E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Pros vs cons Jarek vs Bpc tune

03-08-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

Pros vs cons Jarek vs Bpc tune

I was just wondering if anyone could chime in and give some feedback.

It appears The Jarek tune is less expensive. And they seem to be further ahead with the egr shut off and the scr removal tidbits. They now offer USA support.

BPC seems to have higher / monsterous dyno numbers. And is catching up with the emissions deletes quickly.

Any other positive information or experiences anyone can share to sway a potential customer either way?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

I researched both and found them comparable, but the USD has strengthened some since my research. I would have had to ship the ECU to Jarek, whereas I could drive to BPC. The international express delivery equalized the costs, so I chose the more local option. After I had already pulled the trigger, I did see that Jarek teamed up with a US distributor.

BPC did me right. I did the deletes and replaced the red charge pipe at the same time. I am very happy with the power and the mpg improvement.
      03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
NC335d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2017 Audi Q7  [0.00]
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
2006 Nissan Titan SE  [0.00]
2008 MB CLS550  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5 SAV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdeezy
I was just wondering if anyone could chime in and give some feedback.

It appears The Jarek tune is less expensive. And they seem to be further ahead with the egr shut off and the scr removal tidbits. They now offer USA support.

BPC seems to have higher / monsterous dyno numbers. And is catching up with the emissions deletes quickly.

Any other positive information or experiences anyone can share to sway a potential customer either way?
I don't know how you can say that "Jarek is further ahead with EGR shutoff and SCR tidbits". You might want to read some of the most recent reviews of the BPC tunes.

I am more than happy with my BPC tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5d and 335d

BPC customer service is un-matched.. That's most important
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #5
QUIKDZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

+1. BPC just tuned my car with all emissions hardware intact, and defeating the EGR with the tune. It's awesome. See my Clean Stage 2 Tune thread.
      03-08-2016, 05:02 PM   #6
shnaggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDi

Have not dealt with JR so can't comment on that, but BPC was great to deal with, great customer service!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
My god, you've started a war!

I've been comparing the two. The dyno graphs aren't really directly comparable. The few pm I've received say that JR is a little faster in races but not by much. Basically given the same hardware both perform similarly. Probably both are based on the same tune and use the same 3rd party tools, as it's unlikely either company had the computer science expertise and hardware to break the dde encryption . Typicaly a 3rd party company cracks the encryption and rewrites the code, and let's the tunes customize it using their tools.

Basically I'd say on the same hardware they perform similarly. JRs tunes are significantly less expensive and have a several years of shelf life.

BPC seems to have excellent support and a lot,of,participation on the forums. However there haven't been a lot of cars racking up a ton of miles yet on bpc tunes.

Both offer full deletes and hybrid turbos

Bpc seems to deal better with the stock turbos and the over spool issue.

JR has good support if you email them. Too me it's a toss up, both are good options.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #8
Mrdeezy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d m-sport

Thanks for all the info guys. It is very confusing on who to pick. They both seem very good. I don't really believe in shopping strictly on price. I would want the more reliable tuner. Would probably need support at some point. Also, if I ever needed a revision for meth or turbos that would be great as well. I think for a lot of us newer owners, Its very difficult to differentiate between the two.

thanks again
jajaja!!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:14 PM   #9
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
My god, you've started a war!

I've been comparing the two. The dyno graphs aren't really directly comparable. The few pm I've received say that JR is a little faster in races but not by much. Basically given the same hardware both perform similarly. Probably both are based on the same tune and use the same 3rd party tools, as it's unlikely either company had the computer science expertise and hardware to break the dde encryption . Typicaly a 3rd party company cracks the encryption and rewrites the code, and let's the tunes customize it using their tools.

Basically I'd say on the same hardware they perform similarly. JRs tunes are significantly less expensive and have a several years of shelf life.

BPC seems to have excellent support and a lot,of,participation on the forums. However there haven't been a lot of cars racking up a ton of miles yet on bpc tunes.

Both offer full deletes and hybrid turbos

Bpc seems to deal better with the stock turbos and the over spool issue.

JR has good support if you email them. Too me it's a toss up, both are good options.
+1 for most of this....Glad this discussion has stayed somewhat civil

Many do appreciate the interaction with Bob on the forum, myself included. And it looks like JR's distributor AARodriguez just joined as a vendor so no doubt we'll be hearing more from him and he'll be providing support as well.

JR does have the advantage of being out longer to prove the reliability of their tunes but BPC's are plenty reliable so far from what their customers are saying.

Not sure regarding the comment of the stock turbos and over spool, as JR's tunes deal with the stock turbos just fine without any issues.....Hope you're not basing that comment on my car's modifications lol

And yes, just because Jarek isn't on the forum as much doesn't mean there isn't support, he (and his distributor now) has always been willing to stand behind his product post sale for issues and/or upgrades.

The decision is a tough one because they both offer great products
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #10
locolobo
Oil Burner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d Barbera Red Metallic

Garage List
I'll be a tester for BPC, this week. I steered to BPC for a few reasons - no international shipping, no customs. Recommended on the forum. Very good communication so far. I wish the price was lower; I wish we had the OBDII programming through the OBDII port. It's nice to see they can program for every style, apparently.
      03-09-2016, 02:08 AM   #11
tuikku
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335d

This does not belong to me in any way.
But still it is not fair to compare like this.
You are not able to check in any way, how the work is done and probably you don't even understand though you see it.

So, then comparing is only, I feel, my opinion, great, like ....
Unnecessary thread.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2016, 02:22 AM   #12
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Glad that this did not turn into a sausage fest...

I'm sure a few of us old-timers can attest to some of our painful experiences with a downpipe that did not fit and a tune that did not turn off EGR and kept spraying urea mixing with soot. That was in the past with a tuner that we so really wanted to succeed.

Let's be glad that we now have two good sources with great refined tunes that work, great hardware, customer support and great companies that are willing to support us in our projects.

Lots of great BPC and JR feedback. Personally, I've been running JR for over 1.5 years and it has been perfect and problem free from day one. Did I mention: No Codes.....
Appreciate 3
      03-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #13
sukutash
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, 2020 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
I'll be a tester for BPC, this week. I steered to BPC for a few reasons - no international shipping, no customs. Recommended on the forum. Very good communication so far. I wish the price was lower; I wish we had the OBDII programming through the OBDII port. It's nice to see they can program for every style, apparently.
JR's tune is available in the Atlanta metro area as of the new year with his new US distributor. Just thought you should know.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #14
HeatherM35d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5d and 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku
You are not able to check in any way, how the work is done and probably you don't even understand though you see it.

Unnecessary thread.
I agree with 'tiki hut' on this one..this thread is pointless, just here to start some huge battle and have people fuming over top their keyboards
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #15
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM35d View Post
I agree with 'tiki hut' on this one..this thread is pointless, just here to start some huge battle and have people fuming over top their keyboards
Seriously, give props to both JR and BPC. They have put a lot of resources and effort to map their tunes for this car. Remember only about 10,000 335d's were imported. How many of those are still active, and then how many of those will be tuned? This is a very small and niche car, not to mentioned its out of production. The logical decision would have been to ignored the M57 and concentrate efforts on the N57. Next up will be the B47 (4 cylinder) & B57 (6 cylinder) next generation diesels.

Great job by JR and BPC!
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

You really can't go wrong with either option.
      03-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #17
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

I have RENNtech's programming and the alphabet soup deleted and car has been running excellently for the past 3-4 yrs since its programming, the only down fall I've had was the crank pulley breaking but besides that I hv had no codes and no problems, to say that one or the other is better than each other is like saying which brand of beer you like. Jr has been able to amass a great following and now we have a newcomer , we've waited for 5 yrs and finally we're moving forward. I've decided to stay where im at cause for ONE I don't do the drag strip and two I like leaving aholes behind with what I got. Lets be happy and enjoy these two guys
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 08:14 AM   #18
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuikku View Post

Unnecessary thread.
You are correct that most probably wouldn't understand what is actually done in the tuning, but that doesn't really matter to most people. The end result is what's most important.......Forum members should be able to ask who prefers what and why as the OP did and get some well-balanced answers, experiences and relevant facts without a vendor bash. Isn't that the point of a forum?

And see, when members give a little thought to what they type on their keyboards we can have a civil discussion and there's no need for anyone to get pissed
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2016, 09:09 AM   #19
rulonger
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d E90 & 2010 328i E91

We can compare costs
We can discuss which services either provides - mechanical install, delete, meth, etc
We can share our experiences about customer service from A or B
We can share our joy with the results from A or B

And I am unsure if there is anybody that has run both tunes, so comparability is difficult.

But I see this as very positive - there are two viable options and each shop has some very satisfied customers. They both make the d community better. And that makes the choice harder.

A hat tip to both A and B
      03-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #20
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

The bigger question in my mind is what is the 'base tune' used? Was it originally a tune from a Euro M57 that has been tweaked for our US cars? If so, many of the more sophisticated US OBD codes and safeguards likely don't exist to give the driver ample warning of a problem, such as a clogged DPF or other factors that affect the health of the mechanical systems. Call me skeptical, but I am inquisitive of this for a reason.
      03-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #21
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

I believe the "base tune" as you refer to it, would be whatever is contained in the DDE you send to them.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #22
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberArchetype
I believe the "base tune" as you refer to it, would be whatever is contained in the DDE you send to them.
I'm not so sure that's true which is why I was putting this question out to the two maestros.