E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Radiant heat tape to insulate air flow?

01-17-2006, 03:17 PM   #1
qwert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i - Monaco Blue, Gray int.

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Question Radiant heat tape to insulate air flow?

If I were to put some of this stuff around the outside the air box and the plastic part where the air flows (didn't know what to call it) would there be much difference? I know I wouldn't be able to really feel a difference, but wouldn't the insulation help cut down on "heatsoaking" and maybe help performance a bit?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

*sigh* No. In the tradition of "keeping it real" all I can say is "You should've bought a 330" OR "wait 8 mo's and buy a supercharger for ~$9k".
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 03:31 PM   #3
qwert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i - Monaco Blue, Gray int.

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well I'm not trying to make my 325 into a 330...I was just looking for some cheap and easy ways to help performance a bit...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2006, 04:38 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I understand, but 99% of the aftermarket stuff out there doesn't really provide any significant benefits. You have to ask yourself..How much $/hp gained are you willing to pay. $300 for a CAI that "might" give you 7 hp? Is that really worth it? $400 for a chip that will void your warranty and give you 10 hp at the expense of mileage or emissions. Is that worth it?

I know I"m raining on your parade, but I just feel that the younger E90 owners need to be fully informed about these "mods". BMW engineers your car with the best combination of power/performance/reliablity at a fair price..(well maybe no so fair). Race cars do amazing things, but they need to be worked on ALL the time.

My best advice is to save your $$ and in about 6 yrs you can pick up a nice used E90 M3, that'll give you all the power you'll want.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert
Well I'm not trying to make my 325 into a 330...I was just looking for some cheap and easy ways to help performance a bit...
Sigh...
If there was such a thing BMW would have incorporated it into the design, upped the official hp number and sold your car for a little more money.

There simply is no cheap or easy performance mod for highly developed cars like a BMW E90.

Or rather there are such mods, but they have nothing to do with the engine:

- Learn how to drive (I mean really drive)
- Spec your car with as little equipment as possible (reduce weight)
- Clean out your trunk and interior of all the trash
- Take out your backseats
- Change your front seats for lighter racing seats
- Go on a personal diet
- Turn off the AC
- Buy the best fuel you can lay your hands on (highest octane)
- Keep the fuel tank close to empty

The list could go on for ever. Just leave the engine alone, itīs the area where your going to achieve the least.