E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > YRP Paralegal Recommendations?

10-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
ASPEC135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: sideways always

YRP Paralegal Recommendations?

YRP region - got a speeding ticket on Hwy 7 and Bayview - 89 in a 60 zone (shouldve known - speed trap)

More specifically Newmarket court location.

Does anyone know of or have dealth with any competent / "well-connected" paralegals that they could recommend?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASPEC135i View Post
YRP region - got a speeding ticket on Hwy 7 and Bayview - 89 in a 60 zone (shouldve known - speed trap)

More specifically Newmarket court location.

Does anyone know of or have dealth with any competent / "well-connected" paralegals that they could recommend?

Thank you!
Are you sure your not going to High tech court? (Richmond hill) usually Newmarket (some of king) and north goes to Tannery court (Newmarket)

Anyhoo pm me

B
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

^you're** (sorry had to)

ASPEC135i, unless the lawyer can guarantee 100% no fine then go ahead with their services.

If they can't then you will be able to get the same result if you go to court yourself.

File for disclosure of evidence and make a special request for:
1. Officer's training records on the radar equipment used.
2. Calibration records for the radar equipment used.
3. Officers notes
4. Audio and Video file on dvd (if any was taken, York region is now equipped with audio/video on most of their cars)

If you fail to receive disclosure of evidence it is grounds for dismissal of the charge. If any calibration or training dates are over due, it is grounds for dismissal of the charge.
If you receive it late, which is very common, you have the right to ask for an adjournment due to the lack of time for you to review all the evidence and prepare for court.

Adjournment is good, because they group that officer's speeding tickets on one day, as they don't want him coming back for ONE ticket. With that said, it is likely he may not show for the second time.

Good luck!

Last edited by Wolf 335; 10-05-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
^you're** (sorry had to)

ASPEC135i, unless the lawyer can guarantee 100% no fine then go ahead with their services.

If they can't then you will be able to get the same result if you go to court yourself.

3. Officers notes
4. Audio and Video file on dvd (if any was taken, York region is now equipped with audio/video on most of their cars)

If you fail to receive disclosure of evidence it is grounds for dismissal of the charge. If any calibration or training dates are over due, it is grounds for dismissal of the charge.
If you receive it late, which is very common, you have the right to ask for an adjournment due to the lack of time for you to review all the evidence and prepare for court.

Adjournment is good, because they group that officer's speeding tickets on one day, as they don't want him coming back for ONE ticket. With that said, it is likely he may not show for the second time.

Good luck!
haha thanks for the correction,

Anyhoo, everything ASPEC135i said is correct... but here's the deal.

1-4 has to be asked for BEFORE your first appearance, if not the judge may ask you why you haven't asked for disclosure. It's YOUR responsibility to ask for disclosure.

Adjournment is not always good for the simple fact of you miss another day of work and the Officer will most likely show up due to:

-In York Region, an on duty Officer has to be sick or there's a serious emergency call
-If Officer is off duty, they are making mad cash and if the Officer misses court off duty, he/she will be loosing hours, so they are not gonna miss it.

Also, if you ask for an Adjournment, and you come in unprepared, be prepared to go to trial whether you like it or not.

I guess it all depends on the judge, some judge's will be nice that day, some wont.

Either way, I wouldn't pay a paralegal, they hardly go to trial and whatever they can do, you can do.

B
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
paintballdude05
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

There's some good info here!
      10-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
RJ87
Xdrive
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328i Xdrive LCI

As stated above, not to talk down on the profession, but a Paralegal does the exact same thing you could have done if you attended court.

They simply go on your behalf and hope the Officer does not show up so the charge gets dropped and they look good by "helping" you get the charge dropped. When your grandma could even go for you and get the same result if the Officer does not show up.

The only thing I would say a Paralegal could do for you is read and understand all the things Wolf 335 listed above and help dispute the ticket if you want it to go to trial.

However, for the most part, all I see in Court is a Paralegal help you plead guilty to a lesser charge that has no demerit points, a lower fine and help you request 90 days to pay. Which again makes them look good in people's eyes because they saved you the demerit points and some cash, but same thing, your grandma could attend court for you and help you plead guilty to a lesser charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Another very important thing to note is that having your charge dropped to a lesser one with no points does not mean it's a good thing.

Speeding fine that was reduced to 10km/h over and no points will have a same impact on your insurance as the original speeding fine. The way it shows up to insurance is simply as "speeding". Insurance however does not look at demerit points and I'm not 100% sure but I don't think they can even see that information.

So you have to be clever in these situations, for example it is better to take a fine with say 2 points and a charge of wrong turn, rather than speeding 10km/h over and no points.

This is something you should inquire from a traffic lawyer if they are willing to share the info for free.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Nick.B
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i, 330i, 335xi, 6MT sport

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ87 View Post
As stated above, not to talk down on the profession, but a Paralegal does the exact same thing you could have done if you attended court.
The also have a lot of practice, know the procedures, the legal terms and how the courts will interpret the HTA. They can still be useful.

I've gone to court myself and had a charge thrown out due to lack of disclosure. Easy.

I've gone to court myself and fought a ticket based on it's validity. Pretty sure it was a win, if the cop would have shown up.

More recently I paid a paralegal whose office was above the court I needed to attend to have something thrown out based on the officers notes (got disclosure myself) not matching the exact portions of the HTA that were cited. Weighed the time off work, travel etc vs. paying the paralegal to do it and decided it was worth the extra $50 or so to not have to worry about arguing the case in just the right way. I phoned it in. Never even saw the guy in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
wulfy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011, E90, M-Sport, 335i, x-dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335
^you're** (sorry had to)

3. Officers notes

Good luck!
To add to Wolfs post: ensure that the ticket you were served is identical to the ticket the officer registers.
I just got a ticket dropped completely because the officer added in something to do with the municipality location on the ticket after he served me my ticket.
Appreciate 0