in a straight line for 12-13 seconds.

Heck, BMW themselves don't void warranties for using the "ultimate driving machine" in a way it was INTENDED to be used from time to time.

Man, how can Dinan compare doing a few full throttle runs for 12-13 seconds at a drag strip to say running these cars on the Autobahn???

Why buy a BMW then, and why pay Dinan (a BMW authorized PERFORMANCE company) their big bucks if you have to drive the car like a Camry?
Driver72, we get it. You don't like Dinan. You provide some good info on the board but this constant bashing gets old. This isn't good vs. evil. Live and let live brother.
      01-09-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
When are you Dinan flash guys going to a strip??

Can't believe we haven't seen any performance numbers!

When you guys decide to run your Trailer-Queens, post the numbers, unless of course you are ashamed.
You gotta wait for prom before I take out my Trailer-Queen T-bone that was some funny stuff.
      01-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #16
remydlc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 N55 MT/blue metal/red int.

Quote:

Same thing apply for BMW warranty. I read it somehwere. read your warranty book, i think is there.
      01-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Driver72, we get it. You don't like Dinan. You provide some good info on the board but this constant bashing gets old. This isn't good vs. evil. Live and let live brother.
I don't hate Dinan.
I actually think it's a great alternative for those who wanted to have a warranty.
But if that warranty means you can't use the car in any LEGAL way an enthusiast would want to and in the way this car was designed to do, without losing that warranty, the reason for going with the Dinan flash is mute.

I did not know Dinan, a company the increases the performance of a performance car company does not honor their warranty when using that extra performance (and warranty) you paid for in a legal performance venue.

True, there is no real way Dinan will know you did it anyway, but still, you should be ABLE to at, at least, sanctioned and sponsored BMW events.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 05:35 AM   #18
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
I don't hate Dinan.
I actually think it's a great alternative for those who wanted to have a warranty.
But if that warranty means you can't use the car in any LEGAL way an enthusiast would want to and in the way this car was designed to do, without losing that warranty, the reason for going with the Dinan flash is mute.

I did not know Dinan, a company the increases the performance of a performance car company does not honor their warranty when using that extra performance (and warranty) you paid for in a legal performance venue.

True, there is no real way Dinan will know you did it anyway, but still, you should be ABLE to at, at least, sanctioned and sponsored BMW events.
I agree with you, I will give them a call and see if they can provide me the "permitted activity" list in writing.
      01-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #19
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you, I will give them a call and see if they can provide me the "permitted activity" list in writing.

It's probably a "cover their asses" scenario by putting that in their.
They just don't want someone with their tune running to the road course every weekend, beating the snot out of the car and blowing the engines, making Dinan pay for it.

They probably don't care about the occasional drag strip run or even a "non competitive" (read: no timing, no prizes) track run from time to time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #20
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Good God, you can't take your BMW even to a BMW sanctioned, sponsored, club event without losing your warranty
Yes you can. A BMWCCA Driving School is a non-competitive event.

I think racing in the BMWCCA classes will void your BMW warranty too.

Even with the 95 M3 LTW, all the racing parts (wing, oil pan etc.) were in the trunk, and your warranty went out the window as soon as you installed these items.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2008, 02:56 PM   #21
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

I know the wording says "competitive event" but I would find it quite hard to believe that the mere presence of competition would be the determining factor in the decision to void the warranty. If someone goes from a stop to 110mph on an abandoned airstrip with a Gtech or similar device to get their estimated quartermile times that's not a competiton, but if someone were to essentially do the same thing at a dragstrip then it is? Or what if it's just a test & tune... technically that's not a competition, right? I mean the distinctions can be made all day long, but I seriously doubt that just the mere running of one's car down a dragstrip would void the warranty.
      01-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #22
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

I wouldn't read too much into this exclusion. The BMW warranty says exactly the same thing.
Quote:
This warranty shall be null and void if the vehicle identification number has been altered or cannot be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, if the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage purposes, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.
The Dinan warranty is simply mirroring the BMW one. In other words, there is no reason to become more warranty dragstrip gun-shy because of Dinan than you were/weren't already. Indeed, drag racing with the alternative (a warranty imperiling piggyback system) would be a double no-no.
Appreciate 0