European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

12-06-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Black M4 Convertible

Garage List
Parking Assist Feature

Does the Parking Assist Feature really only help for parallel parking? I'm trying to understand the value of the feature and whether its worth ordering???

The videos online and literature at BMWUSA.com don't really explain the feature in enough detail.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Pretty cool feature, but looks more complicated than just doing it manually. Seriously, if you have trouble parking your car in tight spaces you should get 2 cones and spend an hour in a parking lot. It should teach you the parameter of your car so you don't embarrass yourself by curb checking those expensive wheels.

The top view cameras are helpful, which I do miss not having on my M3. I had it on my X5 and 7 series, but those were bigger cars. The M3 is tiny in comparison and you get a sense of 360 view, so no need for those fancy parking features. In short, don't waste your money...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

The side and top view cameras are probably the best new tech feature on my new M4 (beating out the HUD). They're perfect for maneuvering in tight spaces. It makes the park distance sensors somewhat redundant. I haven't used the park assist yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
arube1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi s5

Just get it... It's a few dollars ...I heard it is pretty cool....but if you don't like it don't use it...I know a few people here in ny that have it and think it works very well...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

To answer your 1st question, yes parallel parking only. Is worth it? I think if you're trying to keep the cost down, this would be an option that would be lower on the list. Unless you parallel park a lot and are not comfortable doing it.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Black M4 Convertible

Garage List
Thanks everyone. I live in central texas where i can't remember the last time i had to parallel park. Since i'm getting the side / top camera option separately, i think i'll forgo the "Parking Assist" option.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

love it! push the park button, drive about 5 mph as you PASS open parking space, completely pass the space by about 5 to 10 feet, stay about two feet or so next to the car your passing, not much further, the display now will tell you to place car in reverse, do so and let go of all, slightly applying accelerator in a slow idle, car will park, although will not center, so put car in gear and pull forward to center AFTER process stops. All process will terminate if you interrupt by grabbing wheel, or brakeing.

Little suggestion, turn on your turn signal prior to slowing to 5 mph. so that cars behind will stop to allow you to backup. Otherwise your fkkd. You'll feel stupid first few times you do it, after that its so easy.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0