proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Closed Thread

01-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Awful scraping noise coming from rear brake

Hi all:

I was on a Starbucks run this morning and half way through town I starting hearing a metal on metal scraping noise coming from the back left wheel well.

I have a video but the forum isn't allowing it to upload. It's an awful and loud metal on metal sound, and i am dumbfounded with what could have caused it. Nothing abnormal happened on the drive today. Car is garage kept, so nothing could have happened overnight.

Has anyone else had anything similar? Would love to share the video if I can figure it out. It's a .MOV from my iPhone and is sitting on my computer now.

Thanks,
Chris
      01-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
Hello World
'merican in the DE
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainswayM4 View Post
Hi all:

I was on a Starbucks run this morning and half way through town I starting hearing a metal on metal scraping noise coming from the back left wheel well.

I have a video but the forum isn't allowing it to upload. It's an awful and loud metal on metal sound, and i am dumbfounded with what could have caused it. Nothing abnormal happened on the drive today. Car is garage kept, so nothing could have happened overnight.

Has anyone else had anything similar? Would love to share the video if I can figure it out. It's a .MOV from my iPhone and is sitting on my computer now.

Thanks,
Chris
Ive had a similar issue with rocks/gravel getting stuck in the heat shield behind the wheel. Sounds horrendous but it always works itself out (in my experience). Hope thats all it is for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
GainswayM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4: MWM Dinan Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello World View Post
Ive had a similar issue with rocks/gravel getting stuck in the heat shield behind the wheel. Sounds horrendous but it always works itself out (in my experience). Hope thats all it is for you.
That's what it was - got it out. Thanks, sir!

2017 Alpine White X5 M Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainswayM4
Hi all:

Thanks,
Chris
Pebble and Tarmac debris between heat shield and rotor. Sounds like you managed it already...it happens frequently. I had one recently that was fairly stubborn. Some forum members have gently pushed the heat shield away from the rotor into a position that reduces the risk of this occuring.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #5
GainswayM4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4: MWM Dinan Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilant View Post
Pebble and Tarmac debris between heat shield and rotor. Sounds like you managed it already...it happens frequently. I had one recently that was fairly stubborn. Some forum members have gently pushed the heat shield away from the rotor into a position that reduces the risk of this occuring.
You're exactly right. I pushed the heat shield back on all sides and a little pebble fell. Amazing how much noise that little thing caused. Video here.

2017 Alpine White X5 M Sport
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #6
Gstone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 GT350, '15 M4 sold

Welcome to the club, the annoying pebble screeching club
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
Rodriguezw92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 San Marino Blue F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
  [0.00]
I had the same issue in the past nothing major
      01-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #8
Hello World
'merican in the DE
Germany
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GainswayM4 View Post
That's what it was - got it out. Thanks, sir!
Glad it worked out. It is horribly embarrasing, I hate rolling up to a stop light in traffic with that sound. I'll have to try bending my heat shields back a little.
Appreciate 2
Closed Thread