THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Taking the plunge: Dinan springs and ride kit

02-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Taking the plunge: Dinan springs and ride kit

I've been eyeing this for a while. I have successfully modded my 228i M-Sport with the Dinan S1 tune, Shockware suspension mod and exhaust but the only things that made me hesitate re. springs were (i) I will never track the car and (ii) Los Angeles streets can be cruel to a lowered car. I've decided that, like most non-extreme Dinan products, this one is designed more for the street than the track and I can almost always anticipate and avoid hazards to a vulnerable low front end. My tuner tech, whom I trust completely, tells me I will much prefer the way the car handles with the springs and ride kit.

So, before I take the plunge, would anyone with experience or knowledge or even merely an opinion, speak up, either for or against? Many thanks.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:20 AM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
I've been eyeing this for a while. I have successfully modded my 228i M-Sport with the Dinan S1 tune, Shockware suspension mod and exhaust but the only things that made me hesitate re. springs were (i) I will never track the car and (ii) Los Angeles streets can be cruel to a lowered car. I've decided that, like most non-extreme Dinan products, this one is designed more for the street than the track and I can almost always anticipate and avoid hazards to a vulnerable low front end. My tuner tech, whom I trust completely, tells me I will much prefer the way the car handles with the springs and ride kit.

So, before I take the plunge, would anyone with experience or knowledge or even merely an opinion, speak up, either for or against? Many thanks.
I have the Dinantronics and Shocktune on my M-sport also and I am considering the springs and ride kit when I get the car out of storage this Spring. You're right about Dinan products being non-extreme so I don't think the ride quality will be degraded which is important to me. I'm glad to hear your tech believes the car will handle much better,which is what Dinan claims.I would prefer them to lower the ride height a little more for aesthetic reasons. They only seem to lower the height 2-3 mm from the Adaptive suspension height. The H&R springs lower the car more like I would prefer,but there have several instances mentioned on this forum where they cause premature shock failure for various reasons. So I think Dinan is also a better choice for that reason.
I've also always felt bigger sway bars, especially in the rear, help a car rotate around a corner much better. But installing them in this car is such an involved and expensive process, ie loosening motor mounts,jacking up the engine,moving parts in the rear suspension,etc, I'm leery about doing it.
Hey, if you install the springs and kit you'll be 1 point away from a Dinan badge. Maybe you'll want to pop for the sways and a Dinan point!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the useful response. I know I could go way more extreme with both engine tunes and suspension mods but a lot of those products are asking for trouble in an expensive to maintain new car under warranty and it would be boy-racer vanity on my part anyway, as I am never going to track the car and am just looking for ways to optimize street performance as thoroughly as possible.

My tech, who runs one of the very best indie BMW tuner shops on the west coast and races BMWs, told me a horror story about a car he worked on with a really elaborate suspension modification that was so aggressive that it essentially ruined the driveability of the thing and kept destroying the shocks. He said I could get a better time around the Nurburgring with a more radical spring and shock set than Dinan's but for as long as I am going to be dealing with LA roads on a daily basis, this is the best compromise between performance and practicality.

As for lowering, yes, it's not extreme by any means and the car's stance might benefit from another centimeter or two but even at stock with THP I am pushing my luck on some driveway entrances and speed bumps. I wouldn't mind a good CF lip spoiler either but that is asking for trouble.

I have thought about the Dinan badge but it strikes me as a bit too flashy and not my style unless it will enhance the resale value of the car. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #4
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the useful response. I know I could go way more extreme with both engine tunes and suspension mods but a lot of those products are asking for trouble in an expensive to maintain new car under warranty and it would be boy-racer vanity on my part anyway, as I am never going to track the car and am just looking for ways to optimize street performance as thoroughly as possible.

My tech, who runs one of the very best indie BMW tuner shops on the west coast and races BMWs, told me a horror story about a car he worked on with a really elaborate suspension modification that was so aggressive that it essentially ruined the driveability of the thing and kept destroying the shocks. He said I could get a better time around the Nurburgring with a more radical spring and shock set than Dinan's but for as long as I am going to be dealing with LA roads on a daily basis, this is the best compromise between performance and practicality.

As for lowering, yes, it's not extreme by any means and the car's stance might benefit from another centimeter or two but even at stock with THP I am pushing my luck on some driveway entrances and speed bumps. I wouldn't mind a good CF lip spoiler either but that is asking for trouble.

I have thought about the Dinan badge but it strikes me as a bit too flashy and not my style unless it will enhance the resale value of the car. What do you think?
I agree with your observations, but I think a Dinan badge would be cool.But that might open me to accusations of being a badge whore,right.I wouldn't spend the money on sway bars just for the badge,though.
Your tech verifies what radical lowering does to the EDC shocks .The last thing I would want to do is replace these undoubtedly expensive shocks before their time.
You're right, the front bumper/valence of the M-Sport,THP cars is very low in stock form. I didn't have the car two weeks when I scraped the bottom of it on the top of a curb. It was the impetus to buy touch up paint. So why would I even think of much more lowering?

Last edited by Tpeterson; 02-04-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
I would prefer them to lower the ride height a little more for aesthetic reasons. They only seem to lower the height 2-3 mm from the Adaptive suspension height. The H&R springs lower the car more like I would prefer,but there have several instances mentioned on this forum where they cause premature shock failure for various reasons.
I just checked, the drop is 1/2" front and rear, which is somewhat more significant.

Anyway, I am going ahead with the mod, thank for your interest, Tpeterson.

Dinan springs for F22 228i

Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality and Handling Kit for F22 228i

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #6
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A post with your impressions after the install will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A post with your impressions after the install will be appreciated.
Will do! Hoping it'll be done in ten days or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #8
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Sub
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #9
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

SITREP: Getting this done on Wednesday (2/10/16).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
LimeRockM235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Get a room you two
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRockM235 View Post
Get a room you two
We'll get a room when you get a life.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
LimeRockM235
Private First Class
Rep

Sweet burn kelso,i was just playing man. I used to have a 535 with the dinan springs and spacers a few years ago. there spring rates are spot on felt like stock and looked a whole lot better. i was out in LA over the summer though and if you wanna see the worst roads in america for lowered cars you gotta come east to the tri-state area.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 02:58 PM   #13
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Of course, all in jest.

I don't think they do spacers for the 2 yet, or I would have been tempted. The roads here are basically ok but you have to be vigilant, especially in the hills. Concrete parking stoppers are savage. I would not lower the car at all of my wife ever drove it but don't tell her that.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's the one thing which concerns me about lowering. That said, mine's not an M-Sport so it has a bit more clearance under the front, but I've still scraped it on parking bumpers a couple of times already. Nowhere near as bad as my previous E93 M-Sport, though. As that other thread concluded, I really should just get in the habit of backing into spaces.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #15
LimeRockM235
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Of course, all in jest.

I don't think they do spacers for the 2 yet, or I would have been tempted. The roads here are basically ok but you have to be vigilant, especially in the hills. Concrete parking stoppers are savage. I would not lower the car at all of my wife ever drove it but don't tell her that.
cant go wrong with the burger spacers.
      02-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
That's the one thing which concerns me about lowering. That said, mine's not an M-Sport so it has a bit more clearance under the front, but I've still scraped it on parking bumpers a couple of times already. Nowhere near as bad as my previous E93 M-Sport, though. As that other thread concluded, I really should just get in the habit of backing into spaces.
Well I would certainly be pushing it if I got a CF front spoiler lip! As it is, yup, the car will be low and I will have to be careful. I am working very hard to avoid all contact. I hate kerb rash, for example, but the swiveling passenger-side reversing mirror is very helpful with that. Once you know that the front sensors cannot be relied on to see those low concrete stoppers, you can avoid being lulled into a false sense of security.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #17
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

FYI, not sure why no one is admitting it on this forum but with the dinan springs + 12mm spacers in front i rub on the highway if there is a decent dip or suspension punishing bump on the road. But then again as Limerock said, we have the worst roads here so maybe it is just me...?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #18
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^ My current reading matter. Interesting coincidence. ^^

The drop looks great, really enhances the car's stance without making it look "funny". It's an M-Sport, though, so I really must be careful with that front end around irregular surfaces.

Most importantly, the ride is much sportier in all modes. My wife will hate it. It's still a very smooth ride, not at all harsh, but the car feels more "live", i.e. a lot more planted and connected to the road with more tactile feedback to the driver. I am sure it will corner much better and that there will be less understeer but it may be a while before I get to test that in L.A. traffic (although I am enjoying what I think is more instantaneous turn-in).

I will put up pics tomorrow but I am pretty sure that, with the snugger fit of the wheels inside the wells, spacers will complete the look. It's a pretty straightforward mod but I haven't done it before so would anyone care to share some impressions or experiences with spacers? Nothing extreme is called for. I know SuperBran complains above of rubbing with the Dinan drop plus 12mm spacers when driving on undulating roads; I do not want to have to deal with that.

PS the book is very good if you like thrillers.

Last edited by BarryJI; 02-11-2016 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #19
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBran View Post
FYI, not sure why no one is admitting it on this forum but with the dinan springs + 12mm spacers in front i rub on the highway if there is a decent dip or suspension punishing bump on the road. But then again as Limerock said, we have the worst roads here so maybe it is just me...?
FYI, my tuner tech reckons 12mm in front might be too aggressive and cause rubbing. He recommends 10mm and (I think) 15 for the rear.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #20
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If the ride is still smooth,why will your wife hate it? My wife loves the ride in all modes right now. I don't want to turn it into something she would hate.(peace in the family,you know) Everything else you've experienced sounds exactly like what I would want in this mod.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #21
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the initial report. I look forward to a follow-up once you've lived with it for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #22
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If the ride is still smooth,why will your wife hate it? My wife loves the ride in all modes right now. I don't want to turn it into something she would hate.(peace in the family,you know) Everything else you've experienced sounds exactly like what I would want in this mod.
Yes, please forgive my flippant comment. We've been married thirty years so there must be some history of mutual toleration of each other's quirks and enthusiasms. She won't mind the adjusted ride that much but she may well notice a significant difference, even in Comfort mode; I really like that difference, as it makes the car feel much livelier but it will strike her as a less cushioned ride. I will submit a full report when I've driven it more and got spacers (which I think are needed to complete the look, otherwise it seems half-done) but, for all my joking about the Mrs., bear in mind that, even for a supposedly "mild" or "conservative" Dinan modification, you will be trading in a certain amount of of carefully-engineered insulation from the road for a certain amount of equally carefully-engineered connection to the road, with every bump and undulation thereon.

Appreciate 1