E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Anyone have lots of experience with BMS CAN tool?

03-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Anyone have lots of experience with BMS CAN tool?

Hey guys,
When I bought my JBD, I got the BMS CAN tool as well, but never really utilized it for ALL that it could do. I was stock at the time and just using it to reset codes if I had my JBD set too high.

However, now that Im out of warranty, I want to do some emissions bypassing...like EGR blocking plate and such and Im not quite clear on all of the messages this thing will clear automatically when its always plugged in (or manually). BMS no longer sells this device and will not support it at all due to emissions regulations (they may have gotten into trouble about it)

Here is the relevant portion of the factory instruction manual that I am wondering about....
For your convenience the CT can be equipped to automatically delete certain codes when they go pending
(e.g. before light is displayed on the dash). Included in this list are tuning detection codes, exhaust
modification codes, and other annoyance codes that are not relevant to cars running in non-emissions
related situations such as with dedicated race cars. Real codes will still continue to display a check engine
light.
The main question I have...and I think I know the answer....will this automatically clear codes that are caused by the EGR block plate? But What else will it automatically clear? SCR related codes if I pull the fuse?

I guess I need someone thats got a ton of experience using this thing and doing emissions bypassing... Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
Hey guys,
When I bought my JBD, I got the BMS CAN tool as well, but never really utilized it for ALL that it could do. I was stock at the time and just using it to reset codes if I had my JBD set too high.

However, now that Im out of warranty, I want to do some emissions bypassing...like EGR blocking plate and such and Im not quite clear on all of the messages this thing will clear automatically when its always plugged in (or manually). BMS no longer sells this device and will not support it at all due to emissions regulations (they may have gotten into trouble about it)

Here is the relevant portion of the factory instruction manual that I am wondering about....
For your convenience the CT can be equipped to automatically delete certain codes when they go pending
(e.g. before light is displayed on the dash). Included in this list are tuning detection codes, exhaust
modification codes, and other annoyance codes that are not relevant to cars running in non-emissions
related situations such as with dedicated race cars. Real codes will still continue to display a check engine
light.
The main question I have...and I think I know the answer....will this automatically clear codes that are caused by the EGR block plate? But What else will it automatically clear? SCR related codes if I pull the fuse?

I guess I need someone thats got a ton of experience using this thing and doing emissions bypassing... Thanks guys.
I know it clears the EGR block plate codes and probably clears your SCR codes but I don't know what it DOESN'T block. Would also appreciate a good answer to that question.

Because of the uncertainty I've been taking it off once a month or so, driving a few days with the SES on, and then checking the codes to see if anything other than the emissions codes was causing the SES. So far nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Thats good news

Well at least that helps. If it will definitely clear the EGR codes I can move right into ordering a block plate pronto and then get it all set up for not having to deal with that carbon shiz again.

You mentioned SCR codes....which ones do you think/know it clears? Currently I am getting intermittent level and temperature codes.... But what if I pull the fuse to the tank entirely like it says to do when you put on a flash?

If it handles both of those....Im pretty much set for a bit. What about errors caused by throwing on a downpipe instead of the dpf?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post
I know it clears the EGR block plate codes and probably clears your SCR codes but I don't know what it DOESN'T block. Would also appreciate a good answer to that question.

Because of the uncertainty I've been taking it off once a month or so, driving a few days with the SES on, and then checking the codes to see if anything other than the emissions codes was causing the SES. So far nothing.
As a follow up question....do you think/know you are getting DPF regens with the CAN tool hooked up? its my only concern right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #5
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaDZL View Post
As a follow up question....do you think/know you are getting DPF regens with the CAN tool hooked up? its my only concern right now.
Regens are definitely still happening. Can't really answer your questions about SCR codes because all I'm running are the block plates.

The way I understand it the code-suppression feature is really low risk. You're not actually coding anything, it's just clearing certain codes on the fly as they pop up. Before you gut your SCR or do anything irreversible I would set it up, pull the fuse, and see what happens.

Like I said above, my only concern is missing a code that's not emissions related that could hurt the car if left uncorrected for too long, which is why I check it every now and then.

Eventually I'll get a proper tune but for now this is working for me.
Appreciate 0