E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > window rattle... fixed?!?!?!

01-28-2006, 11:16 AM   #1
DJRobbGordon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i-SpkGrph,BlkLt

Smile window rattle... fixed?!?!?!

so, i poseted a few days ago about a window rattle that was drving me nuts. (
HTML Code:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11556
) Well i think i fixed it and here's how.

First i did some researching on the other forums and it turns out this window rattle problem may not be the window rattling at all. Instead, it is the entire door rattleing due to dry door seals. (this problem goes back a very long time apparently. The remedy recomended is to clean the seals very well, then apply a seal lubricant such as gummi pfledge.

I couldnt find any gummi fledge at the discount auto place near my home so i instead used a good vinyl/rubber cleaner/protectant and you know what? rattles all gone. boy am i releaved. Hopefully this is the fix i have been looking for.

Here is the seal that causes all of the problems:

I would recomend also cleaning/lubricating the seal on the cabin that the pictured seal mates with.

This brings me to another point... I brought my car into BMW of Ann Arbor, i explained my problem to them in great detail. When p icked up my car not only did they tell me that they could not replicate the problem, which is , but they told me it MUST be due to the tints on my windows. If this is such a well known BMW quirk with a well know BMW fix, why the f didnt they know this... for god's sake, BMW used to (maybe still do) sell "Gummi-Pfledge" as an offical BMW part! This is the same dealership that told me the rattles coming from the package tray is due to my window tints as well, although all the regulars here know that it not true. I imagine when my engine blows @15,000 miles they will also tell me that is due to the extral load placed on the engine by the 375 grams of "aftermarket tint" on my window. Anyway, enough venting...

anyone know of a better substiture for Gummi-Phledge? it is not easy to find... as i said before i used a vinyl cleaner (Vinlex by Lexol, i think) but this is probably not the best stuff to use.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
rotts4u
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A3 TDI

Michelin now sells a rubber dressing that claims not to actually destroy rubber and vinyl like most tire dressings do. Another option if you have a CAMPING WORLD or other RV place nearby is to get some of the rubber dressing for slideout trim. It is a foam and is also safe for dressing these rubber gasket materials. They use it on $300K motorhome slide out gaskets so I think it will be fine for us too

don
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 07:23 AM   #3
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Could this maybe be the cause of the rear rattle so many of us have?

It only comes in cooler weather - and is like a ticking rattle sound?

The cold weather leads me to belive it could be this, because the metal would expand or retract in the heat/cold and leave the seals "vulnerable' and hence making noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
DJRobbGordon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 325i-SpkGrph,BlkLt

tnx rotts, i'll go look for the rubber dressing and let you all know how it works out.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Diesel Dude
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d (2002)

Carbaflo KSP 105

Hello, after having just purchased a used approved 320d (2002) noticed a rattle which seemed to come from both the driver and passenger windows. Pushing the glass with my hand did not do anything to solve the problem. Winding down each window half way however stopped the rattle - not an ideal solution i know!!!. After trying to source the above mentioned 'Gummi Pfledge' with no luck i approached my dealership. I was told that this product was no longer stocked and was sold an alternative product called 'Carbaflo KSP 105'. It came in 50g tube and was transparent in colour. I was doubtful at first that this product would cure the window rattle but after applying it to both the inner/outter seals and allowed to dry my problem was cured. I've only had the lubricant on my vehicle a couple of days so will report back at a later date with an update.

Last edited by Diesel Dude; 04-24-2006 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Mis-spell
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
difush
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Red face

When I got mine from the dealer, I've rattling in the car everywhere on the first day. I have spend several hours cleaning and lubricating all the rubber seals as well as the locks and now most of the rattling is gone. Now I can start pin-pointing where the rest of the rattlings come from and hopefully I will start to feel more like driving a new car than a 10 year old Honda.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
Babe
Test here
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobbGordon View Post

HTML Code:

First i did some researching on the other forums and it turns out this window rattle problem may not be the window rattling at all. Instead, it is the entire door rattleing due to dry door seals. (this problem goes back a very long time apparently. The remedy recomended is to clean the seals very well, then apply a seal lubricant such as gummi pfledge.

I couldnt find any gummi fledge at the discount auto place near my home so i instead used a good vinyl/rubber cleaner/protectant and you know what? rattles all gone. boy am i releaved. Hopefully this is the fix i have been looking for.

I would recomend also cleaning/lubricating the seal on the cabin that the pictured seal mates with.

This brings me to another point... I brought my car into BMW of Ann Arbor, i explained my problem to them in great detail. When p icked up my car not only did they tell me that they could not replicate the problem, which is , but they told me it MUST be due to the tints on my windows. If this is such a well known BMW quirk with a well know BMW fix, why the f didnt they know this... for god's sake, BMW used to (maybe still do) sell "Gummi-Pfledge" as an offical BMW part! This is the same dealership that told me the rattles coming from the package tray is due to my window tints as well, although all the regulars here know that it not true. I imagine when my engine blows @15,000 miles they will also tell me that is due to the extral load placed on the engine by the 375 grams of "aftermarket tint" on my window. Anyway, enough venting...

anyone know of a better substiture for Gummi-Phledge? it is not easy to find... as i said before i used a vinyl cleaner (Vinlex by Lexol, i think) but this is probably not the best stuff to use.
I would never never buy a car at BMW of Ann Arbor again...Idiot service department. My first 3 came from them....horrible horrible experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

yeah thats what my dealer said too
      07-13-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Yes, this is a very well known issues with bmw. My dealer described it as door seal popping sound. At first I thought it was loose electrical wire inside the door panel bouncing around as I hit bumps in the road. But once they applied that stuff on the seal, the popping sound went away. This was on my e46 bmw. I do not have this issue on my e90. Maybe they already applied that stuff on the seal already.
      06-18-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
lakelleher
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325

Thanks, DJ! I'm going to try this. I went to Ann Arbor BMW and got the same run around that you did. My BMW sounds like a 20 year old taxi cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRobbGordon View Post

HTML Code:

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
yoiko
First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93_Rzr View Post
Here is the real stuff!! I finally found it. It is a real BMW distributed product. Gummi-Pflege roughly means "rubber care" in german.

Here is additional information on Gummi-Pflege 101:
http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer/Gummi/

I was able to order the tubes from Tischer BMW at the following URL:
http://www.getBMWparts.com

On the search box, enter the part number: 82149407015. The tubes are only $8.31. Order a couple...

Window rattles be gone!!
82149407015 $10.39 $0.00 $8.31

RUBBER CARE TUBE
This part has been discontinued and is NO LONGER AVAILABLE from BMW. Please do NOT order
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
kurtdaniel
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

nice thread.,I recently had a problem with my car window..good thing I fixed it fast with the help of a Laitner manual.

Last edited by kurtdaniel; 10-05-2009 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #13
Ian535d
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535d M Sport

Just tried this method to fix an annoying rattle in my driver's door, and it seems to have worked perfectly. I found this product in the UK -

"Genuine BMW rubber care (spray)"

which I bought online at:

http://www.cotswoldstore.com/product...9_83120301480# (cost about £6).

It turns out that the can is labelled "Gummi Pflege" and the part number is 83.12.0.301.480.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
I used some CarPlan tyre shine in the seal, and job DONE. no more ratteling- Thank you so very much for this tip- i have no idea why applying this spray to this seal would rectify ratteling noises- but hey, its done it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
gubby
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi

I just had my windows tinted and the same problem. Thanks to the help on this thread I resolved it to my "quiet" satisfaction. I found some gummi pflege at eshine.ca: http://www.eshine.ca/1z_einszett_rub...e_34oz-117.php

Did all the seals and now the car is creak-free.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Why BMW have discontinued this product if the results seems to be so good?
Doesn't it "attack" the rubber?

Just wondering...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
PeterSunnyMan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Voltronic's Made in Germany M40 Rubber care spray

Hi, i have the same problem and learnt from this forum that it could be caused by stiff car seals due to prolonged exposure to sunlight.

Fortunately, i managed to get hold of some excellent products to clean and soften my car seal rubber.

Today, I used Voltronic's M60 to clean and then Voltronic's M40 spray soften the rubber very quickly. Very good!

http://www.voltronic-germany.com/contact.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #18
MainDeck
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 E24 6 Series

Thank you so much for the info! I've had a rattle on my passenger side seat since I GOT The car. I've never bothered to look into it too deeply because my car is old and I didn't see the point. I figured it was big deal! I'll have to try this when it stops raining!!!
funny facebook status

Last edited by MainDeck; 04-22-2012 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
biosundr
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i x, 2008 335i E93

Garage List
Loud groans/squeaks/creaks around the window seals - fixed

My 2009 335i started having these creaks and squeaks especially loud in the rear compartment. After searching - found this thread and a few others with potential solutions.

A couple of folks had great success with WD-40 but others wondered whether it would hurt the rubber because it was a petroleum based product.

So - I hopped on over to the WD-40 FAQ site (WD-40) to find out if it was safe for use on rubber products. Site said it was fine for use on rubber. Ok. Decided to give it a shot.

Sprayed WD-40 on a paper towel and then just wiped the seals around the door as shown in the pictures, and wiped the seals around the door opening. There was some kind of white powdery substance on the rubber (perhaps leftover residue from previous applications?) the WD-40 covered that all up. Ended up with the seals looking nice and black.

Took the car for a test drive. Absolute silence. All squeaks, creaks gone!! Gone, I tell you. It's been three days now - no squeaks whatsoever.

Took a total of 10 minutes. Already had the WD-40 and the paper towels. So I did not have to go anywhere to get parts. Instant gratification.

Thanks to Robb for posting the pictures. Very, very helpful indeed.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

I read in the detailing section about guys using leather cream or 303 Aerospace on the seals while they do their leather.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #21
bogi
Rep
Drives: bmw 320D E90

Talking

Bravo! After searching the internet for days I found this website and this excellent posting! I tried spraying silicone spray 3-in-One at the 'culprit' rubber and felt strip as shown in the picture by DJRobbGordon and the problem is almost gone now. I am going to spray a bit more later today, might have missed a few spots last night. Thanks a lot for this tip!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #22
kevina2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E93

Hi all,

I've been suffering from a rattle from my passenger door area for some time. When it's cold. I was happy to find this thread. I had nightmares it was something inside the door or dash, but this sounds exactly like it. I started to search for products that are still available. I found some Gummi Pfledge on a site called www.eshine.ca. It's not BMW but it literally says Gummi Pfledge and claims to be the solution for our woes. I've ordered two bottles for $10 each. I'll let you all know how it goes, but I may have to wait till next winter.

Caio,

Kev

Last edited by kevina2; 05-06-2011 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0