Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wall bumps, are these a flaw on the RFTs?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my feet.

Wall bumps, are these a flaw on the RFTs?

Need to change a tire, the 3rd in three months due to bumps in the outer walls. Is this a common issue with run flats? Is reverting to regular tires gonna make things easier rather than spending on a new tire monthly? The car is used twice a week so its not a daily driver. For those of you with knowledge in this field please comment. I thank you a lot!

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
R.I.P. 335i, 010 135i here!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 12:18 AM   #2
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've found out, so far, that the walls having the characteristic of holding up the weight tend to deform upon compression. Please confirm, all speculations!

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Out 32 View Post
I've found out, so far, that the walls having the characteristic of holding up the weight tend to deform upon compression. Please confirm, all speculations!
I don't believe that this is normal tire behavior. You should not be getting any side bumps on your tires even if you don't drive it very much. This is why I hate run flats, they are heavy, expensive, poor handling, and noisy.

NRFT>RFT
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Flat Out 32
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW MotorSport View Post
I don't believe that this is normal tire behavior. You should not be getting any side bumps on your tires even if you don't drive it very much. This is why I hate run flats, they are heavy, expensive, poor handling, and noisy.

NRFT>RFT
Thanks a lot for your input, so you think its better off running non RFTs? Is there an advantage or loss regarding wheel protection and tire protectioon against side bumps from potholes? I thank you once more!

Georgie Vazquez
Mayaguez, PR
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
turboso
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18imolaf80CP

same happend to my wife's car that sucks. Mine's probable that she drives with her eyes closed.lolol
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 06:01 PM   #6
de.abeja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 sedan

I had one on my passenger front tire, took it to the dealer and they shrugged and said idunno... so I took it to a firestone tire shop. The first shlep that helped me said it was my fault before I even told him the story, the manager listened and said that if there was no evidence on the inside of the tire from an impact or foreign object damage they would just warranty the tire (@ 9000miles).

I think the sidewall blisters are a defect or poorly manufactured tires just because I have heard from more than one member on here that they have also incurred mystery sidewall blisters.
Appreciate 0