F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Heated Steering Wheel Conversion
Extreme Powerhouse

02-26-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Question Heated Steering Wheel Conversion

Hi Everyone,

I need to tap into some expertise here.

I have a 2012 F30 with the cold weather package and heated steering wheel.

I purchased a M Sport wheel off of EBay that was said to be heated. I went to have it installed today and the dealer is telling me that there needs to be a heating module that will go with the wheel before the heating function can work with my new wheel.

The tech even tried to use the old module from my sport wheel to get it to function, but the connectors are apparently different.

If anyone can shed some light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated.

I love the M Sport wheel. I went ahead and had it installed anyway and am going to try to get the necessary parts to make it work. I'm hoping someone can give me the information I need to get this fixed.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

You need this part (61317849393) in this diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_3457

that corresponds to your options. Also #5 here if you don't have it :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_2169
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Shazsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

If you send me pics to my name at gmail I can try to help you further.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 06:39 AM   #4
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
A big thanks to Shaszta!!

Those of us who buy a heated steering wheel need to make sure you have these parts or you are out of luck.

The wheel works great and my hands are nice and toasty again.
      03-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 -Yas Marina/Silverstone

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Do you know if all M Sport steering wheels have the heating elements built into the wheel already? I have a 2013 335i M Sport and have the M Sport leather steering wheel (option# 710) that it came with from the factory but I don't have the heated option (#248). I am wondering if I can just add the rest of the components, wiring, and VO coding necessary, but need to know if the M Sport wheel is "heat-ready" from the factory. I am not able to find anywhere online that specifies if the actual steering wheel itself comes in a heated version vs. a non-heated version. Can anyone chime in?

Last edited by F80_BK; 03-03-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanF30 View Post
Do you know if all M Sport steering wheels have the heating elements built into the wheel already? I have a 2013 335i M Sport and have the M Sport leather steering wheel (option# 710) that it came with from the factory but I don't have the heated option (#248). I am wondering if I can just add the rest of the components, wiring, and VO coding necessary, but need to know if the M Sport wheel is "heat-ready" from the factory. I am not able to find anywhere online that specifies if the actual steering wheel itself comes in a heated version vs. a non-heated version. Can anyone chime in?
I believe you would have to have the 248 option. You would need the activation switch on the steering column to make the heated wheel work. I was lucky enough to have that. There isn't an opening on the column to add the switch and run the necessary wiring to connect it to the wheel. Plus you need to have the module with the wheel and possibly a different harness for the wheel itself.

I don't believe that every wheel already has the heated feature in it. Not real sure though
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #7
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the reply... the extra parts are simple enough to get to make it work. Heres a good write up with pictures that shows everything you mentioned, with the button, the replacement piece with the hole for the button, etc. My only concern was figuring out if the steering wheel itself has a heating element or if I was going to be wasting money buying a new wheel if mine already has it. I cannot find 2 different versions of the M sport steering wheel. I was hoping there might be a visual difference, if there is in fact a heated vs non-heated M sport wheel.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231186
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanF30 View Post
Thanks for the reply... the extra parts are simple enough to get to make it work. Heres a good write up with pictures that shows everything you mentioned, with the button, the replacement piece with the hole for the button, etc. My only concern was figuring out if the steering wheel itself has a heating element or if I was going to be wasting money buying a new wheel if mine already has it. I cannot find 2 different versions of the M sport steering wheel. I was hoping there might be a visual difference, if there is in fact a heated vs non-heated M sport wheel.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231186
Hi SupermanF30,

Unfortunately you are right, there is no visual difference to be able to tell without seeing the wheel with the trim piece removed, then you can clearly see that there is a connector in the bottom right spoke on the steering wheel.

The part numbers for the M-Sport wheels are 32307848339 for Heated version and 32307848338 for Non-Heated, but it can be difficult to locate the part number on the wheel itself. The easiest way I found was to look for wheels that had the Electronics Control Module visible in the right side of the airbag opening, and then see if the seller would send me the VIN so I could run it on a BMW Vin checker and see if that car had the Heated Steering option.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
F80_BK
M3MBER
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Hi SupermanF30,

Unfortunately you are right, there is no visual difference to be able to tell without seeing the wheel with the trim piece removed, then you can clearly see that there is a connector in the bottom right spoke on the steering wheel.

The part numbers for the M-Sport wheels are 32307848339 for Heated version and 32307848338 for Non-Heated, but it can be difficult to locate the part number on the wheel itself. The easiest way I found was to look for wheels that had the Electronics Control Module visible in the right side of the airbag opening, and then see if the seller would send me the VIN so I could run it on a BMW Vin checker and see if that car had the Heated Steering option.
Awesome info, that helps out a lot! Thanks a bunch. I guess I will try to open my wheel up and see, but it sounds like I probably need a new wheel if my car doesnt have the option from the factory.
Appreciate 0