THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Looking for coil setup with best comfort / DD use

07-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Exclamation Looking for coil setup with best comfort / DD use

Okay, so here is the story on my M235 suspension:
- Installed Dinan springs on stock struts, front driver strut began to leak (damaged, and had it replaced)
- Back to OEM springs
- Installed HR springs on stock struts (better pro shop this time), and front driver strut is leaking again. I assumed damaged yet again by lowering (guess this corner just doesn't like it?).

So, my options as I see them:
- Replace the OEM strut, hope that this one finally works without leaking
- Replace the entire suspension with coils
- Go back to stock (not a fan of this option, too floaty)

After doing some research, I have narrowed my options to Bilstein or KW coils. However, I have also read that the Bilstein B14s are more track oriented (monotube) than the KW V1 setup (dual valve). Now, any setup I buy will require the EDC delete module, so I am not worried about that.

What I am looking for is experience / views on the rebound rates of Bilstein v. KW. I would like a comfortable DD, that is still tighter in corners than stock. I think both setups would meet these needs, but which is more comfortable daily? I only plan to track a few times a year and I think both are up to the task.

Thoughts or other options not considered?
      07-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Brickologic
Private
Rep
Drives: 1MCoupe M5

Hi,

invest a little more money and get you the adaptive KW DDC plug and play

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/pro...-coilover-kit/

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/ada...lay-coilovers/
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Why don't you just get some Koni yellow struts and shocks and keep the H&R Springs. You would have to adjust the struts to your liking and you would have to code out the EDC error. You wouldn't have to worry about them leaking as all the yellows have a lifetime rebuild warranty from Koni. They sell them at TireRack. Far less than the almost 5K for the KW DDC coils. Unless you like to let the car adjust all of it for you and you don't like money.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Why don't you just get some Koni yellow struts and shocks and keep the H&R Springs. You would have to adjust the struts to your liking and you would have to code out the EDC error. You wouldn't have to worry about them leaking as all the yellows have a lifetime rebuild warranty from Koni. They sell them at TireRack. Far less than the almost 5K for the KW DDC coils. Unless you like to let the car adjust all of it for you and you don't like money.
I did take a look at the Koni yellows, but they are about $800, only $80 less than the B14 Bilstein kit. However, I did not find anything in the descriptions mentioning that Koni rebound is adjustable. Link below as an example.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...taggered+Tires
      07-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Do you need that much adjustability? If you track your car a lot and are able to out drive your suspension then I would say yes. If not then I would say that the damping adjustment of the yellows would suit you until you can out drive them. If you need or want the height adjustability as well then yeah I would say go with the coils. Although the KW's have a nice warranty that plenty of my friends have used without issue. Just not on the Club Sports as they won't warranty race parts. So after reading the provided material description for the Bilsteins it seems that they are one way adjustable and just worded it so that you think they are rebound and damping adjustable. I'm not sure how you can adjust both independently without separate adjustment points.

Last edited by SteveInfante; 07-16-2015 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

So I did contact the shop to confirm that these are the adjustable Koni struts. I understand how the fronts have easy access, but not the rears. Do you know if the top of the rear strut has an access point while installed?

I don't necessarily need a rapid or easily adjustable strut, but it must have some adjustability as I move often and depending on how good the local roads are I need to be able to soften/stiffen the struts for daily driving comfort. I do track a few times a year, which is why I figured the ease of adjusting the PSS10 set would pay for itself over time.

As for Bilstein adjusting both dampening and rebound, my understanding is that the single dial does both since it is a monotube shock and not dual valved like KWs. I think the KW V3 are overkill and the DDC is for those who want to install and forget it (not tweak), plus both are nearly $1500 more than the PSS10s.
      07-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

The access point for the rears should be in the trunk where the top of the shock comes through. I'm not sure on the design for the 2 but in most cases that's the way or works. And the Koni's will give you more wheel/tire clearance in the rear due to the upside down design. The adjustments for the Koni's have been proven by lots of track rats to be more accurate than the Bilsteins. This is important because you don't want one side to be too far off the adjustment of the other.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
The access point for the rears should be in the trunk where the top of the shock comes through. I'm not sure on the design for the 2 but in most cases that's the way or works. And the Koni's will give you more wheel/tire clearance in the rear due to the upside down design. The adjustments for the Koni's have been proven by lots of track rats to be more accurate than the Bilsteins. This is important because you don't want one side to be too far off the adjustment of the other.
Thanks for the info and rapid feedback! I know have another option to consider.

New question: Since I already own the HR springs, won't the vehicle ride at the same height it is now or will the Koni's lift/drop it at all?
      07-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #9
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

It will ride the same height it is now but you won't have shock/strut breaking issues as the yellows are designed to be used with either stock or lowering springs.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

For what it is worth, I installed the V1's and did the wife test. She couldn't tell any difference in ride quality from stock.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
For what it is worth, I installed the V1's and did the wife test. She couldn't tell any difference in ride quality from stock.
Nice to know. At this point, the V1s are still more than the suggested Koni option. So here is what I see as options now.
- Koni Yellow Sports: $750
- Bilstein B14: $880
- KW V1: $1600
- Bilstein B16 PSS10: $2100

All of these do not include the EDC delete modules, but I am going to try to code out the EDC first before committing the extra $350.
      07-20-2015, 01:22 AM   #12
s1uma1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_KW automotive Germany View Post
Hi,

invest a little more money and get you the adaptive KW DDC plug and play

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/pro...-coilover-kit/

http://blog-int.kwautomotive.net/ada...lay-coilovers/
Interesting. I've contacted a local dealer and they told me no such setup where original bmw edc is retained... Was told have to get a separate module w edc delete. So is this above referenced set up truly plug and play? No additional computer ecu necessary?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #13
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

I don't think you can compare the Koni vs KW.
I had HR + Koni before and it was extremely stiff and harsh ride. Feels like I ran over a curb with a slightest uneven surfaces/ hole on the road.

However, it is complete difference experience with the KW V3 I have. Now, I am speaking from V3 point of view where dampening is adjustable but the response on turns is relatively the same. The car responds quickly on turns and barely feel any rolls. I drive 2 hour round trip everyday to work and the car is still just as comfortable as a stock f30. It is probably because I have the coils set on medium stiffness but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on how much I enjoyed my KW
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #14
cbbplanet
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: space shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1uma1 View Post
Interesting. I've contacted a local dealer and they told me no such setup where original bmw edc is retained... Was told have to get a separate module w edc delete. So is this above referenced set up truly plug and play? No additional computer ecu necessary?
Which dealer did you spoke to? PM me and I can refer you to the shop I went to who installed my KW V3 for me. I have my installation thread here:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009346
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #15
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbplanet View Post
I don't think you can compare the Koni vs KW.
I had HR + Koni before and it was extremely stiff and harsh ride. Feels like I ran over a curb with a slightest uneven surfaces/ hole on the road.

However, it is complete difference experience with the KW V3 I have. Now, I am speaking from V3 point of view where dampening is adjustable but the response on turns is relatively the same. The car responds quickly on turns and barely feel any rolls. I drive 2 hour round trip everyday to work and the car is still just as comfortable as a stock f30. It is probably because I have the coils set on medium stiffness but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents on how much I enjoyed my KW
I still may just wait and get the V3's or the coils that GSR is using on their race car. Thanks for the input. This was very helpful.
Appreciate 0