Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-01-2015, 08:01 AM   #1
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB F82

Opinions on laser touch-free car wash?

Hello,

We are starting to see the inevitable struggle that we won't always have time to wash our M4 by hand and I want to pamper her, hate seeing it even slightly dirty

What are your opinions on the laser car washes? nothing touches the car just sprays, waxes, and dries. Then when you get out you would use your own materials to re-wipe with microfiber ect.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Only time I'd use one of these is if the cars barely dirty, or if the cars extremely dirty and I plan to traditionally wash it after. I wouldn't touch the car with any products after because chances are the wash didn't remove all the dirt/dust etc on the car and you'll only be wiping it into your dry paint. Also, these tend to use harsher soaps id imagine so any sort of wax/protectant you have on the car will be murdered. With all that said, still would prefer this to a traditional conveyor belt wash or even a high volume handwash
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyM3 View Post
Only time I'd use one of these is if the cars barely dirty, or if the cars extremely dirty and I plan to traditionally wash it after. I wouldn't touch the car with any products after because chances are the wash didn't remove all the dirt/dust etc on the car and you'll only be wiping it into your dry paint. Also, these tend to use harsher soaps id imagine so any sort of wax/protectant you have on the car will be murdered. With all that said, still would prefer this to a traditional conveyor belt wash or even a high volume handwash
Spot on.

But in bad weather climates on bad days to get the road salt and sand off the car it's a decent option. Just let air dry afterwards, no wiping contaminants in the paint, towel dry only after a proper hand wash.

So glad I moved out of the extreme snow belt areas.
      05-01-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ahh that makes sense, how often would you recommend I wax the car? every couple of washes?

also, any specific products that you guys have had a good experience with?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #5
JonnyM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Moderately Quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDBimmer View Post
Ahh that makes sense, how often would you recommend I wax the car? every couple of washes?

also, any specific products that you guys have had a good experience with?
If you're gonna wash it yourself on occasion I recommend these to avoid marring the paint

Pick up a 2 bucket and grit guard wash system
Glimour Foam gun
"Wookies fist" for a wash mitt
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GXR...BaL&ref=plSrch These microfibers to remove wax/sealants/coatings etc
Some decent, not too harsh soap (I use wolfgang auto bathe usually, or dodo juice soaps)
Buy a ceramic coating like CQuartz or Opticoat they'll last up to a year, and will protect better than traditional waxes and sealants
And to dry some waffle weave 70/30 microfibers

Id recommend checking out detailers domain or auto geek forum, both filled with knowledgable people, but beware...it turns into a sickness.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #6
VDBimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

I went today to give it a laser wash because it has been a while since we cleaned it and we really don't have much time this week to spend with the car and the funniest thing ever happened!
the car wash went out of service literarily one car before me hahahahah I was like THIS MUST BE A SIGN, turned the other way...
never ever getting it washed at a machine again I think that was my sign lol. I can officially say I never machine laser washed this car and I never will.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #7
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Don't do it... The water in these washes contain highly acidic chemicals and will strip away wax, sealant, or any other products you might be using and make your car mor vulnerable to marring and scratches. They'll also dry out your rubber seals, etc.

Here is a quote I found that describes it some...

Quote:
You are probably thinking that the Touchless or Touch-Free wash is the answer to your problem. Think again. Without the presence of brushes a Touch-Free system must use higher water pressure and stronger chemicals. The strong, acidic chemicals are highly concentrated and purchased in large quantities to reduce operating costs. These chemicals usually contain acids that will strip any road contaminants, grime, debris, and any protective paint coating. Most Touch-Free washes do not thoroughly clean the vehicle; they usually leave a layer of contaminants on the surface of the vehicle. The remaining contaminants are then blasted across the surface of the car with high-pressure water which can lead to more scratches. Then let’s assume that you made it through the wash without scratching or marring your vehicle’s surface. The final step is the drying process. Rarely is your vehicle completely dry when you leave the wash tunnel. Any water spots left on your vehicle may still contain some of those harsh chemicals and will eventually etch into your paint surface.
Appreciate 0