THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Possible Fuel Priming Issue???

06-20-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
turbo159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

Possible Fuel Priming Issue???

Hi Guys,

I just got my m235i xDrive, and in less than 24 hours, I am freaking out about a strange sound that happened 3 times. After my car sat over night, in the morning I went to the car to put my laptop bag in the car, opened the door, and then a quite loud clacking sound was coming from the engine bay. It sounded like a pump that was running dry. It lasts about 30 seconds and then ends with a clunk sound near the back of the car. The dealer is now looking at it, but have not been able to recreate it. I recorded a video of it, and they said the haven't seen this before. My theory is that upon opening the driver door, comfort system starts to prime the fuel lines. In this instance the lines were dry or the pump in the engine bay was not getting fuel. I was able to repeat this 3 times in a row. When I left for work, it started instantly, so maybe it isn't the fuel lines. Has anyone experienced this? My dealer is going to try to recreate it again on Monday.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 04:24 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

where is the video?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

When the car senses the owner has arrived via the fob, opening the door, etc it makes all kind of noises.....one of them might be the fuel pump priming the system. All kinds of stuff starts happening.....look at it as saying good morning. Don't sweat it....you will get used to it and won't notice anymore

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
turbo159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i xDrive

If this was a soft whirling or buzzing sound, I wouldn't think anything of it. But to me it sounds like a pump running dry where damage could occur.

This is a link to the video where you can hear the sound. BMW didn't think it was normal, but so far they can't seem to replicate it. When I took the car to the dealer, it didn't do it after sitting all day. I don't know if this will be an intermittent thing or a one time event. Kind of kills the new car buying experience

From the front of the car:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=487BD3...-_3THI&o=OneUp

From the engine bay:

Last edited by turbo159; 06-20-2015 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

the sound of the car primming always reminds me the start of 3d pinball lol

https://www.youtube.com/v/NPLOG3nS3Q8?start=0&end=4

Last edited by pikcachu; 06-20-2015 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo159 View Post
If this was a soft whirling or buzzing sound, I wouldn't think anything of it. But to me it sounds like a pump running dry where damage could occur.

This is a link to the video where you can hear the sound. BMW didn't think it was normal, but so far they can't seem to replicate it. When I took the car to the dealer, it didn't do it after sitting all day. I don't know if this will be an intermittent thing or a one time event. Kind of kills the new car buying experience

From the front of the car:

From the engine bay:
Ya that's not normal.... sounds like a woodpecker inside the car
Appreciate 0