THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Best Fuel Injector Cleaner

09-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #1
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Best Fuel Injector Cleaner

I haven't done it yet, but plan to get a cleaner when I hit 5k miles. With my previous 540i, I used Redline S1 and it worked great. It's been many years now and I checked what's the best fuel cleaner now and there are few great ones. Check out the link below and see if you used any of the top contenders and share your thoughts. Thanks! 1L

http://fuelinjectorcleaner.reviews/
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

From R&T

To properly care for a GDI engine use a high quality gasoline and pay attention to how your vehicle performs. When either acceleration or engine response
slows, use a complete fuel system cleaner such as Gumout® Regane® or Gumout® All-in-One Complete Fuel System Cleaner. These have the proper
detergent chemistry and quantity to clean deposits on both the direct injector and the surrounding combustion chamber. Ordinary fuel injector cleaners will
not work on these deposits because they are designed only to clean the softer deposits found in intake ports, not the hard carbon in the combustion
chamber.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
I've always used straight up techron. Been using this for years ever since I discovered Audi service used it for their scheduled maintenance. I don't know if they still are. Perhaps they now have their own labeled cleaner like BMW does.
      09-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

Has anyone use BG44K? I heard it's good stuff online but haven't heard directly from a customer.
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LegitM235i View Post
Has anyone use BG44K? I heard it's good stuff online but haven't heard directly from a customer.
all your looking for is PEA, gumout is the cheapest and highest concentration. If you want to pay more for another name that's fine. Just make sure it has pea. consumer reports a few years back tested them all and found gum out to be the highest concentration. PEA is the only thing that cleans GDI engines.

PEA is a polymeric molecule that contains portions that are more polar (the heads) that attach to the deposit particles along with a fuel soluble hydrocarbon tail. The molecule can then pull the deposit particle from the surface into the bulk fuel droplet where it is further combusted and/or blown out with the exhaust.

PEA is good at cleaning intake valve deposits (IVD) in port fuel injected engines because the treated fuel is sprayed directly onto the intake valve. However, direct injectors spray directly into the combustion chamber missing the valves. In some engines there is enough misting onto the valves when they are open to provide some cleaning, but in many engines the spray never reaches the IVD. In general we recommend an induction cleaning to take care of these deposits. Induction cleaning can also remove deposits formed in the intake manifold area that result from the crankcase ventilation system or other fugitive emissions.

Product performance is supported through a series of industry recognized ASTM laboratory bench and engine tests such as D6201 Engine Test, D665B Rust Prevention Test, D525 fuel stability test, just to name a few.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

I have used both Gumout and Techron. I actually had a friend bring techron cleaner from the states so i can try. I don't know if the additive is working or if its only for a peace of mind, but honestly I can never feel a difference. For Gumout, i only use the high mileage due to higher PEA content but can never tell a difference. Maybe a tiny bit smoother in acceleration but thats all. anyone feel the same here?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

My local Mercedes Benz dealership and the locAL Volvo dealership use Techtron routinely for injector cleaning but more important preventing carbon buildup on the valves. The older models anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 03:20 AM   #8
NolaM235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

BG44K is the real deal. I have used BG products for years, toured the factory, and labs in Wichita. Their products, while not inexpensive, work as advertised. They also happen to have an unbelievable warranty behind their product.

Truth is that most fuel system cleaners do nothing more than cleaning the parts they are immediately exposed to. 44K works for several miles by blending into the fuel and regulating to clean for an extended period.
      12-17-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD1953 View Post
My local Mercedes Benz dealership and the locAL Volvo dealership use Techtron routinely for injector cleaning but more important preventing carbon buildup on the valves. The older models anyway.
Likely those are models without direct injection. Sadly, cleaners don't do a thing for the intake valves on the direct injected engines in the 228i and M235i.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0