E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Carly Fault Codes

03-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
goodm3
Miami Diesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650i GC

Carly Fault Codes

Can anyone help decipher what the following faults mean?

Thanks,

DMG

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

Carbon build up and O2 sensor
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 10:57 PM   #3
goodm3
Miami Diesel
United_States
Rep

Carbon build up? I had the CBU cleaning done 6 months ago under warranty.......
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:23 PM   #4
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodm3 View Post
Carbon build up? I had the CBU cleaning done 6 months ago under warranty.......
In that case it's probably one of two things, either you got a bad injector or they didn't do the zero mass adaptation process correctly.

I went through I think 4 injectors and about 6 trips to back to the dealer after my carbon cleaning before they finally got it right and I stopped getting those zero mass adaptation and cylinder roughness errors.

There is a very specific process that they need to run through to get the injector adaptations set correctly that in my case involved five 10 mile calibration trips with the car allowed to go to sleep (locked for one hour) between drives, as well as a series of chants and incantations in between. (I'm serious except for the chants and incantations bit).

In my case they actually had to run this process twice to get it to "take." Maybe one of the trips was only 9.8 miles the first time they tried, who knows.

I've posted about my injector issues so if you go back and search through those and then go into your dealer as educated as possible hopefully you can avoid having the same issues I had. I would try to convince them to redo the calibration using whatever PUMA says is the latest and greatest method before just throwing new injectors at the problem.

Good luck. I hope you have some remaining warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 11:38 PM   #5
temporaptor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335D MSport / 12 X5 35d

^^ what he said ^^ if cbu clean has been done you need your ECU updated to the latest version and your injectors properly calibrated by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:28 AM   #6
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavronm View Post
In that case it's probably one of two things, either you got a bad injector or they didn't do the zero mass adaptation process correctly.

I went through I think 4 injectors and about 6 trips to back to the dealer after my carbon cleaning before they finally got it right and I stopped getting those zero mass adaptation and cylinder roughness errors.

There is a very specific process that they need to run through to get the injector adaptations set correctly that in my case involved five 10 mile calibration trips with the car allowed to go to sleep (locked for one hour) between drives, as well as a series of chants and incantations in between. (I'm serious except for the chants and incantations bit).

In my case they actually had to run this process twice to get it to "take." Maybe one of the trips was only 9.8 miles the first time they tried, who knows.

I've posted about my injector issues so if you go back and search through those and then go into your dealer as educated as possible hopefully you can avoid having the same issues I had. I would try to convince them to redo the calibration using whatever PUMA says is the latest and greatest method before just throwing new injectors at the problem.

Good luck. I hope you have some remaining warranty.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot to BMW, I am not looking forward to getting mine back together after my CBU clean and injector issues. I mean really, I have worked on damn near every brand of car there is, and never had a car need such calibration. Its and injector, either it fires or it does not. Leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #7
goodm3
Miami Diesel
United_States
Rep

I love this car, but it sure is a pain in the ass to be at the dealer every month.

Isn't an injector calibration is more likely to shop up immediately after CBU cleaning rather than 6 months later?

Strange that my repair receipt doesn't actually mention anything about carbon...

Car was at dealer for 2 weeks back in August..

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Well the swirl flaps sticking is because they are gummed up with carbon. So it is likely that they cleaned at least them.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
JOHNNYBRAVO1
NY BRAVEST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Monaco blue, 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan82 View Post
Well the swirl flaps sticking is because they are gummed up with carbon. So it is likely that they cleaned at least them.
Can't ISTA D with the icom a+b+c do all the calibrations? And reset values. I do agree these cars are way to computer driven with way too many sensors.
Appreciate 0