THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Further thoughts on Dinan Shockware for 228i THP?

12-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Further thoughts on Dinan Shockware for 228i THP?

There still doesn't seem to be much discussion of this mod in the 2er forum, although there seem to be plenty of happy campers over in f30.

The one or two here who do have it (e.g. BarryJI) seem to love it and declare it as a no-brainer.

I can definitely feel the floaty sensation in Comfort, and (to a lesser extent) in Sport, and I would love that to be gone. I don't want to give up too much "comfort" though, and the jury still seems to be out as to whether the modified Comfort is the same as the stock Sport or something in between.

Anyone else?

The secondary problem for me is that my alleged local Dinan dealer (West Bay Bavarian of San Rafael, CA) seem to be uncontactable. The contact form on their (ancient) website doesn't work (it rejects the submission saying the phone number entered is the wrong format), the post I made on their (very stale) Facebook page two weeks ago has gone unanswered, they don't seem to have a direct e-mail address, and I've now left two voicemails on their phone without them getting back to me. I do try to patronize local businesses, but it doesn't seem like they deserve it. I'm going to have to take a trip to BMW SF or just to Dinan HQ at this rate.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

[QUOTE=simoneves;19102306]There still doesn't seem to be much discussion of this mod in the 2er forum, although there seem to be plenty of happy campers over in f30.

The one or two here who do have it (e.g. BarryJI) seem to love it and declare it as a no-brainer.

I can definitely feel the floaty sensation in Comfort, and (to a lesser extent) in Sport, and I would love that to be gone. I don't want to give up too much "comfort" though, and the jury still seems to be out as to whether the modified Comfort is the same as the stock Sport or something in between.

Anyone else?

I have the Dinan Shockware on my 228i THP. I'm happy with it,but the effects are hard to quantify.They are noticeable but subtle which seems to be the Dinan philosophy -don't get too far from the factory feel.
The car's ride during normal driving-stop and go,freeway cruising-is just like stock. When pushing it harder though corners,the car feels more tamped down and into the road with some of the understeer gone.Considering that it is a relatively cheap mod,and it passes the wife test, it's worth installing. I'm considering installing Dinan springs to dial out some more understeer when I take the car out of storage next Spring ,if I can determine if they too pass the wife test.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
qfsk
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I have install Dinan Shockware when the car had about 500 miles on it, at 5K miles now. Night and day difference in my opinion. The car handles more like my old E90 with sport package. Much more level in corners, less body roll when changing lanes. The suspension tightened up just enough to feel like a proper BMW. I am considering adding Dinan springs next as the ride is still a bit too soft for my liking even in sport mode.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2016, 02:26 AM   #4
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

I can't attest shockware is a no brainer
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
I can't attest shockware is a no brainer
Cannot quite parse the double-negatives there. Are you saying you like it, or the opposite?

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #6
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

lol oops good catch! I meant to say "can". Yeah I love shockware. I'm also toying with the idea of installing Dinan's springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

I have the Shockware and I just committed to the springs and ride kit. I will report back. Anything which dials out roll and removes softness without spoiling the ride is good in my book.
Appreciate 0