Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter/Summer Switch tire selection advice

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-12-2008, 04:11 AM   #1
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Winter/Summer Switch tire selection advice

So I have been debating the past few days what to do about tires. I live in chicago, and its freezing out currently, but the temps are supposedly going to move into the mid 30's as the month progresses...

My car arrives in about a week, and my debate is the following:

I want to get the car and put M6 reps on it...preferably...but the m6 reps are going to be mounted with summer tires, so the only tires I think I could put on with temps this low would be the Generals, I had set my mind to getting the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, but it is too cold to put them on if I'm going to do it now.

I had hoped to skip putting winter tires on this season, as I would have to swap them out probably 4 weeks after putting them on, so I had bene hoping to delay this cost I guess/hassle right now

Question is:

Upon arrival should I install the M6 reps and order generals, and wait until next winter to get winter tires

or

Get winter tires now (dunlop wintersport 3d 235/18/40 around) and then in 4 weeks or so order the goodyears to put on my m6 reps when it gets warmer outside (4 weeks or more)

Can I get away with generals in temps around 35? Or am I going to seriously regret that...buying two sets of tires now, or one now, and one next winter

I'm lost

**EDIT: I am aware that the goodyears are better tires in general, this is more a question of immediate satisfaction **
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Payroll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i

I live in Chicago as well and I feel your pain with regard to the weather. If you're going to be getting winter tires for your stock rims anyway, I would recommend ordering them and having them fitted to your car before you pick it up. Question though: are 235's going to be wide enough for the stock rims in the rear?

I am also contemplating M6 reps right now, but I'm thinking of waiting since the weather is not so great and the potholes around here are huge, which gives me pause with 19's. I have had trouble finding winter tires for my stock 189's because I want with 255's in the rear, so I've been running the stock RFT summer tires since I only drive on the weekends.
      02-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Ive read that for winters on our car we can go either 225/40 or 235/40 all around and be fine...its so hard staring @ this set of wheels and not being able to mount them, I even keep a wheel in my bedroom, sick I know
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Chromander
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83 M4, G30 530e, 997.2TT

You folks must be as sick of the weather as I am lately here in Chicago.

I've been contemplating on whether I should trade my 325i for a 325xi. It's been a nitemare driving the 325i + sport package + summer tires around in the snow, ice, rain, sleet, slush, and potholes.

I know snow tires make a huge difference, but I've braved the last 1.5months without them to see how this car can handle with DTC. Boy am I disappointed, can someone elaborate how much of a real difference winter versus summer tires make? I can't imagine my 325i driving much better with winter tires in 6-10inches of slushyicesnow. I really don't want to trade up to a 325xi......Prove me wrong....

Thanks for your feedback!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Payroll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetstorm88 View Post
You folks must be as sick of the weather as I am lately here in Chicago.

I've been contemplating on whether I should trade my 325i for a 325xi. It's been a nitemare driving the 325i + sport package + summer tires around in the snow, ice, rain, sleet, slush, and potholes.

I know snow tires make a huge difference, but I've braved the last 1.5months without them to see how this car can handle with DTC. Boy am I disappointed, can someone elaborate how much of a real difference winter versus summer tires make? I can't imagine my 325i driving much better with winter tires in 6-10inches of slushyicesnow. I really don't want to trade up to a 325xi......Prove me wrong....

Thanks for your feedback!
Winter tires make a HUGE difference. Especially if you stick with a narrower tire. Also, if you want to drive through 6 - 10 inches of snow, you really should have a 4wd SUV. Living in the city where the roads are plowed regularly, I can't imagine you really need to worry about that. Rather, you have to worry about the monstrous holes in the earth that are made from plows.
      02-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Daya
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335 space gray/coral red

Garage List
2007 E92 335  [9.66]
get the wintersport 3d's now - I have had them all winter season and have had zero problems

i am running 235/40-18 all around on the stock 18's, many other people on here are running the same size as well and have been fine

with the crazy weather we have had this winter you do not want to risk it, get snow tires - you don't want to endanger your new $40k+ baby now, do you?

GIAC S2 | Brembo GT BBK 355/345 | BBS CH-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | AR Design: DP, S1 Oil Cooler, OCC | AMS FMIC | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Borla MP | KW V1 | Stett: CAI, CP | Forge DV | P3 Boost Gauge | Arkym: Front Lip, Rear Quad Diffuser | Vorsteiner CSL Trunk | LUX H8 | ModMyNav | MFD M3 Sideskirts | BMW M-Tech Front/Rear Bumpers, Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
Thello
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

Winter tires for sure. The F1's are great and worth the price of getting two sets of tires. You do not want to have F1's on while driving in temps below 40 degrees, regardless of snow. Once it snows, the F1's are worthless and scary. I would not want to compromise my cars performance by hedging on tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
So I have been debating the past few days what to do about tires. I live in chicago, and its freezing out currently, but the temps are supposedly going to move into the mid 30's as the month progresses...

My car arrives in about a week, and my debate is the following:

I want to get the car and put M6 reps on it...preferably...but the m6 reps are going to be mounted with summer tires, so the only tires I think I could put on with temps this low would be the Generals, I had set my mind to getting the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, but it is too cold to put them on if I'm going to do it now.

I had hoped to skip putting winter tires on this season, as I would have to swap them out probably 4 weeks after putting them on, so I had bene hoping to delay this cost I guess/hassle right now

Question is:

Upon arrival should I install the M6 reps and order generals, and wait until next winter to get winter tires

or

Get winter tires now (dunlop wintersport 3d 235/18/40 around) and then in 4 weeks or so order the goodyears to put on my m6 reps when it gets warmer outside (4 weeks or more)

Can I get away with generals in temps around 35? Or am I going to seriously regret that...buying two sets of tires now, or one now, and one next winter

I'm lost

**EDIT: I am aware that the goodyears are better tires in general, this is more a question of immediate satisfaction **
What wheels / tires did you order with your 335? Did you get the sports? If so, look into having the car delivered with snows mounted on the stock rims. Then order your summer tires in a couple months. When I run summer/winter tires, I usually give it to the end of march before I think about swapping back.

Something else to consider - if you're mostly driving on plowed roads, look into a good all-season that handles snow well for your "winter" tire. I'm running stock runfart all-seasons on my 335xi now, it does well enough in Cincinnati snow and slush.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'm in a similar position with my 335XI that arrives this week. I'm right on the cusp of winter / summer tires, so I figure I'll just buy the snows I want, mount them on my stock 18" sport wheels, and buy my summer package in a couple months. I just don't want to risk it.

The problem is the tires I want come in the stock specs for front (225 40 18) but they don't carry a 35 series tire for the rears...

According to BMW USA, the wheels come mounted with 255 35s on the rear. Are the 245 40s the right option? What should I do?

These are the tires I want
http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #10
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
So I have been talking to some local chicaoans who tell me that the Generals do fine in the cold weather as long as you are not planning on plowing through any serious snow..(I wont be driving my car on a snowy day the rest of this season..) But mostly, theres no guarantee the road will be dry? Should the generals really be alright for the next month or so when its 20 degrees out? Or should I just shell out the extra $ for two sets of tires now, and wait to mount my m6 reps until march sometime when it gets nicer out (despite the fact that I really want them on...now...)

Generals alright in the cold? Anyone else with some experience with these?

AWD ADDICT** As far as winter tire sizing goes, you should go either 225/40/18 all around or 235/40/18 all around
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #11
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I'm in a similar position with my 335XI that arrives this week. I'm right on the cusp of winter / summer tires, so I figure I'll just buy the snows I want, mount them on my stock 18" sport wheels, and buy my summer package in a couple months. I just don't want to risk it.

The problem is the tires I want come in the stock specs for front (225 40 18) but they don't carry a 35 series tire for the rears...

According to BMW USA, the wheels come mounted with 255 35s on the rear. Are the 245 40s the right option? What should I do?

These are the tires I want
http://www.nokiantires.com/en/tire_hakkarsi.aspx

+1 on putting winter tires on your stock and just having a seperate set of 19 inch wheels with summer tires. Those Nokians look really nice and promissing.
Quote:
So I have been talking to some local chicaoans who tell me that the Generals do fine in the cold weather as long as you are not planning on plowing through any serious snow..(I wont be driving my car on a snowy day the rest of this season..) But mostly, theres no guarantee the road will be dry? Should the generals really be alright for the next month or so when its 20 degrees out? Or should I just shell out the extra $ for two sets of tires now, and wait to mount my m6 reps until march sometime when it gets nicer out (despite the fact that I really want them on...now...)

Generals alright in the cold? Anyone else with some experience with these?

AWD ADDICT** As far as winter tire sizing goes, you should go either 225/40/18 all around or 235/40/18 all around
Vudoo, let me know when you're ready for the summer package.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks for the tip. Anyone else? I'd like a little consensus before I pull the trigger. Nokain only makes the Hakkas in 225 or 245, so I guess that means I'd need to run a pretty skinny tire on the rears. I'd rather run wider rubber than 225, but if the consensus is to not stagger these, then I guess I'm stuck with 225s all around.

Also, for anyone interested, I found a great price for Nokians at www.tires-easy.com Unfortunately, none of the E90 sponsors carry these.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
definitely do not stagger the wheels for the winter...skinny is good (in the winter)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
definitely do not stagger the wheels for the winter...skinny is good (in the winter)
problem is my stock wheels (which will be my winter wheels) are staggered, 8 front, 8.5 rear.

shouldn't I run a little wider like 245 rather than the same 225 as my 8" front wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #15
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Nope, for the winters running the same size around is what is recommended (at least here on the forum, and by my dealer who said they were fitting other peoples cars with the same without any issues)

That applies to the ZSP 18's that are staggered (or any that are staggered as well)

the difference in size is very minimal

today I also opted to get the General Exclaim's which should be at my door tomorrow! (bc gary is the man)

I figured that since I would not be trucking away in snow, but rather just dry pavement that is cold, the generals should be just fine, and in a few weeks(maybe a month at this rate..) itll warm up, and I will have saved myself 400 over getting a set of the goodyears, which although a better tire, since I dont go to the track, I feel the generals are more than fine. I'm not looking to set any street hotlap records...just have some fun

(plus this way I can get the v1 radar as well, and I think that would bring me more joy...since my solo s2 has seen better days)
Appreciate 0