THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications eBay CF Side Mirror Covers

03-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

eBay CF Side Mirror Covers

My car arrived today!

It's a 2014 m235i 6-speed from Florida. I think the first thing I'd like to do is replace the side mirror cover with carbon fiber ones.

Has anyone tried these eBay ones?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-BMW-E84-F...JUGTIH&vxp=mtr

Curious about build quality, fit, and carbon quality.

Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

I bought mine directly from there! (when i clicked on the link it said "Would you like to buy another one?" haha) It ships from Cali so only took 3 days to get it across the country.

The fitment is 8 out of 10. It clamps right on without issues, but it is slightly larger as the edges are ever so slightly raised above mirror frame. But once you have both on it looks close to OEM. (OEM is flushed with the mirror frame).

The quality looks good and feels good, but they probably use a cheaper version of Carbon Fiber. I've only had it for maybe a month? so not sure about long term. I'll be waxing them once a month.

Anyway, when i got mine, the driver side was defective. The carbon weave was awkwardly off, making it look like a dent on it. I contacted the eBay seller and were able to switch that out free of charge (didn't even have to pay shipment back, but took 2 weeks for the swap to occur).

When i got the new one in, it had a similar but much smaller defect in it, but this time it was so small that i can't even capture it on camera with direct sunlight (It was like two strands of carbon that weren't straight). I let the seller know about it, and he offered a discount or to swap it again (i didn't want to waste another 2 weeks plus this defect was very small, so it didn't bother me compared to the other one) so i took the discount and satisfied.

**He claims a bad batch but who knows. Overall after the discount for the small defect, i am not at all complaining, and looks really good.

These are Mirror replacements and NOT the cover ones you see mostly in other eBay listings, so that was a huge plus for me at that price.

This is the first Defective one i got which was unacceptable (The replacement cover i got, had a similar defect but at a really small scale that is hard to capture on Camera)

It has the same Carbon Fiber pattern as my newly installed lip

Last edited by StarMan; 03-03-2016 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
I bought mine directly from there! (when i clicked on the link it said "Would you like to buy another one?" haha) It ships from Cali so only took 3 days to get it across the country.
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. Your car looks amazing, congrats.

Ok I think I'll go ahead with these. I like dealing with eBay and Amazon sellers because in my experience they usually take care of you.

How difficult are they to install? Any instructions you recommend to follow?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
I like dealing with eBay and Amazon sellers because in my experience they usually take care of you.

How difficult are they to install? Any instructions you recommend to follow?
Yea with eBay you have eBay protection so at least you have that covered. The seller will respond within 24 to 48 hours.
*No instructions included

Installation was easy. Start from the inside of the mirror (closest to window) and pull on it. Once you hear the clip release or a small gap is between the cover and frame, with your fingers continue to pry it off. (DO NOT USE ANY TOOLS, this will risk damage on cover and paint).

When i took mine off it, it felt and sounded that it was going to break. Actually thought i broke the clips when i took it off as it made a loud "plasticy" crackling sound. Took a close inspection, tapped on the mirror itself to see if any thing bounced or rattled in there but was pleased to find nothing broke, not even a scratch.

Just apply even pressure all around when pulling (and use two hands, because that mirror will fly off if not haha. My passenger side flew like a slingshot but landed on the clip side on the smooth garage floor, so no scratches)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: at the speed limit

that page says "f22" but isn't on the compatibility list.

starvmarv

can you confirm this is the same link you purchased from?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfour View Post
that page says "f22" but isn't on the compatibility list.

starvmarv

can you confirm this is the same link you purchased from?
I can confirm (image attached when i click your link). Also go to page 4 on the compatibility list, you'll see M235 on there

F3x and F2x mirrors are the same even if only said for the 3 or 4 series.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

I believe the new RW Carbon Fibers are screw on. With CF mirrors, you get a lot of potential thieves as these pretty much rip off. Something to think about I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
I can confirm (image attached when i click your link). Also go to page 4 on the compatibility list, you'll see M235 on there

F3x and F2x mirrors are the same even if only said for the 3 or 4 series.
totally missed that, haha.

i ended up using the drop down, which i felt would have been faster. since the listing states only 2014, when i chose 2015, it said that it wouldn't be compatible. SMH. they just need to update their compatibility list.

should've known better since 3 and 4 series were on there. just wanted to make sure there was no caveat.

thanks! appreciate it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenfour View Post
totally missed that, haha.

i ended up using the drop down, which i felt would have been faster. since the listing states only 2014, when i chose 2015, it said that it wouldn't be compatible. SMH. they just need to update their compatibility list.

should've known better since 3 and 4 series were on there. just wanted to make sure there was no caveat.

thanks! appreciate it!!

I've never felt more appreciated in my life.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #10
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post

I've never felt more appreciated in my life.
Haha. My comp froze while I clicked it once. While it froze for a few seconds, I clicked multiple times. Didn't know that was happening.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #11
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

I received mine from this seller today. For what I paid, I am happy. A good wax really brought out the shine in them. The only noticeable difference is, these are thicker and stick out more on the top than the oem. I am now curious about their CF spoiler.

I'm too lazy to embed each picture one by one, so here's an album with them all... And duplicates in there too.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebush121 View Post
I received mine from this seller today. For what I paid, I am happy. A good wax really brought out the shine in them. The only noticeable difference is, these are thicker and stick out more on the top than the oem. I am now curious about their CF spoiler.

I'm too lazy to embed each picture one by one, so here's an album with them all... And duplicates in there too.

View post on imgur.com
Nice, they look great! Still haven't pulled the trigger on mine, but will post pics when I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

don't know why it took me so long, but i just put in my order for this.

can't wait till it comes in!

Current: '15 F22 EB 228i | M Sport | 6MT | Dinan | Rotiform | 35% tint | CF side mirrors
Gone: '11 B8 A4 | '08 Infiniti G37 Coupe 6MT | '04 E46 M3 6MT

Last edited by tenfour; 03-29-2016 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #14
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

So do these still seal well against the housing?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #15
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

Bump, anyone?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:10 PM   #16
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEBreh View Post
So do these still seal well against the housing?
The mirror themselves has the "double lipped" edges to force the flow of water elsewhere other than the inside. If i recall it seals it pretty well from the top (even with edges popping out a bit comparing to OEM).
Appreciate 1