E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Autocrossing a 335d

01-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
Stresspuppy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Autocrossing a 335d

I recently purchased a 335d and plan to take it to an autocross in a few weeks. It's a NASA event but meant just as a test and tune. I've done it before in another car, but that was a gas manual. Doing it in a diesel automatic that is much heavier is going to be a challenge.

My car is a non-sport, no paddle shifters with the only mod being a JBD that I'm running at 100% at the moment but may back it down a bit (85?).

I'm looking for input on the best approach to launch, gear/rpm range, traction control, etc. with all the torque and being an auto, I'm sure the mindset is a little different.

My thought is traction off, start in second, get it up into the power band (what is the approx band for this engine?) and just keep it there.

The 335d isn't even listed in the NASA classification list so I'm hoping to make a good showing and surprise some folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:17 AM   #2
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Considering it would be your first time doing autox in this car, I'll say take off the JBD... at least for the first few runs to get the hang of your car. Launching technique could vary depending on the course design. Our RPM range is different, but you should have a good feel on when to shift. Hope you find this somewhat helpful.
      01-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresspuppy View Post
I recently purchased a 335d and plan to take it to an autocross in a few weeks. It's a NASA event but meant just as a test and tune. I've done it before in another car, but that was a gas manual. Doing it in a diesel automatic that is much heavier is going to be a challenge.

My car is a non-sport, no paddle shifters with the only mod being a JBD that I'm running at 100% at the moment but may back it down a bit (85?).

I'm looking for input on the best approach to launch, gear/rpm range, traction control, etc. with all the torque and being an auto, I'm sure the mindset is a little different.

My thought is traction off, start in second, get it up into the power band (what is the approx band for this engine?) and just keep it there.

The 335d isn't even listed in the NASA classification list so I'm hoping to make a good showing and surprise some folks.

Just a word of caution - be extremely careful with traction off. You have to know the car and limits very well and modulate the throttle properly with appropriate steering input. The rear end can come out quickly and just snap with hardly any time to correct. It would be a good idea to practice a bit on skid pad if you have a chance.

I would run it stock if this is your first time in this car. Being a diesel you will have plenty of tq in 2nd gear but use this event more of an opportunity to bond with the car.

GL and have fun!

Report back how it went.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #4
Stresspuppy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. My concern is the car is quite an unknown at this point and a LOT more power than the last car I ran: a 1972 Datsun 240z I fully restored. I know that car well, where the band is, etc. And at 125 bhp at the rear wheels, you can't get yourself in too much trouble. The BWM on the other hand, big difference. I just wish I had some place to go practice and learn the car without ending up in jail.

I have another week before the autocross, so hopefully I can get to some big parking lot that is empty or something and just try a few things.

So other than just figuring things out when running the autocross, how/where do most people test, tune, learn? I'm looking to do one of the schools and get into HPDE at some point but also want to do autocross. I have a bad feeling this is going to get addictive...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #5
EJ_3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e34 525i & e60 530i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.34]
2016 Ram 1500 Sport  [8.00]
1994 BMW 525i  [10.00]
2007 BMW 530i  [8.66]
Test and tune at the track/course only. There's too many variables anywhere else (i.e. pedestrians, traffic, road conditions, cops, etc). I guess an abandoned parking lot free of debris would be idea, but personal/private property would be best if you have the urge. FWIW, most people usually prefer HPDE or Autox, I enjoy both. And yes, it's addictive.
      01-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Stresspuppy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks. Yes, no side street or populated stuff for me. Definitely would not endanger anyone (other than myself if I'm being stupid). And I'm more worried about my wife being pissed at me than the tickets or fines!

I've not done HPDE but it sounds more up my alley. I'm going to try to find the next one around here and sign up. Unfortunately I am having surgery on both wrists for carpal tunnel right have this autoX so it might be a little while before I can handle gripping the wheel properly for racing.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stresspuppy View Post
Thanks. Yes, no side street or populated stuff for me. Definitely would not endanger anyone (other than myself if I'm being stupid). And I'm more worried about my wife being pissed at me than the tickets or fines!

I've not done HPDE but it sounds more up my alley. I'm going to try to find the next one around here and sign up. Unfortunately I am having surgery on both wrists for carpal tunnel right have this autoX so it might be a little while before I can handle gripping the wheel properly for racing.
You only need two thumbs for HPDE and you should definitely do it!

Summit Point is great and has skid pad. Go with P or BMW CCA. P is more relaxed (teaching and not safety wise) with excellent instructors. Also, VIR is nice and very fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
Stresspuppy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

VIR is close and what I was originally looking at. But I definitely want to do Summit Point some day.

Unfortunately, the thumbs (well the pad between the thumb and first finger) are what hurt the most right now because the nerves are pinched. I'm not sure how they will feel, but I'm definitely going to get out there as soon as I can. Not sure why exactly, but getting this 335d has pushed me much harder to do this stuff. I wanted to before, but feel like it is pulling/calling me now.
Appreciate 0