F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Diffuser Wrap Video - Alpine White with Matte Black
proTUNING Freaks

02-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #1
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i xdrive

F30 Diffuser Wrap Video - Alpine White with Matte Black

Hey,

So I decided to wrap my non m sport diffuser on my 2013 328i, so I figured I'd film it to help anyone out who was looking to try it.

Total cost was about $15.. Good luck!

Appreciate 5
      02-07-2016, 09:57 PM   #2
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

Used the same technique for the stripes on my f30. Good video.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 04:38 AM   #3
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30 M/T -13

Wow! Nice video, will do the exact same thing but with a glossy wrap. Is that the 3M 1080 wrap? Didn't have sound so sorry if you said it in the video.

How well did the knifeless tape work in the bends? Does it look good, not jagged? Do you have any closeups on the cuts?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #4
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
Thanks! Yea, it's crazy expensive to have done by a pro, but if you can do it yourself, it's super cheap
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #5
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joq3
Wow! Nice video, will do the exact same thing but with a glossy wrap. Is that the 3M 1080 wrap? Didn't have sound so sorry if you said it in the video.

How well did the knifeless tape work in the bends? Does it look good, not jagged? Do you have any closeups on the cuts?
Thanks! The glossy will look good, I saw a picture of a car with that. I have a glossy spoiler and the only reason that I didn't go glossy is I think I've seen more cars with a matte black plastic diffuser and I liked the look. Either way it looks great...

As for the film, I didn't use 3m. Everyone always goes that way, so I thought I'd try something else and I went with Avery Supreme. It worked great and it was a few bucks cheaper. This piece was like $12 on eBay.

As for the knife less tape... It didn't work as well as I hoped. It's definitely not a smooth cut and I had to go back and super carefully use my knife to clean up the cuts. The best way that I can explain it is that it looks like you tore the vinyl, instead of cutting it. It's not bad from far away, but up close it looked terrible. I don't know if I took any pictures... But I have some left over, so maybe I can find a scrap piece and show you what it looks like..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 05:57 AM   #6
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkeys View Post
Thanks! The glossy will look good, I saw a picture of a car with that. I have a glossy spoiler and the only reason that I didn't go glossy is I think I've seen more cars with a matte black plastic diffuser and I liked the look. Either way it looks great...

As for the film, I didn't use 3m. Everyone always goes that way, so I thought I'd try something else and I went with Avery Supreme. It worked great and it was a few bucks cheaper. This piece was like $12 on eBay.

As for the knife less tape... It didn't work as well as I hoped. It's definitely not a smooth cut and I had to go back and super carefully use my knife to clean up the cuts. The best way that I can explain it is that it looks like you tore the vinyl, instead of cutting it. It's not bad from far away, but up close it looked terrible. I don't know if I took any pictures... But I have some left over, so maybe I can find a scrap piece and show you what it looks like..
Was afraid of that, was about to purchase this tape. But maybe it is better to carefully cut it with an xacto-knife? How do the edges hold up? I see you have snow and bad weather over there too. Will they tear up?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Was afraid of that, was about to purchase this tape. But maybe it is better to carefully cut it with an xacto-knife? How do the edges hold up? I see you have snow and bad weather over there too. Will they tear up?
The edges should be okay. Just heat them up and make sure you secure them down. I think 3M makes something called "edge lock" that is basically a glue for the edges. That's probably worth looking into. The good thing is that since it's on the back of the car, it won't take a beating with wind, rocks and bugs like your front bumper does.

I'll tell you what, even though the knife less tape didn't work as well as I hoped, it still gave me a good rough cut. This way, you can still get all the extra vinyl off your car and then go back and do some fine cuts
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:

Here is what it looks like, before going back over it with a knife... Sorry, I took this on my phone..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #9
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkeys
Quote:
Thanks! Yea, it's crazy expensive to have done by a pro, but if you can do it yourself, it's super cheap
Ohhh yeah. Very expensive. The craziest quote I got was $800 to install and the least was $400 which is still insane. Did my stripes myself and saved a whole lot of money. My cuts weren't so jagged, although they didn't end up completely straight

Thanks for the video! I'm gonna give it another shot. My first attempt ended in frustration and a lot of wasted vinyl
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #10
pentagon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328xi

Great video! Can the vinyl withstand the heat generated by the exhaust tips?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:29 PM   #11
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon
Great video! Can the vinyl withstand the heat generated by the exhaust tips?
Thanks! Great question.. I would imagine so, but I guess time will tell. I think there is a little bit of a gap between the actual exhaust and the tip, so maybe that helps keep temperatures down? I'll have to keep an eye on it and let you know, especially in the summer
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 03:32 PM   #12
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysn
Quote:
Quote:
Ohhh yeah. Very expensive. The craziest quote I got was $800 to install and the least was $400 which is still insane. Did my stripes myself and saved a whole lot of money. My cuts weren't so jagged, although they didn't end up completely straight

Thanks for the video! I'm gonna give it another shot. My first attempt ended in frustration and a lot of wasted vinyl
Yea give it another shot.. You'll get it..

As for the knife less tape, I watched another video of a guy using it and he did it crazy fast. Maybe I didn't do it fast enough? Or maybe it was because it was really cold? I'll have to experiment
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As for the knife less tape, I watched another video of a guy using it and he did it crazy fast. Maybe I didn't do it fast enough? Or maybe it was because it was really cold? I'll have to experiment
I think speed is key. I slowed down on some of my cuts cause I couldn't reach it and the cut wasn't as good as the others
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think speed is key. I slowed down on some of my cuts cause I couldn't reach it and the cut wasn't as good as the others
Yea, that must be a factor
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
joq3
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Here is what it looks like, before going back over it with a knife... Sorry, I took this on my phone..
I just installed my 3M 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap.
Did not use the knifeless tape as you had to go back to cut it anyway. But what I had trouble with was getting straight cuts with only a knife. I tried to cut in the "groove" but it is kind of "wavy". And also tried fixing this, but it is very hard to fix.

Do you have any ideas how to get it super straight? I'm thinking of redoing it!

Can I buy some tape to make a straight line to follow?

Sadly I notices I also got some scratches on the paint when cutting it with a knife, but it is plastic, and as long as the vinyl is there you can't tell. I really wish it will hold up though!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #16
Bryan_KiesMotorsports
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I just installed my 3M 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap.
Did not use the knifeless tape as you had to go back to cut it anyway. But what I had trouble with was getting straight cuts with only a knife. I tried to cut in the "groove" but it is kind of "wavy". And also tried fixing this, but it is very hard to fix.

Do you have any ideas how to get it super straight? I'm thinking of redoing it!

Can I buy some tape to make a straight line to follow?

Sadly I notices I also got some scratches on the paint when cutting it with a knife, but it is plastic, and as long as the vinyl is there you can't tell. I really wish it will hold up though!
Hey, well at least you have it a shot!

What I would do is go out and by one of those thin metal yard/meter sticks. You can get them for like $1-$2 and they will give you a perfect edge. Tape may work, but the problem with it is that even if you follow the edge, you can still cut into the tape.. I'd try some kind of metal or plastic ruler..
Appreciate 0