THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA New Diffuser, which exhaust

08-12-2015, 03:43 AM   #1
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

New Diffuser, which exhaust

I have just purchased an M Perf Rear Diffuser for my M235i
Now I am debating whether to add the M Perf Exhaust
I really like the original black chrome tips

Can anybody advise me if I can use the original black chrome tips with the original exhaust if I add the exhaust tip adapters
and/or
Can I use the original black chrome tips if I install the M Perf exhaust

The following info I found on getbmwparts.com
**Vehicles with standard exhaust require exhaust tip adapters and new stainless exhaust tips or carbon fiber tips - we've bundled these together into the exhaust adapter kits in our dropdown menu. ***Vehicles with M Performance Exhaust require the diffusor only

I would also like opinions if the MPE is worth getting. I assume it only makes the exhaust louder without any increases in performance

thanks in advance for any feedback
      08-12-2015, 04:10 AM   #2
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
You can reuse the black tips on the MPE, not sure about the exhaust adapters for the stock exhaust tho.

I'm actually currently shopping for the MPE without the MP diffuser, maybe we can buy two and save on the cost for shipping?

Unfortunately the MP Exhaust does not meet the ADR, hence BMW Aus can't order the exhaust, so we are left with the alternative to shop abroad for it. Only the new F8X M exhausts have been approved.

I've enquired to many BMWs in America about it and they don't want to ship it to us
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 05:15 AM   #3
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

You would need the adapters as the 2 stock pipes will be too short for the M diffuser. That is, without the adapters, your tips would be recessed into the M diffuser. I'm sure custom shops could do one for you.

The cutout in the M diffuser is bigger than the stock diffuser. If you use the stock black chrome tips and stock exhaust (with adapter/extender), your stock tip would not fill up the cutout, it would look small and weird. Vendors like Cyba are selling bigger black chrome tips on Bimmerpost. Pm me if you would like the Cyba quote for shipped price to Sydney.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
You would need the adapters as the 2 stock pipes will be too short for the M diffuser. That is, without the adapters, your tips would be recessed into the M diffuser. I'm sure custom shops could do one for you.

The cutout in the M diffuser is bigger than the stock diffuser. If you use the stock black chrome tips and stock exhaust (with adapter/extender), your stock tip would not fill up the cutout, it would look small and weird. Vendors like Cyba are selling bigger black chrome tips on Bimmerpost. Pm me if you would like the Cyba quote for shipped price to Sydney.
Maybe I just get the MPE as tips are included and I assume they are larger than the original...can anyone confirm this?
      08-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

The M chrome and CF tips are definitely larger in diameter than stock tips
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I still think the m performance exhaust is way too expensive for what it is (an axel back exhaust). For the same price you can get a cat-back exhaust. Or go to any exhaust shop and you can save over $1000 for the same thing.

It depends how lazy you are... I didn't want to import one myself as I'd have to pay extra taxes, find an install place.

So I got quoted $2485+GST for m performance exhaust (with chrome tips) plus installation. Milltek cost me $2475+GST. I also got quoted $3000+GST for a supersprint one. And my mate took his M135i to hi-tech mufflers in Darlinghurst, did a resonator delete, new custom made muffler (twice he didn't like the sound of the first one at no extra cost) for $1000.

I've listened to all 3, a full cat-back exhaust has a slight edge with a crisper sound, while the custom made axel back with resonator delete is a close 2nd while the m performance one is the quietest!

So I'm still baffled at why people want to get the m performance exhaust! Just for the brand? It's overpriced and not worth the money!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #7
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
I still think the m performance exhaust is way too expensive for what it is (an axel back exhaust). For the same price you can get a cat-back exhaust. Or go to any exhaust shop and you can save over $1000 for the same thing.

It depends how lazy you are... I didn't want to import one myself as I'd have to pay extra taxes, find an install place.

So I got quoted $2485+GST for m performance exhaust (with chrome tips) plus installation. Milltek cost me $2475+GST. I also got quoted $3000+GST for a supersprint one. And my mate took his M135i to hi-tech mufflers in Darlinghurst, did a resonator delete, new custom made muffler (twice he didn't like the sound of the first one at no extra cost) for $1000.

I've listened to all 3, a full cat-back exhaust has a slight edge with a crisper sound, while the custom made axel back with resonator delete is a close 2nd while the m performance one is the quietest!

So I'm still baffled at why people want to get the m performance exhaust! Just for the brand? It's overpriced and not worth the money!
I would extend further by saying that unless you're buying an exhaust (whatever kind) to impress onlookers and/or other drivers, IMO there's little aural reason to change the stock exhaust unless ASD is off.

From a driver's perspective within the cabin (with windows up or down), the muffled/insulated engine induction and exhaust notes are corrupted by ASD. To get BBYB from any new exhaust and it's combo with whatever little engine induction notes, ASD needs to be coded off.

I have seen and heard an hitech mufflers' custom job on a 235 (with ER DP) and whilst it's louder than stock externally, it sounded too much like a custom job on a rex or evo. It just didn't sound refined like most of the established brands.... but then, to each his own.

For these reasons, I still run my stock exhaust with M diffuser and tips until Akra releases one for 235... which is probably never

ps: Den, you need to come down to Advan on 29 August!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #8
Knightelf
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Are you after performance (if so, just add tip extenders and throw on a sports cat or catless DP instead) or sound? Also, do you have a budget in mind?

There's no reason to buy an axle back exhaust (like the MPE) except to make it sound more aggressive. The tiny amount of performance gains is not worth the coin. For me the stock exhaust was too quiet and I didn't want to mess with the downpipe (yet).

Build thread: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1149793
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 03:26 AM   #9
den525
Captain
Rep

I kinda agree kinda disagree with the sound part. I think an aftermarket exhaust mates well with the asd... Plus I think it's a good thing sound is well insulated within the cabin. Previous generation bmw all drone like nothing else with an aftermarket exhaust.

As for "performance gains" people don't get a catback or axle back for gains. It's 95% for sound. Sound makes the car feel faster tho lol

Ps I'm busy on the 29th or else i would go with my mates 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post
Are you after performance (if so, just add tip extenders and throw on a sports cat or catless DP instead) or sound? Also, do you have a budget in mind?

There's no reason to buy an axle back exhaust (like the MPE) except to make it sound more aggressive. The tiny amount of performance gains is not worth the coin. For me the stock exhaust was too quiet and I didn't want to mess with the downpipe (yet).
I got a quote for the MPE of $1713.50 + GST and the chrome tips $180 + GST
Are you saying I should give the MPE a miss and just get an Evolution Racewerks (ER) 4″ Downpipe. That way I get increased performance and a louder exhaust? As for budget around 2K is what Im thinking
      08-13-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightelf View Post

I got a quote for the MPE of $1713.50 + GST and the chrome tips $180 + GST
Are you saying I should give the MPE a miss and just get an Evolution Racewerks (ER) 4″ Downpipe. That way I get increased performance and a louder exhaust? As for budget around 2K is what Im thinking
Think the question is 1) do you want performance gain? Or 2) do you want a better sounding car?

Downpipe = better performance slightly better sound but stock resonators and muffler won't have the same affect. Plus drone.

Axle back exhaust = enhanced sound no performance gain at all

Catback exhaust = even better sound and slight performance gain

The problem with DP is you'll need to tune the car or else you'll get warning lights.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

I couldn't wait to put the diffuser on, now I definitely have to get larger exhaust tips as they are too short and too small in diameter
Still unsure which way to go. Not happy to spend so much money just for a louder sound without performance
Might just visit an exhaust shop tomorrow and see what they suggest

08-15-2015, 02:20 AM   #13
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbit View Post
I couldn't wait to put the diffuser on, now I definitely have to get larger exhaust tips as they are too short and too small in diameter
Still unsure which way to go. Not happy to spend so much money just for a louder sound without performance

Diffuser looks great!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 02:35 AM   #14
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:

Looks good.
Have you considered BCS Powervalve exhausts? http://www.powervalve.co.uk/products...ies/m235i.html

I have had milltek and was underwhelmed and have ordered the BCS which has received good reviews from the Brits.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2015, 04:12 AM   #15
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
Looks good.
Have you considered BCS Powervalve exhausts? http://www.powervalve.co.uk/products...ies/m235i.html

I have had milltek and was underwhelmed and have ordered the BCS which has received good reviews from the Brits.
Thanks minijet, no never heard of them , my journey into exhausts has only just started, please let me know how you find the Powervalve exhaust once you have fitted it
      08-24-2015, 04:29 PM   #16
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Ive decided to go with the cheapest option for now and just ordered the BMW M Performance Exhaust Pipe Finisher Adapters, part number 18302287042.

I will just use the original black chrome exhausts. These adapters should now allow the tips to extend out of the diffuser at the correct length

Last edited by webbit; 09-10-2015 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2015, 07:36 AM   #17
WasabiJim
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black M235i

before and after shots when you can please
      08-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #18
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasabiJim
before and after shots when you can please
Sure ... Will do
      08-30-2015, 02:58 AM   #19
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

On Friday I was in Melbourne so I bit the bullet and had SouthernBM install the MPE
Problem solved
Will post some pics when I get back home

Last edited by webbit; 09-10-2015 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: image added
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 05:03 AM   #20
bowjol
Rep

Quote:
Ive decided to go with the cheapest option for now and just ordered the BMW M Performance Exhaust Pipe Finisher Adapters, part number 18302287042.

I will just use the original black chrome exhausts. These adapters should now allow the tips to extend out of the diffuser at the correct length

I also need pipe finisher adapters, just want to know how many pipe do you get in 1 part number (18302287042)? Single or 1 pair?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 05:42 AM   #21
webbit
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowjol
Quote:

I also need pipe finisher adapters, just want to know how many pipe do you get in 1 part number (18302287042)? Single or 1 pair?
It's the same part number for both sides so you will need to order x 2

See https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462 for info on the diffuser

Genuine BMW F22/23 2 Series M Performance Rear Diffusor. *Requires M Sport Rear Bumper. This rear diffuser has been designed to perfectly fit 2 Series vehicles with the M Sport Line. Produced using a PUR-RIM (Polyurethane Reaction Injected Molding), a process that makes it both strong and lightweight. The diffuser comes in a black matte finish and can be painted if desired. **Vehicles with standard exhaust require exhaust tip adapters and new stainless exhaust tips or carbon fiber tips - we've bundled these together into the exhaust adapter kits in our dropdown menu. ***Vehicles with M Performance Exhaust require the diffusor only.
      09-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #22
bowjol
Rep

Quote:
It's the same part number for both sides so you will need to order x 2

See https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462 for info on the diffuser

Genuine BMW F22/23 2 Series M Performance Rear Diffusor. *Requires M Sport Rear Bumper. This rear diffuser has been designed to perfectly fit 2 Series vehicles with the M Sport Line. Produced using a PUR-RIM (Polyurethane Reaction Injected Molding), a process that makes it both strong and lightweight. The diffuser comes in a black matte finish and can be painted if desired. **Vehicles with standard exhaust require exhaust tip adapters and new stainless exhaust tips or carbon fiber tips - we've bundled these together into the exhaust adapter kits in our dropdown menu. ***Vehicles with M Performance Exhaust require the diffusor only.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0