THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Ping.....

12-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Ping.....

Very quiet here lately. Nothing going on in F22 land or are we just out enjoying our cars too much?
      12-09-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff
Very quiet here lately. Nothing going on in F22 land or are we just out enjoying our cars too much?
There isn't a lot of F22 on the road and not many 1addicts or 3addicts have moved to 2ers. Andrew Moe and I have caught up at Pete's
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Thought I'd chime in here..... I've had BMW's for over 20 years and have loved the marque and still do. I have to say though that I've been loosing faith in the brand as of late. It's as if they have lost direction. Sure the cars drive really well but let's be real .... So do a lot of other cars. Marketing department seems to no longer know if even numbers cars should have two doors or four and apart form minimal body styling changes, they all pretty much look the same. Certainly they all look the same inside.

I have a 125i coupe and got to say I still think that is a great car. Up until recently I also had an E90 LCI and never did it cross my mind to upgrade that to the F30 as nothing appealed to me on that. Unfortunately, it was written of due to the recent hail storm we had. This sent me looking for a replacement. To cut a long story short, all cars, makes and models have their good and bad. I was fortunate to find a cancelled order for the exact spec Mercedes Benz CLA250 Sport 4matic that I wanted. I wasn't in a position to wait 5 months. I have to say, this car has style and presence way over anything BMW has for the same money and performance is plenty for what I need. If your into your technology, again this car has it in spades over the BMW. It's my first Merc so time will tell but loving it so far.

So getting back to me initial point, it's quiet here because there is a lot of other options out there that are just as good if not better for the same money or less. The message should get back to BMW that they need to lift their game. Go have a look at the new C class and tell me I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2014, 04:12 AM   #4
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I've had BMWs for 30 years along with Porsche, Audi, Volvo, HSV during this time too. BMW have often had model periods where they look alike (e30, e34, e38 for instance). MB and Audi have also had periods of common design theme across their model ranges. Hard to pick on BMW on this really, just look at the i3 & i8.

I looked at a CLA45 AMG before buying the M235. I can't see why anyone would prefer the MB apart from the noise of that engine and it's cheaper RRP with equal options. Given the 12 month wait on the MB, you have to pay full $$ but I got a big discount on my F22.

I agree on the new C class, except for the ugly rear end in a light colour like white or silver. But, it is the newest car and should be the best at the moment. This generally happens with the latest models from BMW/MB/Audi.

Everything would be different if the Australian importers didn't keep charging so much above Euro or US prices though. M3 here is more than double the US price.
      12-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

As I said, all makes and models have there good and bad and this extends to the CLA45 and the M235. I know a lot of people try to compare these cars but I personally don't see them in the same light. First and foremost, 4 door as opposed to 2. Yes, both are clasified as coupes but one is more practical if you are constantly transporting more than one passenger. I have a 1 ser coupe and know the drawback when I have business people to transport. Looks are subjective so everyone will have their opinion either fore and against. I personally couldn't wait 12 months for a car but to each there own. As for pricing, MB will discount on the CLA45 /250 even though they are on a 12 / 5 month wait and also have a comparable corporate package that includes servicing but you need to use good negotiating skills. Having said that, not all MB dealers are willing to negotiate on price but I did find a couple that would and certainly the one I ended up going with negotiated hard but fair. Anyway, the point of my post was that I personally think BMW are at a point that they are trying to be all things to everyone ensuring they have something to offer every buyer but doing so diluting the prestige image of the brand.

Once Holden, ford and toyota stop manufacturing in Aus, let's see if the LCT or taxing changes on imported cars. I bet it won't change by much. Will we see parallel import? Bet the Automotive industry won't allow that.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 05:01 AM   #6
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

If you think the C class is that good, buy one! The MB AMG CLA45 have
been recalled to replace the turbo. Rattles are being reported in the first 6 months of ownership of the CLA models. I will stick with BMW, fantastic drivers car.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
MO3
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: DCT M3

Two forum members I know owned A45 and CLA45. They both sold them and bought M235i's.

I personally think the CLA is one of the ugliest cars on the road.
      01-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #8
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

I'm beginning to see more 2er's on the road, I mistake them for 3er's mostly, I think BMW has taken the path of Audi.
The smart money is to purchase a slightly used 135i N55 and spend the extra cash on suspension mods, I bought new just in time! (same price for the 235i), after seeing the 235i spy shots I decided against it.
I think the reason why we aren't seeing 2er's is mostly due to the economy, remember the 135i came out when the Australian economy was doing quite well, when the rest of the world was in recession, not so today, oh and house prices have jump approx 40% since 2008...
      01-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #9
capitalstar
Rep
Drives: 2015 220i, deep sea, oyster

It's a niche product, too. While it doesn't have a direct competitor, that's because the market is fairly small. That's my take on it - and I'm happy about that - gives the car much more cache, IMO
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
dtcoff
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

BMW are also deliberately limiting production of the 2er. Even low sales numbers in the USA where they have to order and wait too.
      01-18-2015, 02:01 AM   #11
xrooster
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235I, E36M3, 135I SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
I'm beginning to see more 2er's on the road, I mistake them for 3er's mostly, I think BMW has taken the path of Audi.
The smart money is to purchase a slightly used 135i N55 and spend the extra cash on suspension mods, I bought new just in time! (same price for the 235i), after seeing the 235i spy shots I decided against it.
I think the reason why we aren't seeing 2er's is mostly due to the economy, remember the 135i came out when the Australian economy was doing quite well, when the rest of the world was in recession, not so today, oh and house prices have jump approx 40% since 2008...
Hi TS 135i, having just moved fom a 135i to a235i it will take more than a few mods to bring it up to that standard, iv'e only done 400klms in ours & the difference is massive, i appreciate that they are expensive i paid $84k, but 4 years ago i paid $70k for my 135i. the technology difference is everywhere through the car. cheers
Appreciate 0