E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e90 problems

02-23-2015, 12:51 AM   #1
mazez
Private
Rep
Drives: Daughter of the 335 and 328

e90 problems

Hey Guys, I bought my 06 330i with 105k about a month ago. Bought it for $8,500 clean carfax. It is black on black has premium, sport, and cold weather package. I bought the car knowing the rear main seal and oil pan gasket were both leaking. I fixed a couple of things and am wondering if there is anything else I should look out for or do as preventative mainenance. I want my car to be solid as I plan on keeping it atleast through college.
Heres my list
-Rear Main Seal, Oil pan gasket, Valve cover gasket, Aluminum Main head bolts, Crankcase breather hose, Oil filter housing gasket, Lower radiator hose and sensor, coolant flush, spark plugs, and an oxygen sensor.
-Stuff I need/ want to do- Transmission fluid/filter and mechatronics sleeve, differential fluid, power steering fluid, brake fluid and my windshield washer fluid reservoir, ahc control module, water pump/thermostat.

I wish I had done more research about the car before I bought it, It's a money pit, but I love it, wish it had a little more power but 335i has even more problems apparently. Seems like I am experiencing all of the common problems for the 330i...
Thanks, sorry for such a long post, I just want my car to be 100% reliable and leak/worry free before i start modding it. I wonder to myself everyday if it's worth putting all this money into a car barely worth 11k.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:15 AM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Congrats on your purchase. Ive had mine for 10 yrs now and other that the maintenance stuff you mentioned you already have a solid machine. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If the plugs weren't done at 100K then they are scheduled for replacement. Coolant and driveline fluids are also due at 100K. Brake fluid is every 2 years from the date of manufacture. The other stuff I'd leave until it breaks. Leaking pan gasket, unless it is make a pure mess, I'd gently retorque the pan bolts first and see how that helps. If the valve cover is not leaking leave it alone. BMW says replace the O2 sensors at 120,000. I did one of mine at 126K when it threw a SES light, the other 3 are still original at 275K.

If the out-side head bolt is broken, replace it, but doing all of them as preventative maintenance is way overkill. OFHG if it's leaking.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
jon_335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

If you're willing to DIY, I'd take a weekend to replace the water pump, thermostat, hoses, and oil filter housing gasket. You need to drain the cooling system so that counts for your coolant flush. Then I'd look at spark plugs.

The rest of the fluid changes do as you have time and money … I don't think there is any huge hurry to get to them, with maybe the exception of brake fluid.

2007 BMW 335i | Garner, North Carolina
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
If budget allows, maybe consider replacing the eccentric shaft sensor since the valve cover is coming off. But looks like most things you have already got covered - maybe clean the Vanos solenoids.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:50 PM   #6
mazez
Private
Rep
Drives: Daughter of the 335 and 328

"Rear Main Seal, Oil pan gasket, Valve cover gasket, Aluminum Main head bolts, Crankcase breather hose, Oil filter housing gasket, Lower radiator hose and sensor, coolant flush, spark plugs, and an oxygen sensor"

These are all items that I have already fixed.
Appreciate 0