European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

07-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
apollo580
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2016 SO/SO

Production Number and VIN

I was hoping someone else is in my situation. I ordered a 2016 M4 in June with a July allocation and have been checking up with my dealer every week on any new updates. This Friday he said that the car just went into production (Being built). So my question is... Should I have a production number and a VIN? I want to try and track the car as it comes over here so trying to get as much info as possible. If I call BMW of Canada will they have any info on my car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo580 View Post
I was hoping someone else is in my situation. I ordered a 2016 M4 in June with a July allocation and have been checking up with my dealer every week on any new updates. This Friday he said that the car just went into production (Being built). So my question is... Should I have a production number and a VIN? I want to try and track the car as it comes over here so trying to get as much info as possible. If I call BMW of Canada will they have any info on my car?

Thanks!
You should've got production number when you ordered the car if they had allocation.

You need production number to track which only your CA can give you.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
mikex25
Major
Rep
Drives: Grey thing

If your car went into production you can call the 1800 831 1117 and they can provide you your vin number
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:19 AM   #4
Treeboy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '22 X4 M40i / '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
'24 X5 M60i  [0.00]
'22 X4 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!

The production week for my car was set to be week #28 (ordered on June 4 for July production). You should ask BMW Canada for the VIN, they should have it by now.

I received the production number from my dealer about a week after the order and used it when talking to BMW Canada. They said no VIN available about two weeks ago, but during the same phone call the CSR eventually found it and shared it with me. My understanding is that production week shows the week when the car is finished, not when the production starts.

Once you get the VIN, keep checking http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html, my car appeared there on the day the production was finished (July 8).

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeboy View Post
The production week for my car was set to be week #28 (ordered on June 4 for July production). You should ask BMW Canada for the VIN, they should have it by now.

I received the production number from my dealer about a week after the order and used it when talking to BMW Canada. They said no VIN available about two weeks ago, but during the same phone call the CSR eventually found it and shared it with me. My understanding is that production week shows the week when the car is finished, not when the production starts.

Once you get the VIN, keep checking http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html, my car appeared there on the day the production was finished (July 8).

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the wait.
Does anyone know how accurate the VIN checking website is? The options listed for my 2016 M3 VIN are correct for adaptive suspension and premium package but the options also listed include connected drive and realtime traffic information which I did not order.......
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
Does anyone know how accurate the VIN checking website is? The options listed for my 2016 M3 VIN are correct for adaptive suspension and premium package but the options also listed include connected drive and realtime traffic information which I did not order.......
http://www.bmwvin.com

Try this. I found this quite accurate.

Did you check your order sheet ( not only bill of sale)? Does that list that an option? It could be that the dealer selected that as an option. In any case if you're not paying for it and it ends up having it that's a good thing no?
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #7
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
Everything can be tracked by VIN. If it went in production a VIN number has been assigned to it. Call your dealer and ask for it.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #8
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

According to the 2016 BMW Canada M3 ordering guide there are apparently 6 components to the Connected Drive Package.

6AK BMW Online
6AM Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
6AN Concierge Services
6AP Remote Services
6AR Internet
7S9 BMW ConnectedDrive Services Package

I did not order the connected drive package and I went to bmwvin.com and looked at all the options with my VIN and 5 of the 6 components are listed (6AR Internet is not). I guess I will wait and see what shows up in my M3 when my car arrives in December. I decided not to order the connected drive package to keep my costs down but it would be a nice bonus to now have the real time traffic included :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 01:11 AM   #9
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
According to the 2016 BMW Canada M3 ordering guide there are apparently 6 components to the Connected Drive Package.

6AK BMW Online
6AM Advanced Real Time Traffic Information
6AN Concierge Services
6AP Remote Services
6AR Internet
7S9 BMW ConnectedDrive Services Package

I did not order the connected drive package and I went to bmwvin.com and looked at all the options with my VIN and 5 of the 6 components are listed (6AR Internet is not). I guess I will wait and see what shows up in my M3 when my car arrives in December. I decided not to order the connected drive package to keep my costs down but it would be a nice bonus to now have the real time traffic included :-)
Might me just me, but I still prefer google maps on my phone much more. So much easier to use. And that internet feels like I'm back on dial-up!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #10
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I agree google maps is free and great!

The GPS with traffic information will come in handy though in the M3 when I travel to the US because I won't incur roaming charges with my Galaxy S5 phone. If it is free I will take the traffic information with the M3 if it costs anything though I will pass on it.......
Appreciate 0