THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Squeaky brakes

05-26-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Squeaky brakes

Is it normal for the brakes to be squeaking and squealing when not warmed up? I only figure it has something to do with temperature as it's more pronounced during winter, and disappears during/after 'spirited' driving. I have the M Sport brakes, if that's relevant.

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #2
Umster
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i coupe MT

I think it could be one of two issues. First, sometimes a fine film of rust can cover the rotors after it rains or it is very humid and you may need to apply the brakes a few times for it to clear, causing the noise. Second, I'm not sure, but if the M sport brakes come with a more aggressive pad, they certainly can squeal when they are cold. When they come up to operating temperature, the squeal goes away (happens to me when I'm at the track with aftermarket pads - that's why I change them to the stock ones before going home - too noisy).
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 05:19 PM   #3
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

I get it too but does go away after 10 mins. The msport brakes are definitely aggressive as hell
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Icy J
im a car
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 220i M Sport | 520i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 220i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umster View Post
I think it could be one of two issues. First, sometimes a fine film of rust can cover the rotors after it rains or it is very humid and you may need to apply the brakes a few times for it to clear, causing the noise. Second, I'm not sure, but if the M sport brakes come with a more aggressive pad, they certainly can squeal when they are cold. When they come up to operating temperature, the squeal goes away (happens to me when I'm at the track with aftermarket pads - that's why I change them to the stock ones before going home - too noisy).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
I get it too but does go away after 10 mins. The msport brakes are definitely aggressive as hell
Ah okay, thanks. Probably a combination of both TBH, annoying but guess it's normal lol

'14 220i M Sport | AW/CR | PUR Wheels RS07 19" | KW V1 | MTC Design F2X Kit [CF] | Stage 1 ECU Tune | Eventuri CF Intake | Manhart Race Exhaust/Resonator Delete | ER HFC Downpipe | F8X LCA + TS | M Style Grilles | Gloss Black Roof | Custom Steering Wheel | Autotecknic Competition Shift Paddles [YMB]
Instagram: @icyj95 | FB
Appreciate 0