E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > New Track Feeler: Tri State Area/Philly

12-15-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
rocat14
Private
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 335i xDrive MT

New Track Feeler: Tri State Area/Philly

I was speaking to a few of my coworkers, and we came to the conclusion that we wanted to build track. Many of us are enthusiasts, and have now become enthused with the idea of making this happen.

Currently this is just an idea and I am in the pre-pre-preliminary stages of finding out what the costs/requirements are for building a proper track. To give very loose numbers, we would be working with approximately 15,000,000. This number is subject to change depending on the findings of my research.

The ideal scenario would be about a 4-5 mile track. Something that is safe enough for beginners to get on the track and have fun, but also can be challenging. The idea would be to host track days, schooling, races and even facilitate a few drag strips. Ideally, it would have 3-4 buildings as well as a service area which would be indoors and give drivers the opportunity work on cars for pre/post laps.

I have absolutely no idea what the costs associated with building this are, and I do have the ability to gain extra funding but I need to be able to approximate the demand for the area. What I would like to know is, people within the tri-state area, would something like this interest you. This course would probably be located about 20 minutes from Philadelphia. This location is also subject to change, because I am also in the process of looking at other locations that could make more logical sense.

I would love to hear feedback about this, and in the next few weeks will be able to provide more concrete ideas about this concept. This is the first of many forums I am going to reach out to, in the hopes to see what the enthusiasts around the area think about this idea. If there truly is interest in something like this, it can definitely happen. If there is a market and there is demand, this is something that could happen.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocat14 View Post
I was speaking to a few of my coworkers, and we came to the conclusion that we wanted to build track. Many of us are enthusiasts, and have now become enthused with the idea of making this happen.

Currently this is just an idea and I am in the pre-pre-preliminary stages of finding out what the costs/requirements are for building a proper track. To give very loose numbers, we would be working with approximately 15,000,000. This number is subject to change depending on the findings of my research.

The ideal scenario would be about a 4-5 mile track. Something that is safe enough for beginners to get on the track and have fun, but also can be challenging. The idea would be to host track days, schooling, races and even facilitate a few drag strips. Ideally, it would have 3-4 buildings as well as a service area which would be indoors and give drivers the opportunity work on cars for pre/post laps.

I have absolutely no idea what the costs associated with building this are, and I do have the ability to gain extra funding but I need to be able to approximate the demand for the area. What I would like to know is, people within the tri-state area, would something like this interest you. This course would probably be located about 20 minutes from Philadelphia. This location is also subject to change, because I am also in the process of looking at other locations that could make more logical sense.

I would love to hear feedback about this, and in the next few weeks will be able to provide more concrete ideas about this concept. This is the first of many forums I am going to reach out to, in the hopes to see what the enthusiasts around the area think about this idea. If there truly is interest in something like this, it can definitely happen. If there is a market and there is demand, this is something that could happen.
I have been thinking about this same idea for awhile now. I believe the business sustainability is the key question. What is the business model? Naturally, NJMP is a direct competitor.

I think it may work but it may need various activities to support operation during slow months. Some of those that I was thinking about are karting, teenage driving school with simulators, skid pad, drag strips etc. I do think this area deserves a nice 4-5 mi track (with room to expand) that would differentiate it from other tracks.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

If this works out, I'll have to drive up from Jackson, MS

Would be interested to see more tracks around. I am just getting into racing but isn't a 4-5 mile track pretty long?? I thought most were 2-3.

Anyway, good luck!! Hope it pans out.
      12-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #4
rocat14
Private
Rep

Yes 4-5 is long but that's sort of the point too. The idea is to design it with a longer track with some straight bits removable from other segmented track portions. An entire lap may not be 4-5 miles, but the length of all Tarmac will be 4-5 miles. I am going to post this across the other bimmer forums in hope to get some support (not financial). Hopefully we can get enough of a following to go through with this.
2011 Cayman S MT (For the Twisties)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
rocat14
Private
Rep

Also, in regards to the business model: there's a few things going into consideration that allow for a slightly more diverse revenue generation:

A more diverse track, teenage driving school, performance driving, go carting, rental for testing (this is TBD working on an agreement with a few companies), company retreats. There are actually a few more things I can't disclose yet, because the ideas are unique to this facility as it stands.

I will work on this as much as there is feedback. If anyone wants to contact me directly, please feel free to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocat14 View Post
Yes 4-5 is long but that's sort of the point too. The idea is to design it with a longer track with some straight bits removable from other segmented track portions. An entire lap may not be 4-5 miles, but the length of all Tarmac will be 4-5 miles. I am going to post this across the other bimmer forums in hope to get some support (not financial). Hopefully we can get enough of a following to go through with this.
To be able to afford all this how do you plan to fund?

Just curious, would love to see this work but one has to have a feasible plan to be able to execute it correctly.

Where would you buy land?

Who could design a track? A regular civil engineer or would you have to hire a specific one to design race tracks?
      12-17-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
rocat14
Private
Rep

Great questions, as far as the business model I cannot say too much just yet. In order to fully fund this project, I have 2 major resources (apart from my own/coworkers) where I can gather the funding. The major issue here is ensuring that the community wants** this course in a location surrounding Philly. If this is the case, the two separate investors will commit to the funding. I also, am in the process of generating documentation that illustrates the business model, and once all of this gets processed I can open it up to the community. At that point, a few of your questions will be answered. Currently we are estimating approximately 10,000,000 to be the required funding, but this is TBD and based on a few things that are subject to change. There are two major options, increase the track length and the overall owned land, or focus more on location. I have yet to find out what would be in a higher demand. Would people consider driving an extra 30-60 miles for a much larger track/isolated experience or would they prefer a track that is more easily accessible (off a major highway or airport - like close to Philly).
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 04:58 PM   #8
rocat14
Private
Rep

Also forgot to mention, my coworkers are all engineers of some sort - and we all have friends who are civil/mechanical engineers. I am on the fence about if we should design the track in house using other great tracks as a model, or if we should have someone come and design it. Allocating funds towards having it designed are costly, and maybe not required just yet. We might be able to come up with something very good ourselves.

In my mind, there will be good fun for all levels, and we can introduce more technical aspects of the course through smart track design.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 11:31 PM   #9
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I'm down!

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
rocat14
Private
Rep

We are going I be creating a website with a few tools for the purposes of understanding the market. That should be live in the upcoming weeks.

Is there anything specific that would be of interest? Also, we will have multiple corners that can be voted on to be put in the track. I am hoping to have some social networking setup for this in the near future as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

At this point I think your biggest goal is to get the word out and have some plans drawn up, maybe even one showing elevation changes too. Just a thought.
      01-13-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
rocat14
Private
Rep

The website should be going live this weekend, hopefully by Sunday.

Getting the word out there is definitely the best way to go about doing this -- I am hoping that with an actual website with resources and centralized plans can be something that people will visit for information. We will have a signup and a newsletter to start.

The response has been good, especially considering we have not done any marketing or social media pushes yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 03:14 PM   #13
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Wrong place to ask.

http://www.trackhq.com/forums/

Give that a try if you haven't already. This isn't the ideal target market you're looking for.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2016, 02:02 PM   #14
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Do market research. Cannot stress this enough (more than a thread on some obscure BMW forum). If it were me, I would research the hell out of what has led to the success or failure of many other tracks. Find a way to contact owners who have failed and pick their brains about what happened/the challenges faced and what they would do differently. I have loose connections with the owner of Blackhawk Farms Raceway here in Illinois. They did a full build out of new buildings recently and really breathed life back into the track. A guy like that might be a good person to reach out to, to get insight from - and perhaps ask to join your advisory board if you are seriously considering this endeavor.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #15
FamilyManTrackSedan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 pre-lci 335xi 6mt sedan

It's not the wrong place to ask if you're gauging driver interest.

This would be exciting. It seems there's a void between NJMP, Pocono, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Palmer, and Thompson, in the northern NJ/NY state area - and hey that happens to be right where I live, about 2-4 hours from any of these.

So if you're going to spend millions to do this please do it right by me and the thousands of other enthusiasts here.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Look at Liberty Bell Motorsports park.

Took damn near a decade to get all the permits through, etc.

Now that they're finally ready to break ground, the guy ran out of money...

http://www.libertybellmp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Liberty-Bel...8098162565449/
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Look at Liberty Bell Motorsports park.

Took damn near a decade to get all the permits through, etc.

Now that they're finally ready to break ground, the guy ran out of money...

http://www.libertybellmp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/Liberty-Bel...8098162565449/

Ya, I was going to chime in and say that one of the biggest barriers I've heard of is permits and regulations (environmental and otherwise).

That being said it would be great if your group could pull this off.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #18
jimj911
When the F#$% did we get ice cream?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E92)

Garage List
was there ever a website released for this?

'08 BMW 335i, Dinan Stage 2
'14 BMW 535d Xdrive Msport, Stage 2
'14 Dodge 3500 Cummins Longhorn dually
'15 BMW X5M
Appreciate 0