F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Ambient Lighting Trim removal
GetBMWParts

10-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Ambient Lighting Trim removal

I have been wrapping my interior trim and I was wondering if anybody has removed the ambient lighting trim pieces on the doors, I gave it a couple of shots but its not budging at all and I don't want to apply more pressure on the wrong spot and end up breaking something, can someone please help me with this? thanks in advance
      10-15-2015, 08:23 AM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
From what I understand, the connecting ends of the ambient lighting trim to the door are fused with the door panel itself from the factory. So really no easy way of removing it short of grinding it off and using replacement screws.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
From what I understand, the connecting ends of the ambient lighting trim to the door are fused with the door panel itself from the factory. So really no easy way of removing it short of grinding it off and using replacement screws.
oh boy! this sucks! I guess for now it will have to remain the way it is..
      10-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
PhantomF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M-Sport Mineral Gray

I took off my door panel to see because I tried the same project. Like Timbits said, it ain't coming off without serious work. I couldn't cut the top of the wrap clean enough to not see the flaws and the ends are a bitch.

Also, the pieces are $90 plus tax and shipping if you decide to try to remove the old ones.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomF30
I took off my door panel to see because I tried the same project. Like Timbits said, it ain't coming off without serious work. I couldn't cut the top of the wrap clean enough to not see the flaws and the ends are a bitch.
Yea I have been wrapping some difficult bits in the interior, I even wrapped my gear selector but but I won't even try to wrap the ambient lighting if it doesn't come out, there's no way I can do it while it's on the door... Damn it someone please find a way to make a cheap abs cover for this crap in China you will be rich in a month..
      10-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #6
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
I'm quite surprised that no one in China has made a cover for it. I mean you see chrome vents and window switch bezels but no ambient light trim...

Someone on the forums got their trim wrapped, looks pretty good from the pics.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93
I'm quite surprised that no one in China has made a cover for it. I mean you see chrome vents and window switch bezels but no ambient light trim...

Someone on the forums got their trim wrapped, looks pretty good from the pics.
Yeah I have seen that too, he also said they didn't come out and the shop did it while they were on the door, they charged him $100 for all 4 which is fair considering how hard it probably is, but I would be so shook to have anybody with a razor blade and a heat gun that close to my door panels lol... I hate the plain look of it but I will leave them like that for now until it annoys me so much I will eventually give it a shot myself...
      10-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #8
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
take your solder pencil and melt there plastic welds on the back of the door. cover in suede and put piece back on then remelt the platic or jb weld the plastic rivits back on.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
jack01
Registered
Rep
Drives: my car is so nice and awesome

I took the door card off and removed the light strip.
Couple of things if you've not removed the door card before.

1st, price the trim away from the right (near the hinge), not the left. Its all clips apart from the left where its a sort of a pushed afir.

2nd, don't drop the lower door pocket nut behind the door pocket, that's bad and annoying.

3rd,You don't need to remove the blind trim when removing the door cards.

4th, buy spare clips, I broke one, so not to bad really but its worth getting a hand full if you are doing other doors.

5th, the blind mech is kind of cool.

6th, its not a LED strip as i'd assume it to be. Its more like a sheet of paper that glows. I'm not sure on the correct term.

7th, its a bitch to remove and make sure you remove it up and out of the back of the door card. Not down and out the front.

8th, they are about £45 from Audi, not as bad as I thought it would be but it don't look like the sort of unit that would break, there is nothing to go wrong really.
I'm wondering if its the cable or control unit that's faulty but all other lights work, so I'm going with that.
To test it I have to take off another door card. unless someone knows what voltage they use and I'll attached it to something.

Has anyone else removed their door card?
what all your hex bolts covered in white paint with white writing over the back of the card?
I've only ever seen this from breakers, no sure if its something that audi did/do or its a 2nd hand card.
Appreciate 0