E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E90 Turbo kit (sneak peak)

Closed Thread

01-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 530i

E90 Turbo kit (sneak peak)

We're nearing the physical completion of our turbo kit for the E90. The car will be driveable this Wednesday. The turbo kit required a lot of special fabrication which will make the end result very very nice. However, it took a lot of work and ingenuity to pull it off.

My requirements for this particular turbo kit are:
1) No cutting or welding on existing components so that the car can be returned to stock if necessary.
2) Complete bolt on with no tuning necessary.
3) No check engine lights period!
4) Safe and reliable.
5) All hot parts must be heat shieded or ceramic coated.

We only had to violate #1 in one particular location. The car has a unique front air duct that also holds the radiator in place. There were two options, one, make a cutout in this air duct to provide perfect fitment for the intercooler or use a water/air intercooler. Water/air intercoolers have the unique problem that if they fail, they can hydro-lock a motor. That violates rule 4. So this kit will have an option that includes a new complete front air duct with the hole already cut out of it not violating any of my initial rules.

Here's a sneak peak at the front of the 330i nearly ready to roll. I'll take some videos of the 330 and post them up by the end of this week.

Take care,
Chris.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
stack
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

where is the rest of it we want more pics

stack
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #3
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

That should make for some heavy competition for the 335i !
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Ed_330i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

wow, this thing will own!!

any prelimenary boost figures? base hp??

awesome!!

15% tint all round
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Please make it for the 325i. Im so pissed about the new 328 and 335, especially since the 328 will be the same price as the current 325. Help me help you.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quick question...
What turbo are you using? What type of FMS are you employing? You said you're making it so no check engine light will appear, other than switching to a total standalone ECU (which I doubt could be done so quickly), you wouldn't be able to boost too much. Also, instead of cutting the front air dam to fit the fmic, anyway of not cutting anything by using a couple of side mounts? Will the bov be recirculating or venting to atmosphere? What kind of exhaust manifold it is using? Cast iron? Or one of those multi-joint welding kind? Will the cat be removed??

Sorry for so many questions, just very interested.
      01-30-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Quick question...
What turbo are you using? What type of FMS are you employing? You said you're making it so no check engine light will appear, other than switching to a total standalone ECU (which I doubt could be done so quickly), you wouldn't be able to boost too much. Also, instead of cutting the front air dam to fit the fmic, anyway of not cutting anything by using a couple of side mounts? Will the bov be recirculating or venting to atmosphere? What kind of exhaust manifold it is using? Cast iron? Or one of those multi-joint welding kind? Will the cat be removed??

so much for the quick questions.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

COOL!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
ZenDriver
Do Not Taunt Zen Driver.
Rep
Drives: 325i w/ MT, ZSP in Graphite

Being local, could I come over and take a gander at your work?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #10
db17k
Chicketeh china the chinese chicken, you have?
Rep
Drives: 335ci hold out

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
HAWT!!!!!! oh man I can't wait to see the video of this thing in action!

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quick question...

Good questions...

The turbo is a Garrett GT32 (capable of 400rwhp). For our first production version (stage 1) we are going to limit boost via an internal wastegate and will tune to somewhere in between 300 and 350hp. That power level will depend on a lot of factors.

The FMIC is a bar and plate (spearco design) which is much more efficient than the standard tube and fin. Side mounts would not work easily on this vehicle without major cutting. The core location we used is optimal as it is force feed from the air duct.

We will NOT be using a standalone. We have several methods of electronics that we will be employing starting with the most basic and working our way to the more advanced. I would prefer to use the more basic approaches that we've used on our other turbo kits. I'll give more details on this in a few weeks.

The blow off valve will recirculate back into the intake stream. I wanted the stealth approach for my BMW and I assume most other owners would not want people to know that they have a turbo in their car. So another rule not listed (#6) no noise.

Our full production exhaust manifolds will be cast iron and CNC machined. Our pre-production and early sales will be using stainless steel manifolds.

Our kit will include a custom catalytic converter. It is no easy deal. This is some serious fabrication. The space requirements in the vehicle and my complete bolt up rule required this special catalytic converter to be custom manufactured. The welds will be much cleaner in our production pieces. This was just to get the alignment correct.

Chris.

Last edited by HPF Chris; 01-30-2006 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i
Please make it for the 325i. Im so pissed about the new 328 and 335, especially since the 328 will be the same price as the current 325. Help me help you.
Yes,

We will be making it for the 325i. I'm not sure on the timeframe for that however. But I'm fairly confident we will have the 325i version completed by end of 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDriver
Being local, could I come over and take a gander at your work?
The BMW will be back here only briefly this week. Mike and Mark from Pacific Motorsports "The BMW Shop" will be the Northwest exclusive installers of these HPF turbo kits. We will be working with them to get the electronics ironed out and they will be providing installations for our local and Northwest customers. For those outside of this area or those that want to install the kits themselves, these kits come with complete instructions and can be installed by the average backyard mechanic.

Once the electronic components are completed, the car comes back here to get dynoed. You can definitely come by at that time.

Take care,
Chris.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #13
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i
Please make it for the 325i. Im so pissed about the new 328 and 335, especially since the 328 will be the same price as the current 325.
is this official from bmw? if so, when are the release dates?
what are the performance figures?

my old e36 320 was superceeded by a 323

my old e46 323 was superceeded by a 325.

i am aware that my e90 325 will be superceeded by something during its model life. no probs for me. my e90 is still improving just nicely in its performance stakes.

im not sure about adding on a turbo to a non turbo designed car controlled by a major computer system.

i chipped my 320 and 323 but im not touchung the 325. its wonderful.

all the best.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #14
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsepowerFreak
Good questions...

The turbo is a Garrett GT32 (capable of 400rwhp). For our first production version (stage 1) we are going to limit boost via an internal wastegate and will tune to somewhere in between 300 and 350hp. That power level will depend on a lot of factors.

The FMS is a bar and plate (spearco design) which is much more efficient than the standard tube and fin. Side mounts would not work easily on this vehicle without major cutting. The core location we used is optimal as it is force feed from the air duct.

We will NOT be using a standalone. We have several methods of electronics that we will be employing starting with the most basic and working our way to the more advanced. I would prefer to use the more basic approaches that we've used on our other turbo kits. I'll give more details on this in a few weeks.

The blow off valve will recirculate back into the intake stream. I wanted the stealth approach for my BMW and I assume most other owners would not want people to know that they have a turbo in their car. So another rule not listed (#6) no noise.

Our full production exhaust manifolds will be cast iron and CNC machined. Our pre-production and early sales will be using stainless steel manifolds.

Our kit will include a custom catalytic converter. It is no easy deal. This is some serious fabrication. The space requirements in the vehicle and my complete bolt up rule required this special catalytic converter to be custom manufactured. The welds will be much cleaner in our production pieces. This was just to get the alignment correct.

Chris.

Hot!

Wish I could dish out the cash for one.

By FMS I think he meant Fuel Management System, not FMIC.

BTW, is that the WG I see in the pic?

SG | Beige Dakota | Poplar || iDrive w/MP3 | PP | SP | CWP | PDC | Comfort | Shades || 40% Tint
| Black Line Tail Lights | Hardwired V1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 03:56 PM   #15
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

[QUOTE=poldim]Hot!

Wish I could dish out the cash for one.QUOTE]

This brings up a good point. About how much will this kit and install cost?

-Croaker
      01-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #16
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

wow keep up the good work guys can't wait for the videos!!!
      01-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #17
AW330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 330i

man it looks mean so far, keep us posted with prices, photos and dyno results
      01-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsepowerFreak
Good questions...

The FMIC is a bar and plate (spearco design) which is much more efficient than the standard tube and fin. Side mounts would not work easily on this vehicle without major cutting. The core location we used is optimal as it is force feed from the air duct.

Sounds pretty good so far. Ya, that weld does look a little scary down there. I would prefer cast iron, doesn't look as nice but less worries. I'm assuming you are going to be producing kits for sale? What is the price range you are estimating? Less than $15gs?

Haha, with the front mount on it won't be TOO stealthy. I personally loved the loud bov I had on my old car although the whole car looked stock. Any possibility to go vent-to-atmosphere for this car or will this throw off the a/f ratio on it? My old car had to go full standalone to do v-t-a.
      01-30-2006, 04:55 PM   #19
HPF Chris
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds pretty good so far. Ya, that weld does look a little scary down there. I would prefer cast iron, doesn't look as nice but less worries. I'm assuming you are going to be producing kits for sale? What is the price range you are estimating? Less than $15gs?
I agree about the cast iron and we will be submitting our manifolds to get the molding done a few months after the intial release. The reason for the delay between them is we are also fitting these kits into my 530i, and we would like to have the manifolds interchangeable.

The Stage One Kits will be priced less than 10K. I'm just not sure where quite yet. Once we figure out the electronics, we can dial in a price. I'll know more in a couple weeks.

The vent to atmosphere may be possible depending on the electronics we use. As that air won't be metered, we would need to trick the air flow to keep the car from hesitating or wanting to stall and some of the options we use have that capability. However... It is much easier to simply re-route it back in.

[QUOTE=AW330i]
man it looks mean so far, keep us posted with prices, photos and dyno results[\QUOTE]

Thanks.

poldim... i changed the acronym. I'm used to referring to it as an FMIC as well.

Take care,
Chris.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 05:28 PM   #20
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

Question? Is your turbo kit sanctioned by BMW NA and does it affect the vehicle warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #21
will1z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5 Silver Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
Question? Is your turbo kit sanctioned by BMW NA and does it affect the vehicle warranty?
Was your brain sanctioned by your body?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #22
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Bhahahaha
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread