E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > First Track Day Bro!

04-01-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
SupremePower1
Rep
Drives: ///

First Track Day Bro!

Well this week marks my first week of track addiction. Yes after just one day out at Buttonwillow I'm officially hooked. Brief run down of the day and the parts I used for those who may be interested in getting involved in a track day based on my experience. First the details:

Me: Intermediate Experience (Avid Enthusiast who has attended a number of track events just not with my own car ///M Driving School being one of them)

Car: 2013 335i Coupe / 6AT / Space Gray / Coral Red Interior

Suspension: Super Sport Coilovers

Wheels: APEX EC-7 18x9.0 +31 | 18x9.5 +22

Tires: Hankook RS-3 (235/40/18) | 265/30/18

Engine: Stock

Event Organizer: Speed District (Tightie from M3Forum)

The Morning was easy, got up to Buttonwillow around 7:45am. Driver's meeting was at 8:00am and got out onto the track around 8:30am.

Started off in the beginner session as a warm up. Wanted to get acclimated to the track, the surface and most importantly the car.

Used to driving the canyons and pretty aggressively in the city so I had an idea of the dynamics but hadn't ridden on this wheel and tire setup for longer than 12 hours at that point.

Review: The car performed Stellar. Not one hiccup throughout the day. Oil temps did rise during the later afternoon sessions so I had to keep an eye on that, but that was to be expected. Next day headed to the dealer for a quart of oil which took all of 5 minutes. Thank Goodness for Warranty.

Track: Buttonwillow was recently repaved so its as smooth as butter. Challenging with a lot of fast sweepers and some technical bits..then of course a fun straight to put your pedal to the floor.

Tires: The Hankooks are phenomenal! I haven't tried any other rubber yet but I don't know if I will ever need to do so. A ton of grip and I mean a ton. So much front end bite I was shocked at how well I could place the car out of the braking zone.

Coilovers: Great! Supersport is made by KW over in Germany and we import them for VW and Audi products all the time. So I figured why not try them out, they are only $750. If I could, I would have made them stiffer for a bit more body control but they are a great compromise for the street and track. Don't see a reason to change at this point.

If anyone is looking for a set please feel free to PM. Would recommend.

Brakes: Worked great throughout the day. They do feel a bit mushy now that I'm back on the street so will likely need to see the dealer for some new pads and perhaps rotors.

Speed District:
Extremely laid back event with the nicest people you could meet. Struck up multiple conversations with folks who were relative veterans on the track who were more than willing to hop in the car and give instructions to help you get better. All in all I would give Speed District 100%. Oh and they provide all of the photos you see gratis. Memories to cherish forever.

Changes: In the future, pending I keep this car for the long run, an aftermarket oil cooler will be in the near future along with an intercooler from ER. Also would likely run a track pad given that I feel as if I've melted mine.

Best time of the day was a 2:14 which seems respectable for the car and my experience. Looking forward to the next event!

Last edited by SupremePower1; 04-01-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Super jealous, and I'm glad you had fun man. I LOVE the review!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
SupremePower1
Rep
Drives: ///

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Super jealous, and I'm glad you had fun man. I LOVE the review!
Thanks! Def changed my perspective on the cars we drive everyday. Something you must experience at least once as an enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

Nice man looks lots of fun, can't wait to go to Road America with some of my friends with their AutoX cars that they also track I'm addicted to AutoX and now Tracking my car.
But I'll be needing some smaller rims haha the m359 are way too big (19)