THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Brakes/brake pads and track day abuse

11-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Brakes/brake pads and track day abuse

I gave my brakes a good abuse test at Autobahn Country Club. The brakes themselves performed pretty good without much drama (Motul fluid in them) although they are too soft (not enough bite) for my taste. The stock pads pretty much disintegrated by the end of the day. I'm happy to see them go as I don't care for them.

The rotors didn't warp, they did groove.

I decided to replace the pads with some EBC reds. Replacing them was pretty straight forward (thanks to a video link from pikachu in another thread), but what I found during replacement was not so good. I measured rotor temperature at the track at 570 degrees F. Pretty shocking considering we have ducting routing fresh air to that area. The pads saw a lot of heat (backing plate had slight bend). The dust covers for the pistons didn’t fare well either. As you can see in the pictures they degraded with the heat and will need to be replaced. I ordered some new ones from FCP at $25 a corner (just doing the fronts). I'm thinking there may be a cheaper non-BMW alternative? I’m wondering what the seals will look like. Anyone ever replace theirs?

I won't get the EBC reds on track until next year, but I my initial impression is good. They have a much better initial bite than the stock, even when cold. Worthwhile upgrade if you're considering it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Better pads should lower the temps, dust shields melt pretty easy on stock pads, Not that big of a deal, most race calipers do not have them for that reason.

I can't say I am a fan of upgrading just fluid as it will allow this situation to develop. If you run stock pads better to have the fluid start to fade before you damage other components. You should get the rotors skimmed or replace them as well.

Use some ceramic brake grease, temps should be good to 1000 or so. Replace pads and shields, stainless steel lines, maybe rotors and you should be fine unless you see fluid on the Pistons.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #3
casper83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Better pads should lower the temps, dust shields melt pretty easy on stock pads, Not that big of a deal, most race calipers do not have them for that reason.

I can't say I am a fan of upgrading just fluid as it will allow this situation to develop. If you run stock pads better to have the fluid start to fade before you damage other components. You should get the rotors skimmed or replace them as well.

Use some ceramic brake grease, temps should be good to 1000 or so. Replace pads and shields, stainless steel lines, maybe rotors and you should be fine unless you see fluid on the Pistons.
Thanks for the advice Pparana. Agreed on all points.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

PFC08's are good, Hawk DTC70/60, Pagid yellow
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

Just to clarify - it's not that performance pads lower temperature. They have a higher temperature before they gas off, which is what causes brake fade.

A better fluid simply has a higher temperature before it boils. What happens is the calipers get hot, the fluid boils and the air bubbles cause a squishy pedal. The brakes need to be bled after that.

To help lower temperatures try taking the backing plates off. That will help the rotor shead heat better. But cover any rubber bits in the area with heat resistant tape to prevent damage

Personally I'm a big fan of carbotech brake pads. Great temperature resistance, rotor friendly and easy to bed. After experiencing judder and pad transfer from other brands, even after proper bedding, I switched and have never looked back!
Appreciate 0