Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire bubble question..

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #1
rustynuttz1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 Jet Black

Exclamation Tire bubble question..

I've got a huge air bubble sticking out of my brand new E92 front right passenger tire with only 4k miles on it. I'm not very knowledgeable about tires, but can this air bubble be fixed, or do I need to replace my tire? Secondly, if I do replace my tire, considering that the Bridgestone's RFT are in the ball park of 300 dollars per tire, I was thinking about paying an extra 50 dollars or so and buying a pair of F1's to replace the front two tires ( the front right tire is the one with air bubble), would that be a good idea? That way I'm not tampering with balance or alignment? Or should I just replace the single tire? I'm confused..

Btw I've been looking into Vredestein Sessanta tires, I've read some threads and hear they're quite good tires, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Rusty
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #2
roy@gambitmotorsport
Something Else
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i coupe 6MT

Hi Rusty,

If I were you, I'd take it back to the dealer at low speed and not drive it anywhere else beforehand. To me, a bubble is a defect (not normal wear) and they should replace it for free. They should be happy you spotted it before people were injured.

If they give you any crap, I guess it's up to you whether you want to pursue something legal or just go buy your own tires. I've given up trying to work rationally with corporations and would just go buy my own at that point.

I wouldn't mix front and rear tire brands, especially between RFTs and non-RFTs. Even more so, I wouldn't do it with a single tire.

Found these on Vredestein:

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=194880

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322911

However, didn't find much else. If you try them, I'd be interested in hearing what you think. Sound okay by a few testimonies, but personally wouldn't jump at so little group feedback on tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
rustynuttz1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 Jet Black

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy@gambitmotorsport View Post
Hi Rusty,

If I were you, I'd take it back to the dealer at low speed and not drive it anywhere else beforehand. To me, a bubble is a defect (not normal wear) and they should replace it for free. They should be happy you spotted it before people were injured.

If they give you any crap, I guess it's up to you whether you want to pursue something legal or just go buy your own tires. I've given up trying to work rationally with corporations and would just go buy my own at that point.

I wouldn't mix front and rear tire brands, especially between RFTs and non-RFTs. Even more so, I wouldn't do it with a single tire.

Found these on Vredestein:

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=194880

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=322911

However, didn't find much else. If you try them, I'd be interested in hearing what you think. Sound okay by a few testimonies, but personally wouldn't jump at so little group feedback on tires.
Thanks for the advice, that's exactly what I'll do, I'm going to take it to the dealer, I bought mine from Beverly Hills BMW, hopefully, they live up to their name and take care of the matter, however, if they give me difficulty, I guess I'm better off replacing that single tire. I'll wait a little longer and do more research before I get into the Vredestein's, anyhow, thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #4
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
You should definitely take care of that tire ASAP. It needs to be replaced and cannot be fixed... and it poses a safety hazard as bubbled tires are much more prone to sudden failure.

I had a bubble on mine and took it to the dealer with 3k miles and they replaced it under warranty as good will. They may not typically warranty tires but the service manager can make it a warranty item if he/she deems it defective and is just a good guy/gal to work with.

Regardless, get it fixed one way or another as it's quite dangerous to have it like that.
      02-06-2008, 11:45 AM   #5
jrsbeamer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: below 1,500rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynuttz1 View Post
I've got a huge air bubble sticking out of my brand new E92 front right passenger tire with only 4k miles on it. I'm not very knowledgeable about tires, but can this air bubble be fixed, or do I need to replace my tire? Secondly, if I do replace my tire, considering that the Bridgestone's RFT are in the ball park of 300 dollars per tire, I was thinking about paying an extra 50 dollars or so and buying a pair of F1's to replace the front two tires ( the front right tire is the one with air bubble), would that be a good idea? That way I'm not tampering with balance or alignment? Or should I just replace the single tire? I'm confused..

Btw I've been looking into Vredestein Sessanta tires, I've read some threads and hear they're quite good tires, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Rusty

that sucks bro!! this is exactly what happened to me this weekend...

i found out saturday i had a big bubble on the outside wall of my front right tire(potenza rft's) so i took it in to the dealer and they didnt replace it for free!! they said thats not there problem.....

but luckly i have the tire insurance or warranty thing and i called to open a claim and luckly they did cover it....

also i think the potenza rft are one of the worst tires ive ever had!!!!
ive had to buy new ones 4 times in a time period of about 8 months!!!

thank god i bought the tire waranty!! [=

(i would swap tires but planning to get new set of wheels soon [=)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
battlehawk1025
battlehawk1025
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335XI 6mt, SL 65 , M6

i was cleaning my car yesterday evening and notice to bubble on my tire too. not just one tire but 2 on the right hand side of the car. i already replaced the 2 front ones about 2 months ago with non rft. not i'm not happy about having to replace 2 more or make life easyer all four. make a claim to dot they should remberce you. it's gonna take 90 days for me at least good luck
Appreciate 0