E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > first track day!

12-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
ri35i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

first track day!

Bone stock 07 335i sport package automatic.

I did my first event in this particular car last week. I had done 4-5 event last year in a 2009 Corolla with some suspension work and what I feel were super sticky tires [Dunlop Direzza Z2]

The 335 was incredible especially considering it was my first time driving a rwd car hard since about 2001

The track is roughly a hair over a mile and on immediate back to back runs the warning popped up that the car was going to overheat. I quickly diagnosed it as a bad blower motor. It was working just not blowing as hard as it could [its getting fixed under warranty as we speak].

I found the car hard to drive with traction control fully disabled, because my inputs on the steering wheel were just to aggressive. But it was fun sliding the rear out on occasion.

My only complaint...the tires? stock Bridgestone RE050A RFT on staggered 18s.

Are these things garbage on the track or is it just me?

It has never even crossed my mind to increase HP in this car until I can handle the 300hp on the track. But I do think I want to ditch these tires?

Has anyone used the Dunlop Direzza Z2 star specs on their 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
They're not great but not that bad neither. The Bridgestone RFT's have pretty stiff sidewalls which help with rollover.

I see you're in New England, which track did you hit up?
      12-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

From what I gathered, Dunlop Z2 need proper negative camber to prevent chunking on our heavy e9x platform. Other than that, they looks like pretty good choice to go for dual purpose tires. Other choices are RE11 (more street friendly), RS3 (better dry grip, but sub-optimal wet grip), Rival (conflicting reports on these tires), that you might want to look into.

Btw, dunno sup with Hankook R-S3 Version 2 sizes, I bought 255/35r18 and 265/35r18 of these tires back in July from tirerack. Looks like they are no longer listed on their website... Not sure if they are discontinued or out of stock...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri35i View Post
Bone stock 07 335i sport package automatic.

I did my first event in this particular car last week. I had done 4-5 event last year in a 2009 Corolla with some suspension work and what I feel were super sticky tires [Dunlop Direzza Z2]

The 335 was incredible especially considering it was my first time driving a rwd car hard since about 2001

The track is roughly a hair over a mile and on immediate back to back runs the warning popped up that the car was going to overheat. I quickly diagnosed it as a bad blower motor. It was working just not blowing as hard as it could [its getting fixed under warranty as we speak].

I found the car hard to drive with traction control fully disabled, because my inputs on the steering wheel were just to aggressive. But it was fun sliding the rear out on occasion.

My only complaint...the tires? stock Bridgestone RE050A RFT on staggered 18s.

Are these things garbage on the track or is it just me?

It has never even crossed my mind to increase HP in this car until I can handle the 300hp on the track. But I do think I want to ditch these tires?

Has anyone used the Dunlop Direzza Z2 star specs on their 3 series?
I don't like RE050A RFT at all. I took them off right after I purchased my car. It is not a track tire and wet performance is horrible.

I use RE-11A and they are very good including wet performance. I am thinking of trying R888 next year as many HPDE folks recommend it. An LSD would do wonders for your car with all the power together with good tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #5
ri35i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
They're not great but not that bad neither. The Bridgestone RFT's have pretty stiff sidewalls which help with rollover.

I see you're in New England, which track did you hit up?

Check out ADSI on FB..Quonset RI

Thanks for all the recommendations guys
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ri35i View Post
Check out ADSI on FB..Quonset RI

Thanks for all the recommendations guys
Seriously? LOL

The ADSI Promo Team has formed a strategic alliance with Spring Green Auto Rental to bring you some top notch modeling talent along with a beautiful automobile collection. The promo team will now have a dedicated website at http://promo.1adsi.com

This modeling thing aside, seems like it's a defensive driving course + basic road course instruction which eventually leads to open track time. Not sure how I feel about this format since there's no designation of run/skill level groups within the open track day.
      12-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Seriously? LOL

The ADSI Promo Team has formed a strategic alliance with Spring Green Auto Rental to bring you some top notch modeling talent along with a beautiful automobile collection. The promo team will now have a dedicated website at http://promo.1adsi.com

This modeling thing aside, seems like it's a defensive driving course + basic road course instruction which eventually leads to open track time. Not sure how I feel about this format since there's no designation of run/skill level groups within the open track day.
lol

They did mention bikini car wash, so I am ok with it... As long as they are not washing my car, lol
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #8
ri35i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yea I don't know anything about how they advertise but its a great thing they do.

You can do a morning class with some really skilled drivers than the track event or just come for the track event.

They make 3-4 different courses but typically they are a hair over a mile long.

Its timed laps not side by side racing.

I got about 15 laps in last time.

Some really cool cars come out I have seen supercharged NSXs, 911s, some e30 and E46 M3s, alot of Stis etc. Its pretty cool.
Appreciate 0