F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Vinyl wrapping trial and failure. Any ideas?
Studio RSR

08-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #1
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Vinyl wrapping trial and failure. Any ideas?

So I wanted to vinyl wrap my roof in gloss black, and in an effort to save money, I considered DIY over taking it to a shop. Seeing as how I have no experience in vinyl wrapping, I decided to buy a small roll (3M 1080 series gloss black, 5ft x 1ft) and test out my skills on the mirror caps. Pulling those suckers off was hard enough, but that's another story.

Wrapping the front part of the caps was pretty easy, which made me feel really good about the project. Then I got to top and side curved parts of the caps, and that confidence was immediately decimated. Needless to say, my mirror caps are still Alpine White, and I'll be getting estimates to wrap the roof/rails, fin, and mirror caps.

I have a few feet of wrap left, and I'm wondering what else I could possibly use it on. I was thinking about doing the interior trim, but I'm not sure that would be a good alternative to OEM gloss black interior trim. Has anyone else done that and maybe have some pics? Also, thinking about using it on the exterior B pillar trim. Anyone else have some other ideas?
      08-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
So I wanted to vinyl wrap my roof in gloss black, and in an effort to save money, I considered DIY over taking it to a shop. Seeing as how I have no experience in vinyl wrapping, I decided to buy a small roll (3M 1080 series gloss black, 5ft x 1ft) and test out my skills on the mirror caps. Pulling those suckers off was hard enough, but that's another story.

Wrapping the front part of the caps was pretty easy, which made me feel really good about the project. Then I got to top and side curved parts of the caps, and that confidence was immediately decimated. Needless to say, my mirror caps are still Alpine White, and I'll be getting estimates to wrap the roof/rails, fin, and mirror caps.

I have a few feet of wrap left, and I'm wondering what else I could possibly use it on. I was thinking about doing the interior trim, but I'm not sure that would be a good alternative to OEM gloss black interior trim. Has anyone else done that and maybe have some pics? Also, thinking about using it on the exterior B pillar trim. Anyone else have some other ideas?
Were you using a heat gun? I tried vinyl wrapping for the first time ever several months ago and had no problems when using a heat gun. That stuff will stretch and fit onto any rounded corner or edge with a few seconds of heat applied to it.

If you're not using heat, it'll always want to crease when you get near a rounded area. A few seconds of heat will also make removal go extremely quick.

If you're wrapping the entire roof, you'll want a 5x5 piece of black 1080 vinyl. Use masking tape to position it, and cut a slit for the shark fin antenna on the roof. You'll want to then remove 6 inches of the paper backing, and cut it with a knife or scissors. Apply some heat in a small area, and use a felt tipped squeegee to apply the vinyl removing all air bubbles and creases. Once that whole 6 inch segment is done, you can remove more of the paper backing and repeat until the whole roof if covered.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarScaryFrosty View Post
Were you using a heat gun? I tried vinyl wrapping for the first time ever several months ago and had no problems when using a heat gun. That stuff will stretch and fit onto any rounded corner or edge with a few seconds of heat applied to it.

If you're not using heat, it'll always want to crease when you get near a rounded area. A few seconds of heat will also make removal go extremely quick.

If you're wrapping the entire roof, you'll want a 5x5 piece of black 1080 vinyl. Use masking tape to position it, and cut a slit for the shark fin antenna on the roof. You'll want to then remove 6 inches of the paper backing, and cut it with a knife or scissors. Apply some heat in a small area, and use a felt tipped squeegee to apply the vinyl removing all air bubbles and creases. Once that whole 6 inch segment is done, you can remove more of the paper backing and repeat until the whole roof if covered.

I don't have a heat gun, so I used a blow dryer, but I guess I didn't know how to maneuver the vinyl under heat, it still wanted to crease on the corners and curves. I would imagine the roof should be easier (but more time-consuming) than the mirror caps, since the roof doesn't really have any deep curves, with the exception of the fin. I may decide to order a larger sheet and attempt that myself. Thanks for the tips!
      08-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #4
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
I don't have a heat gun, so I used a blow dryer, but I guess I didn't know how to maneuver the vinyl under heat, it still wanted to crease on the corners and curves. I would imagine the roof should be easier (but more time-consuming) than the mirror caps, since the roof doesn't really have any deep curves, with the exception of the fin. I may decide to order a larger sheet and attempt that myself. Thanks for the tips!
Go to harbor freight and pick up their cheap heatgun, I was able to get it for $12 earlier this year on sale. It has 2 settings, 500 degrees, or 1000 degrees. I always use the 500 degrees setting and I haven't had issues. A heat gun is literally a hair dryer that just runs 10x hotter.

Just remember this will be something you turn on and off constantly. Don't hit one area with the heatgun for too long or else you can burn the vinyl. Move in a left/right pattern over a specific area for just a few seconds.

I would not recommend placing the heat gun ontop of your car's roof between uses. The metal tip can get extremely hot and could damage any vinyl or painted surfaces if it comes in direct contact and just sits there. Get another ladder or tall stand to set the heatgun on when you're working the vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #5
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
You definitely need a heat gun for Vinyl wrapping and you need to take your time. I recently wrapped my kidney grilles.. took about 1.5 hours each because I had to ensure I wasn't warping the brushed aluminum pattern as I wrapped it and there are a lot of contours I had to stretch a flat piece of vinyl around.

When applying the heat (gradually and from a distance), you need to stretch it just enough so it contours to the area and don't be afraid to lift the vinyl when needed, it won't ruin the adhesive. But don't lift the vinyl if it's still hot/warm, you'll stretch it too much and you'll get extra material in the area which you don't want. As you do more of it, the more comfortable you'll get with it so buy extra material just in case you make a mistake.

Here's how my grilles came out, really happy with em. Happy modding and good luck!
Name:  DrifterX_Vinyl_Wrap_Kidney_Grilles.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  204.0 KB

Last edited by DrifterX; 08-03-2015 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: More advice :)
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #6
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
You definitely need a heat gun for Vinyl wrapping and you need to take your time. I recently wrapped my kidney grilles.. took about 1.5 hours each because I had to ensure I wasn't warping the brushed aluminum pattern as I wrapped it and there are a lot of contours I had to stretch a flat piece of vinyl around.

When applying the heat (gradually and from a distance), you need to stretch it just enough so it contours to the area and don't be afraid to lift the vinyl when needed, it won't ruin the adhesive. But don't lift the vinyl if it's still hot/warm, you'll stretch it too much and you'll get extra material in the area which you don't want. As you do more of it, the more comfortable you'll get with it so buy extra material just in case you make a mistake.

Here's how my grilles came out, really happy with em. Happy modding and good luck!
Attachment 1256032

Wow, that looks awesome! Kudos to you for doing that project. I'm considering blacking out the kidney grilles also, but I've found some inexpensive replicas on eBay that I would go with. I wouldn't yet have the patience or skills to wrap the kidneys, especially with all the slats. But I can see why you chose to do it yourself, that's a pretty unique color combo!
      08-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
znolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F36 435i

I am about to wrap my mirrors and have studied several online videos of this process. Many recommend pre-stretching the vinyl before applying it to the mirror housings, which is what I intend to do.

One thing you can teach me, though, is how to get the mirror shells off.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by znolo View Post
I am about to wrap my mirrors and have studied several online videos of this process. Many recommend pre-stretching the vinyl before applying it to the mirror housings, which is what I intend to do.

One thing you can teach me, though, is how to get the mirror shells off.

That was the hardest part for me until I learned an easier way. Damn near ripped my fingernails off, lol. According to some instructions I read elsewhere, they say to grip the caps and pull straight back and they'll pop off, but I just don't see how this is possible without breaking the tabs...

What I did was remove the mirrors first. I pushed the top half of the mirror in and wedged a plastic pry under the bottom of the mirror and carefully pulled it out until I could get my fingers underneath to pull it out. It took some effort, I was afraid I might break the mirrors, but after a while they finally popped off. I didn't unplug them, just rested them on the window sill with the window rolled down. Once, the mirrors are off, you can see the 3 tabs that you have to pinch to release them. Once you've pinched them, you can then start to tug on the mirror caps straight back and pop them off. Also took a bit of effort and kinda sounded like the tabs broke off, but they were still intact.

Also, I had watched some general videos on wrapping, but I didn't watch any specifically for the mirrors, but I think I found a couple, so I'll probably watch them after work and see if they'll help me better understand that project.
      08-04-2015, 07:21 AM   #9
znolo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F36 435i

Thanks for the removal tip, gpjustinn.

I plan to wrap the mirror shells today and will let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #10
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I've wrapped many things over the years and patience is key. Most vinyl is super easy to work with, is very hard to mess up or ruin and can be pulled off and reapplied with ease if it doesn't lay down perfect the first time.

Also, IMHO, heat gun is overkill for small jobs like interior or even the roof. Just get's too hot and can be annoying. I have used heat gun in some cases but I prefer hair drier as it's really safe, don't have to worry about where you put it down and where you touch it etc...

Here is my interior wrap thread.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=997494
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #11
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
I've wrapped many things over the years and patience is key. Most vinyl is super easy to work with, is very hard to mess up or ruin and can be pulled off and reapplied with ease if it doesn't lay down perfect the first time.

Also, IMHO, heat gun is overkill for small jobs like interior or even the roof. Just get's too hot and can be annoying. I have used heat gun in some cases but I prefer hair drier as it's really safe, don't have to worry about where you put it down and where you touch it etc...

Here is my interior wrap thread.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=997494

Awesome, nice job on the interior, looks great!
      08-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, that looks awesome! Kudos to you for doing that project. I'm considering blacking out the kidney grilles also, but I've found some inexpensive replicas on eBay that I would go with. I wouldn't yet have the patience or skills to wrap the kidneys, especially with all the slats. But I can see why you chose to do it yourself, that's a pretty unique color combo!
Thanks! I think it looks better in person, pictures don't capture how nice it looks IMO.

The slats actually separate from the "border" of the grilles (I think most of the BMW grilles are two piece) so it wasn't as bad as you think. I didn't wrap the slats because I wanted the gloss contrast with the black brushed aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #13
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
[/url]
I disagree because you need that heat to ensure the adhesive spreads evenly and settles in the form of the object after you've completed the job. You need to evenly heat the entire area you wrapped so that it's fairly hot to the touch.

Also, vinyl shrinks a bit in heat so this also ensures you don't get any unexpected shrinking in the future which can potentially cause lifting edges.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #14
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! I think it looks better in person, pictures don't capture how nice it looks IMO.

The slats actually separate from the "border" of the grilles (I think most of the BMW grilles are two piece) so it wasn't as bad as you think. I didn't wrap the slats because I wanted the gloss contrast with the black brushed aluminum.

Oh, I didn't know they came apart! But then again, I have the base model, so the grilles are a bit different from yours, they're not as pronounced. To me it looks like they are all one piece, but I could be wrong. I'll have to look into that!
      08-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I disagree because you need that heat to ensure the adhesive spreads evenly and settles in the form of the object after you've completed the job. You need to evenly heat the entire area you wrapped so that it's fairly hot to the touch.

Also, vinyl shrinks a bit in heat so this also ensures you don't get any unexpected shrinking in the future which can potentially cause lifting edges.
Whoa, you totally missed my point. You don't need 500* to soften up vinyl. A hair drier does just fine. No risk of melting but gets the material soft enough that you can wrap any corners and the vinyl will stay.

You 100% need some source of heat to do a proper vinyl wrap. If I am wrapping an entire car I'd probably use a heat gun. Wrapping small pieces, especially interior = absolutely no need for a heat gun. Wait till you put a hot heat gun down on your carpet, interior piece or your lap. Those are things you don't have to worry about with a hair dryer.

I guess I look at it this way, it's kinda like using a chain saw to whittle a toothpick. Sure it can be done but at what risk?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #16
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whoa, you totally missed my point. You don't need 500* to soften up vinyl. A hair drier does just fine. No risk of melting but gets the material soft enough that you can wrap any corners and the vinyl will stay.
I see your point, small pieces probably don't need it. Roof will definitely will need it in my opinion. Less time will be wasted with a heat gun because you can instantly heat large areas when needed and by the time you apply the vinyl it will still be warm to form it. Unless you have a friend, you won't have a spare hand heating the material very often
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #17
n55x3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I see your point, small pieces probably don't need it. Roof will definitely will need it in my opinion. Less time will be wasted with a heat gun because you can instantly heat large areas when needed and by the time you apply the vinyl it will still be warm to form it. Unless you have a friend, you won't have a spare hand heating the material very often
Agreed, that definitely makes sense too.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #18
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

If someone interested in: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1#post18386441

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0