E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 2011 E90 N55 still under warrenty

03-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
projectman
Rep
Drives: 97 M3 e36

2011 E90 N55 still under warrenty

Hey Guys,

I recently have purchased a 2011 335i E90, 6 speed, M Sport, with about 37k miles on it from a private seller. They took great care of the car and it looks great. Of course,after driving it around for a 1k miles you begin to notice its quirks.

Two main ones that I would like to discuss:

When I make a sharp turn, like when I am turning in a parking garage, once I turn the the wheel more that 45 degrees, the power steering starts to make a moaning sound.

The second is hard to describe, when the car is turned on and idling, I can hear an extra noise in the engine. It sounds like something is worn down and not running completely smooth. What comes to mind is water pump, belts, I really don't know.

Luckily the car is still under warranty for the next 6 months. My question to you guys, is how can I best describe or get the dealer to recognize and find these mechanical issues before the warranty expires. I have never dealt with the dealer and a warranty, so I am not sure how the process works.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Welcome to the forum.

Your best bet is to try your local dealer. You may be able to search the regional forum board and find a dealer in Houston that other members say does good work, is easy to work with etc...

Once you've set up an appointment with a service advisor with the dealer, report your issues to the advisor. The SA should document your requests in the repair order. Get the SA to go on a test drive with you while you demonstrate the issues.

After demonstrating the issues, you'll need to leave your car with the dealer so a mechanic can investigate. The SA will report back to you if any issues are found.

Now a couple of notes:
- The SA and mechanic may report that both of your issues are normal. Save your repair order. This will show that your reported the issues prior to the warranty expiring, if they are truly issues and require repair. Keep the repair order! If the issue gets worse within a reasonable amount of time after the warranty expires, the dealership should still cover the repair, if it was reported on a repair order before the warranty expired.
- Not all noises are issues. All cars make different noises. Your goal here is to document what you think are issues on a repair order.
- The dealership does not have to give you a loaner. If you want one, you'll need to inquire with the SA when setting up the appointment.
Appreciate 0