E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Anyone ever install new Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter in E90?

01-14-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
babek1
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Anyone ever install new Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter in E90?

I have a 2006 330i with 140,000km (87,000) miles. I never thought of having to ever replace my fuel pump and/or fuel filter but I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever replaced it purely out of preventative/periodic maintenance? I don't believe that either part is currently giving me any issues, but my indy dealer did suggest I consider replacing them after I inquired one day about the fuel filter.

I have noticed that they come in 2 separate parts:

1. Part 16147163298 for the Pump, as per https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...98-16147163299

2. Part 16117163295 for the Filter, as per
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ft-16117163295

Apparently you also have to order Part 16116765055 also which is the Fuel Tank Seal. Seems like the filter unit is within the tank (why?).

So my question again is, has anyone ever replace the two above items? Also, if I were to buy the parts and then get my Indy shop to install them, should I bring them the car with a minimal amount of fuel in it (assuming that it would be extremely messy if the tank was full since they are opening the tank?). My guess is most people with E90's haven't needed their fuel pumps/filters replaced...

Any input/advice/tips is greatly welcomed and appreciated!

Last edited by babek1; 01-14-2015 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: forgot 1 item
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've not done the fuel pump on an E90, but have on an E30. Basically it's the same procedure. Disconnect the battery, pull the rear seat chusion, and remove the pump after disconnecting the hoses and electrics. Do it when the tank is near empty. Use a bucket to get the pump out of the car. Immedatley drop the new pump in to seal the tank. And be careful, there are a lot of gasoline fumes, so no sparks or flames nearby.

And I should add that after 273K on my car, I've not replaced the fuel pump or filter.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-15-2015 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Bebak, I am in Surrey.
I think the service manual calls for new seals also with replacing the pump.
That's pretty standard since my e46 days.

DN
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
fivesfe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Sedan

I just replaced the fuel filter on my 07 328I, which I found requires to partially pull out the fuel filter.

I know this is an old post but going to post this for search reasons, hopefully to help someone out.

my fuel filter had a crack on top that was leaking fuel.

first I ordered my parts off Ebay, they came from a dealership in Atlanta, got the fuel filter for 128 shipped, found out that after i did all the work it came with new seals.

first lift up on the back seat, it pops right off with a bit of force, pull back the sound deadning material

under you will see 2 access panels, they have 10mm bolts holding them on. once they are off unplug the wires running threw them and set to the side.

under there you will see a lock ring, most peasants will have an issue getting these off, i sprayed pb plaster into the little slits on them, let sit then use a mallet and a screw driver to pound these things off, make sure to hit in different places. it may take some time but it will come off.

once you have the lock rings off, unplug the actual fuel lines, gas will leak out of these. i started the car will all the electrical plugs unplugged to use any of the gas in the lines. i still got gas all over the place though.

the line on the fuel filter was a bit tough, it has a push lock style connector but was still tough to get off, ended up using percision screw drivers very carefully to get it.

next pull the fuel pump straight up, try grabbing it from one of the connecters in the center, it should come in to two peices, unplug pretty much every hose you see, 3 of them go threw the gas tank to the filter.

once you have done that mangle the fuel filter out with the lines. the new filter comes in with all the new lines, i ended up cutting some of the lines out of frustration lol.

next just pay attention where all your lines go and reinstall. my car took a few tries to start after and gave me a warning light, once started it ran rough for about 30 seconds before she started to idle normal. while it was running i checked everything for leaks then put all the panels back on and back seat in.

I wish i took pictures of the process but was in a hurry to get it done.

I used these to links as well

how to get lock ring off

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 4
      09-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #5
mrheinze
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Lock ring removal

I replaced the fuel filter recently. I had trouble with the lock rings, tried the approach with a hammer and PB blaster without much success. I did not feel like beating on the lock rings to the point they would need to be replaced.

I ended up making up a basic tool that mimics the BMW factory tool for doing this job, made from 1/2" aluminium stock that I had on hand. It made the job so much easier, especially since you need to deal with the lock rings on both sides.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #6
2PInZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Black/Black

I replaced both on my 07 328xi this summer at around 109k miles. Definitely made an immediate difference. I had it done at a shop and the mechanic showed me the old pump and filter...the pump looked fine but the filter looked cruddy (always used only premium gas).

I was pretty annoyed that our cars don't have the simple filter units that are located under the driver's side like a lot of the other e90s...that would have been a lot cheaper/easier and I probably would have done it at home.

I've been running chevron techron with my fuel after changing them and this month i'll be sending out my fuel injectors to be cleaned. The idea is that with a new pump/filter, the only remaining crud will be in the fuel line and fuel injector filters...so after running clean fuel with techron mixed in for awhile, a fuel injector cleaning will get most of w/e's left. Replacing the fuel line itself is a ton of work so I didn't bother spending much time on that.
Appreciate 0