R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

04-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

FS: 19" OEM Rims (Black) w/ MPSS Tires

Located in Edmonton, AB.

Have a set of 4 OEM F80 M3 Rims, 19" in Black with brand new MPSS tires. Tires are mounted/balanced from factory. Just bolt them on your car and go.

Pulled these off my car in November (at time of vehicle purchase) and swapped to my winter setup. Have been sitting in my garage since.

Asking $3500 CAD. Willing to ship anywhere in Canada via greyhound, or meet within a few hours drive.

PM for any questions.

**Updated**

Last edited by Kartelli; 04-14-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:31 PM   #2
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Out of curiosity, how do you have TPMS on Canadian OEM tires?

I didn't think any of ours came with that hardware as the cars aren't set up for it....
      04-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Pics Attached (13.04.2015)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Out of curiosity, how do you have TPMS on Canadian OEM tires?

I didn't think any of ours came with that hardware as the cars aren't set up for it....
Good question, my car has the Tech/Executive/Premium packages. The 19" rims have the tpms in them (im not sure which package it does come with...) how do I know, I drove without tpms on my winter setup and had the annoying lights on the dash all winter
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

For $3500 maybe give them a wash before posting... just saying you may have more luck selling if they look mint. GLWS
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Good question, my car has the Tech/Executive/Premium packages. The 19" rims have the tpms in them (im not sure which package it does come with...) how do I know, I drove without tpms on my winter setup and had the annoying lights on the dash all winter
I have the same packages and also have run winters (which were mounted by a third party, not the dealer) and no lights. Was it just the tire pressure light that was going off?

If so, I'm not sure that means you have TPMS sensors - it likely just means you needed to reset the tire pressure monitor as that is how the passive TPMS system most Canadian cars have works...
      04-13-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

they definitely need a wash from sitting all winter! they have literally 10 kilometers on the set (was nasty outside in november). Drove the car home from the dealership, and then back to dealership when my winter set arrived.

3500 includes shipping anywhere in Canada
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
M3Fanatics
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 YMB F80 M3 '15 BSM F15 X5

Can we get the actual pressure if we get the TPMS and do coding?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #9
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I have the same packages and also have run winters (which were mounted by a third party, not the dealer) and no lights. Was it just the tire pressure light that was going off?

If so, I'm not sure that means you have TPMS sensors - it likely just means you needed to reset the tire pressure monitor as that is how the passive TPMS system most Canadian cars have works...
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fanatics View Post

myzmak is correct... likely the flat tire monitoring (passive) system needs resetting.

M3Fanatics... No, because Canadian cars do NOT have TPMS. This is a very well known fact and something I know for sure with my own car. They have FTM in Canadian cars which compares tire rotation to determine if one tire is out of sync. If the OP has TPMS, he either has a non-Canadian car or a Canadian freak

OP... the tire in your photo looks like it has a black rubber valve stem. A car with TPMS has a metal, non-flexible, valve stem. Check the valve stems and if they are black rubber, there is no TPMS.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3

Last edited by gthal; 04-13-2015 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Fanatics View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
myzmak is correct... likely the flat tire monitoring (passive) system needs resetting.

M3Fanatics... No, because Canadian cars do NOT have TPMS. This is a very well known fact and something I know for sure with my own car. They have FTM in Canadian cars which compares tire rotation to determine if one tire is out of sync. If the OP has TPMS, he either has a non-Canadian car or a Canadian freak

OP... the tire in your photo looks like it has a black rubber valve stem. A car with TPMS has a metal, non-flexible, valve stem. Check the valve stems and if they are black rubber, there is no TPMS.
Yes, as gthal says.

To expand a bit, the Canadian system (sometimes called 'indirect' or 'passive' TPMS does not measure the absolute tire pressure like you see in the cars south of the border (with the fancy display, etc). Rather, all the system does is measure the relative wheel diameters of the 4 tires by measuring the rotational speed of the wheel (i believe it does this via the ABS). If one tire loses pressure, its diameter will be reduced. That means that to go as far, the tire will have to turn over more times (think about how many times you have to roll a 1" disc vs a 10" disc to go 5 feet...) Turning over more times to go the same distance as the rest of the car means that the rotational speed for that one wheel will be increased. Your car will assume that comes from a tire pressure loss and, voila! the light goes on.

Unfortunately, i know ALL about that because on my old 328 xi I had a terrible terrible experience with some summer wheels i bought that, due to poor installation of hard-to-install low profile RFT tires, they were just destroyed and leaked constantly. the 'beep' of the tire pressure system was a constant companion for me one very, very frustrating summer.

The system sometimes gets fooled up here because of cold weather. In really cold weather the tire can lose a bit of pressure or size (cold air is condensed) and the system can go off. Happens all the time to my mom's Ford Escape. She lives in Sask so, like OP (in Edmonton) can get very cold weather.

The original systems were kind of stupid because, as mentioned, it is all based on relative speed. If (somehow) you had an equal loss of pressure in all 4 tires you'd get no warning because, relative to each other, the wheels would still be spinning at the same rate. The new systems apparently can measure a loss in all 4 at once....though i dont know how well it all works.

Once you have corrected the issue, you have to reset the system via the iDrive.

What i've always wondered is why Canadian cars don't get the fancy-schmancy TPMS they get down south. It would be sooooooo much more convenient. Worth the modest cost of the little monitors.....
      04-13-2015, 09:24 PM   #11
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Yes, as gthal says.

To expand a bit, the Canadian system (sometimes called 'indirect' or 'passive' TPMS does not measure the absolute tire pressure like you see in the cars south of the border (with the fancy display, etc). Rather, all the system does is measure the relative wheel diameters of the 4 tires by measuring the rotational speed of the wheel (i believe it does this via the ABS). If one tire loses pressure, its diameter will be reduced. That means that to go as far, the tire will have to turn over more times (think about how many times you have to roll a 1" disc vs a 10" disc to go 5 feet...) Turning over more times to go the same distance as the rest of the car means that the rotational speed for that one wheel will be increased. Your car will assume that comes from a tire pressure loss and, voila! the light goes on.

Unfortunately, i know ALL about that because on my old 328 xi I had a terrible terrible experience with some summer wheels i bought that, due to poor installation of hard-to-install low profile RFT tires, they were just destroyed and leaked constantly. the 'beep' of the tire pressure system was a constant companion for me one very, very frustrating summer.

The system sometimes gets fooled up here because of cold weather. In really cold weather the tire can lose a bit of pressure or size (cold air is condensed) and the system can go off. Happens all the time to my mom's Ford Escape. She lives in Sask so, like OP (in Edmonton) can get very cold weather.

The original systems were kind of stupid because, as mentioned, it is all based on relative speed. If (somehow) you had an equal loss of pressure in all 4 tires you'd get no warning because, relative to each other, the wheels would still be spinning at the same rate. The new systems apparently can measure a loss in all 4 at once....though i dont know how well it all works.

Once you have corrected the issue, you have to reset the system via the iDrive.

What i've always wondered is why Canadian cars don't get the fancy-schmancy TPMS they get down south. It would be sooooooo much more convenient. Worth the modest cost of the little monitors.....
Believe you do not want the TPMS!I have 3 sets of wheels & tires for the M4 and with the FTM you do not need to bother with having sensors in every wheel and making sure they communicate with the car every time you do a tire swap!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #12
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Yes, as gthal says.
The TPMS may be a better system but is not exactly a "modest" cost. A set of 4 sensors is US$325 at getbmwparts. As mentioned, this can add up if you have multiple sets of wheels. I'm assuming this is why BMW does not use the TPMS system in Canada. They don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #13
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Believe you do not want the TPMS!I have 3 sets of wheels & tires for the M4 and with the FTM you do not need to bother with having sensors in every wheel and making sure they communicate with the car every time you do a tire swap!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
The TPMS may be a better system but is not exactly a "modest" cost. A set of 4 sensors is US$325 at getbmwparts. As mentioned, this can add up if you have multiple sets of wheels. I'm assuming this is why BMW does not use the TPMS system in Canada. They don't have to.
Yeah, both fair points. Never had to live with the reality of TPMS and I've seen the Canadian tire industry make points like the foregoing above too so I certainly accept there is validity to those points.

In response, though, I would tend to think:
- on an 80k+ car, the cost of the TPMS isn't too bad for a second set of tires.
- agree that making sure they all communicated would be a PITA - but I am lazy and usually get the dealer or a tire shop to do the swap anyway (I was gonna buy a good jack and torque wrench and do my own with this car....but I got busy, it got nice and, wouldn't you know it, today Lucy is at the dealership and they are doing he work for me....). Dealerships can make sure they work as, I expect, can any reputable tire shop.

I would also note that when mandatory TPMS was first brought into the USA in 2007 many of the above points were raised. Since that time...I don't hear much complaining about it there - seems to be working out. And the benefit of convenience in being able to read pressure on the iDrive screen would be nice. I hate checking the pressure in the winter and have been known to get lazy on doing so.....

(final point: to a limited extent the indirect TPMS is required up here; RFTs essentially require it because, without some TPMS, the driver would have no idea until the tire was truly dead)
      04-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #14
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the clarification guys, I was not aware of the Canadian rim set not having TPMS.

Regardless, someone buy this literally brand new set! I'll wash and post updated pictures here shortly
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 02:17 AM   #15
k335d
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335d

Any chance you will sell the wheels minus tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #16
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

not interested in splitting up the rims/tires at this time. Thanks though!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #17
redfox
INSTAGRAM: @yaasplease
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M4

Just so you guys know, my factory rims came with sensors in the rims, but the car wasn't programmed to read them. Not sure how that happened. How do I know? I swapped tires from factory rims to aftermarket ones. Guys at SimplyTire asked if I have TPMS, I said no. They said, are you sure? I said yes. And then, they unmounted the tire, and I looked like a fool. LOL!
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2015, 10:47 PM   #18
Jacque8883
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
Just so you guys know, my factory rims came with sensors in the rims, but the car wasn't programmed to read them. Not sure how that happened. How do I know? I swapped tires from factory rims to aftermarket ones. Guys at SimplyTire asked if I have TPMS, I said no. They said, are you sure? I said yes. And then, they unmounted the tire, and I looked like a fool. LOL!
Not sure if you guys were referring to Canadian M3/4 don't have TPMS or just in general Canadian cars, as I had a Macan S and it did have TPMS (showing exact pressure of each of the tires).

Don't know about Canadian M3/4 though as I'm waiting to place my order later in the year (hopefully) for a 2016 model....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #19
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque8883 View Post
Not sure if you guys were referring to Canadian M3/4 don't have TPMS or just in general Canadian cars, as I had a Macan S and it did have TPMS (showing exact pressure of each of the tires).

Don't know about Canadian M3/4 though as I'm waiting to place my order later in the year (hopefully) for a 2016 model....
And doing other wheels either for track or winter is more of a problem compared to a vehicle that uses the FTM system.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
Really?

Crazy.

I wonder how common that is......

...and then I wonder if it is possible to program the car to read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacque8883 View Post
Yeah, there are some manufacturers that include the full-mean-deal system in Canada (too much of a PITA to send different cars to Canada and USA) but BMW is not one of them. We just get the indirect system (and, apparently, sometimes the sensors too....)
      04-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #21
01ON19
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I asked at dealer if I got the wheel sensors if they could recode the car to use the U.S. style direct system. They said they could not, because Canadian cars do not have the proper receiver(s) and that part is a factory install.

Would be interested to know if that is true or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 08:06 AM   #22
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Bump!! Someone buy this set!
Appreciate 0