XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

Roof Rails: what's the deal?

This topic was mentioned in another thread, but I didn’t want to hijack…

I just can’t figure out the roof rails. I don’t see them listed as an individual option anywhere in the product brochure, nor are they identified as being part of any option package. That kind-of suggest that they are standard equipment, but so many of the pictures are of cars without the rails, so I really don’t think they are standard. Does anyone have any information on this??

Palbay – you’re the man with all the awesome pictures… would you be so kind as to attach to this thread a couple of pix showing cars with and without the rails? Let’s see if we can get a discussion on the subject (love’em or hate’em – I’m sure everyone has an opinion, and suggestions, on the subject).

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Why bother anyway you can always add them later...
(according to my dealer anyway...)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

With and Without Roof Rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post

I just can’t figure out the roof rails. I don’t see them listed as an individual option anywhere in the product brochure, nor are they identified as being part of any option package. That kind-of suggest that they are standard equipment, but so many of the pictures are of cars without the rails, so I really don’t think they are standard. Does anyone have any information on this??

Palbay – you’re the man with all the awesome pictures… would you be so kind as to attach to this thread a couple of pix showing cars with and without the rails? Let’s see if we can get a discussion on the subject (love’em or hate’em – I’m sure everyone has an opinion, and suggestions, on the subject).

Thanks,
The first several shots are w/ roof rails the last group w/o roof rails.I'll post a couple of more w/o from the rear.Thanks. PalBay
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Rear Shots W/O Roof Rails

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post

Thanks,
Rear Shots w/o
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 05:18 AM   #5
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

The roof rails are a dealer fitted option, so there should be no need to decide yet prior to build. They are included in the X6 accessories catalogue and are available in either Titanium or Anthracite. I have no idea on the price yet.

I am considering buying a set and then fitting whenever needed, otherwise I will be driving without roof rails most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
I think the X6 looks better without them and I am not going to order them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Possible differences in different countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
The roof rails are a dealer fitted option, so there should be no need to decide yet prior to build. They are included in the X6 accessories catalogue and are available in either Titanium or Anthracite. I have no idea on the price yet.
You are correct in the UK, but there is no guarantee that options will be the same on both sides of the Atlantic. Roof rails are not even mentioned in the BMW Canada 2008 Product Planning Bulletin for Sales Personnel (version 2), which tells me that the powers that be haven't made final decisions yet on some option mixes. All it takes is for some executive's wife to say Oh honey, look at those lovely roof rails, and all of a sudden they are standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
branko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530d, X6 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
You are correct in the UK, but there is no guarantee that options will be the same on both sides of the Atlantic.
Worst case shipping them from the UK, Europe or the US shouldn't be a problem...
Appreciate 0